Probs w/ Planets within each others Gravity Wells

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cannibal

Probs w/ Planets within each others Gravity Wells

Post#1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 am

Im sure this is a noobie question, but Im having a hell of a time getting my ships to go where I tell em. The prob is with two planets, close enough to have overlapping grav wells. I can't get them to go from one to another without first leaving the grav well(s) and wasteing a turn on what should be an 18ly hop. Are there any special rules concerning situations like this I am unaware of?

Thanks
C

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 am

Which client are you using to play?
If you are using JVC and the gravity wells overlap it might be a funny.
The problem is that JVC tried to save you some fuel and use the gravity well for movement, but in this instance the travel to is still in the original gravity well and you ship is pulled back.

To fix it, you need to click the G next to the way point in your control panel so as not to use the gravity well for movement. See my JVC guide on ship movement http://vgap.innernet.co.za/jvcguide/#Ships

Gilgamesh

Re: Probs w/ Planets within each others Gravity Wells

Post#3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:48 am

Cannibal wrote:wasteing a turn on what should be an 18ly hop.
18ly? Gravity wells are 3 lys. If you are going 18 ly between two planets there shouldn't be any overlapping gravity wells. What warp speed is your ship and what are you setting as a waypoint on each turn?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cannibal

Grav Well Hell

Post#4 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am

My mistake Gilgamesh, I ment 1.8 ly distance.
And yes BitMask I am using JVC, I hadent even thought the G toggle might be a prob. I was just reading the VGAP Wiki, it says that I can move warp 1 in a grav well without interference w/ gravity (thats how I interpreted it anyway) That might have causing probs too. At any rate w/ "G" set to the exact coordinates of the planet and at warp 1, I shouldnt have a problem....hopefully...

Thanks again guys,

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I'll use a warp > 1 if I were you. Just make sure the G is off and you will be fine.

Gilgamesh

Post#6 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I like Winplan!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

streu

Post#7 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I like Winplan!
The "lock to edge of warp well" can be implemented to avoid this problem, it just seems that JVC didn't do it. PCC will even set the waypoint to behind the planet if setting it to the planet itself would cause the ship to be dragged elsewhere.

--Stefan

Cannibal

Post#8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm

BitMask wrote:I'll use a warp > 1 if I were you. Just make sure the G is off and you will be fine.
Yes, but the planets are within the other's grav well If I goto the destination planet, without leaving the the other's field, wont I just be dragged back if I go faster than 1?

Thats what I got out of the Warp Well page at the VGAP Wiki.
http://vgaplanets.org/index.php/Warp_Wells

The planets are so close that its hard to even warp past one well to the far (non overlapped) side.

And I like WinPlan just fine Gilgamesh, It just dont like my new 'puter.... But that another problem, and if we drag in PCC's virtues too we'll start another "BEST CLIENT" debate.

c

streu

Post#9 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Cannibal wrote:
BitMask wrote:I'll use a warp > 1 if I were you. Just make sure the G is off and you will be fine.
Yes, but the planets are within the other's grav well If I goto the destination planet, without leaving the the other's field, wont I just be dragged back if I go faster than 1?

Thats what I got out of the Warp Well page at the VGAP Wiki.
http://vgaplanets.org/index.php/Warp_Wells
JFTR, that Wiki is not about VGA Planets as we know it, but primarily at that "Nu" version. In its own words, but should more or less apply to all VGA Planets 3 implementations, which means details may differ.

To answer your question: a ship is not sucked towards a planet if it already orbits another one. That is you can reach a planet-within-another's-warpwell by moving directly to it, you won't be dragged to the other. Checked with current PHost source code and HOST 3.22.46 disassembly.
And I like WinPlan just fine Gilgamesh, It just dont like my new 'puter.... But that another problem, and if we drag in PCC's virtues too we'll start another "BEST CLIENT" debate.
You could also take it as an incentive to peep into PCC2's source code and improve JVC's "G" function using that. That's why PCC2 is free-as-in-speech.

--Stefan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm

The real VGAP wiki is right here.

http://www.vgap.planetmaker.de/wiki/index.php

and Donovan's.
Regards,
][avok

Cannibal

Post#11 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:45 pm

streu wrote:
JFTR, that Wiki is not about VGA Planets as we know it, but primarily at that "Nu" version. In its own words, but should more or less apply to all VGA Planets 3 implementations, which means details may differ.

To answer your question: a ship is not sucked towards a planet if it already orbits another one. That is you can reach a planet-within-another's-warpwell by moving directly to it, you won't be dragged to the other. Checked with current PHost source code and HOST 3.22.46 disassembly.
--Stefan
Havok wrote:The real VGAP wiki is right here.
http://www.vgap.planetmaker.de/wiki/index.php
Thanks guys warp well info and setting me strait on the VGAP Wiki(s)

Off topic, but because you mentioned VGAP Nu Stefan, I am quiting my games there. Takes too long to play turns, crappy controlls & its still too buggy. Guess I cant live without Auto-Tax & Build.
If anybody wants to take over a kick ass start fot the robots (@ Turn 19) let me know its yours. The game is 10126: Murphrid 432 System. PM me and Ill resign. Imeditly so you ca snatch it.

And thanks again for all the help you guys gave concerning my frusterating situation.
c

Return to “Intel”