Intercepting UFO objects?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Donovan

Intercepting UFO objects?

Post#1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi all,

is it possible to set an intercept mission targeting a UFO object? I know I can set a waypoint to a UFO's current location, but I want to end up at the future location of a moving UFO (a Fascist Deep Space Missile from the Jupiter addon).

From the looks of things the movement doesn't follow the exact host movement code, it's off by a lightyear here and there. That makes setting a waypoint to the missile's predicted location a bit of a gamble.
Last edited by Donovan on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albatross

Post#2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:10 pm

At least no way I know of to do that in general. Asteroids for example has its own intercept friendly code.
But I can improve your chasing odds by sending more.. might be entertaining after all :).

streu

Re: Interceping UFO objects?

Post#3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Donovan wrote:is it possible to set an intercept mission targeting a UFO object? I know I can set a waypoint to a UFO's current location, but I want to end up at the future location of a moving UFO (a Fascist Deep Space Missile from the Jupiter addon).
No, this is not possible. The host only passes through Ufos, filtering them to figure out which to place in what RST, but it does not otherwise look at them.

--Stefan

Donovan

Post#4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:31 am

albatross wrote:At least no way I know of to do that in general. Asteroids for example has its own intercept friendly code.
But I can improve your chasing odds by sending more.. might be entertaining after all :).
Well I can ofcourse just sweep the missile once it arrives at it's destination planet, but I figured I'd take care of it rightaway so I don't have to think about it anymore.

If you plan on sending more, that's just another incentive to move north and kick your ass some more. I could use the priority points. :eviltoungue:

albatross

Post#5 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Donovan wrote:... If you plan on sending more, that's just another incentive to move north and kick your ass some more. I could use the priority points. :eviltoungue:
Well then.. bon voyage, mes petites amis!

Rimstalker

Post#6 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 am

Well I guess the shooting from THAT planet just found an abrupt end...
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

albatross

Post#7 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:29 am

Yep, I was wondering when that Cybernaut might show up... considering addons Jupiter definitely is the most popular piece of crap I've ever seen.

Rimstalker

Post#8 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 am

it forces utter aggression. I don't see that as a bad thing.

And I would go as far as saying the outcome of this game would not have been much different in a no-frills game, or with donovan and me having different races under Jupiter.

Donovan

Post#9 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:47 am

Rimstalker wrote:Well I guess the shooting from THAT planet just found an abrupt end...
Another perfect example for the ducklings in the Pit, to show that one ally is really all you need....

albatross

Post#10 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:59 am

Rimstalker wrote:it forces utter aggression. I don't see that as a bad thing.

And I would go as far as saying the outcome of this game would not have been much different in a no-frills game, or with donovan and me having different races under Jupiter.
Overconfident speculation.

Edit:
Another example for one of the many not-finished thoughts from the doc file itself:

"Viral field... can easily disable an entire enemy fleet."
This fact is ridiculous by itself, additionally however the field reassigns the fc of all affected vessels to VRF, therefore giving the Robots the enormous ability to capture ships - even more safely than Crystals or Privs. Besides that, the Cybernaut is a pretty unlucky choice, as you can forget cloak intercept with anything else than stacks or a darkwing that is. Solutions are: Affected ship fcs must be randomized and the default range of the viral field should be adjusted according to the map. Furthermore, the Pawn or even Iron Slave would have been a better choice.

Maybe I should weaken my above statement about Jupiter, as most abilities are based on good ideas. Main problem is, most of them have not been thought to the end.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

Unfortunately these old piece of software we call addon's never really evolved after they were created, bugs found, etc... That's just the way things were back in the DOS days of the 90's.
Regards,
][avok

Rimstalker

Post#12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 am

I have to disagree. Jupiter was thoroughly tested for bugs, and they were fixed again and again, some of the most outrageous ability abuses were even nerfed.

Example in question: Yours truly was playing in a teamgame, as Tholians next to the Empire. Empire was brave enough to show the location of his HW very early on, as soon as Tholian had enough ships, he laid a max webfield and moved its center spot on over the Empire HW.

Massive Outcry, and et voila, the Tholian web movement was changed to only allow two ships to do it to the same web in one turn.

Also, Sages would jump to any waypoint you assigned - that was fun. And yes, I am talking 1500 ly jumps here :).

However, I do agree that you have to adjust your playstile to the map. You can never ever allow a cybernaut into your cluster where planethopping is possible, and planets are within viral field range.

Also, in the powershiplist, cybernauts have massively decreased crew size, so you have to think ahead before you throw up a field.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 am

Right, I said bugs... However the program never evolved after that to become more than it is... ie: fleshing out some of the ideas a little better, etc... But my hat's off to Oleg as that's a hell of a lot to do for one person.
Regards,
][avok

albatross

Post#14 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 am

Ok, I agree.. angry words speak seldom truth.. Jupiter is amazing in general. The details however would have needed much more shaping. If one can disable and inevitably capture twelve ships of another by setting a single friendly code, then the concept in this respect is more than flawed. Talk like 'you need to watch that this doesn't happen' is meaningless, the only thing that counts is that it can be done.

Arrh.. I always pull myself into such discussions well knowing that Jupiter won't change anymore.. well then, enjoy the fleet of Vicks, Rim.

Rimstalker

Post#15 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 am

12 vickies? very nice. You showed that there were quite a few by almost sweeping max fields.

Return to “Intel”