VGA Planets and GPL

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

bastianwilly

VGA Planets and GPL

Post#1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 am

Hello,

in my last topic I was searching for a suitable multiship battle system. On this way I was amazed by the lack of GPLed code.

I'm active in open-source projects and I have fun developing small things for games once in a while. While digging around in all this vga planets software, I found some tendencies
- First the big shareware time, everyone programmed a little bit for vgap and sold it as shareware
- Then things like phost. People started to rewrite and port things
- Almost noone publishes his work under the GPL?! I only saw VPA on sourceforge

I mean things like FLAK would be a fantastic playground. One must just ensure to follow a mainline and not split it into a 1000 forks - if so many vgaplanets fans are left :)

-bastianwilly

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 am

VGAP came from an pre-FOSS era so it is natural that most of the apps for it still do the shareware thing as they mostly come from the era as well.
Many of the apps also has bits of code that came from Tim and his code is not open source, so that code cannot be open source.

JVC is also open source on sourceforge.

Lately I also am thinking allot about getting an openPlanets thing going so that the game can live on and hopefully grow. (similar to Open Transport Tycoon Delux - my other favorite all time game)

streu

Re: VGA Planets and GPL

Post#3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 am

bastianwilly wrote: - Then things like phost. People started to rewrite and port things
- Almost noone publishes his work under the GPL?! I only saw VPA on sourceforge

I mean things like FLAK would be a fantastic playground. One must just ensure to follow a mainline and not split it into a 1000 forks - if so many vgaplanets fans are left :)
Why do you insist on GPL?

FLAK (and PCC2) is effectively BSD. That is, you can do everything with it you can do with GPL code. I chose the BSD-style license to make it possible to do closed-source things. Not because I want to be evil, but because I want to be able to publish .exe files if someone wants them without anyone pissing my legs because my source code doesn't match the .exe to 100% (and I do not want to publish the DOS .exe source code because it's a big mess which I cannot sensibly support). But I promise I will not be evil.

The problem with PHost is that the original author(s) do not want to risk conflicts with Tim by publishing the reg key validation algorithm. However, I believe this is no longer a problem as VPA is out there, with Tim's blessing.

For the record, the PHost development kit (PDK) is GPL.

--Stefan

bastianwilly

Post#4 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 am

OK, I see. Thanks!

well probably I was too much into pcc1 that I overlooked the pcc2 license and sources. And I just wondered about phost, kind of a flagship of portability, being closed. Togehter with the many closed other software pieces like TKF and PVCR2 I got this misconception of newer programs and ultitlities being closed.

Well then - now I feel free to play around!

If I ever write some more or less significant patch, I'll send it to you :)

cheers,

Bastian

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Stefan has some great docs on the file formats used in VGAP which is essentially free and are a great tool to start if you want something new. Else any of the other open source apps would love any contribution :)

BitMask
Site Admin

Re: VGA Planets and GPL

Post#6 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:02 pm

streu wrote: The problem with PHost is that the original author(s) do not want to risk conflicts with Tim by publishing the reg key validation algorithm. However, I believe this is no longer a problem as VPA is out there, with Tim's blessing.
We can alway take that bit out of PHost and make a real free version :twisted: :roll: That would certainly help the community grow....

Return to “Intel”