Ways around the Jupiter addon abilities for the Cybernaut?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

Post#16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 am

He's moving to Australia....

Donovan

Post#17 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:I should add that some of those guides you host, Donovan, should be updated to note to equip some of the Borg cubes with Heavy Disrupters/Phasers. It's not obvious to newbies (or it wasn't to me until someone pointed it out, at any rate).
I've always made it a rule to not touch any of the guides written by other people. Mostly out of respect for their work, I mean it's not my place to go and comment on or correct their guides. Also, because my opinion isn't truth either.

With guides and information, it's important to read a lot, but most of all keep thinking for yourself. Take Timo's Birdmen guide, for example. I really like i't. It is written in such a way that it made me want to play the Birdmen, and it inspired me to write my own (Fed) guide. It contains some very good tips and advice. However, BANE has stated here that he thinks Timo's guide is a joke for stating The Birmen should not use any ships that don't cloak. And BANE has a very good point. Try to play any race without using freighters, and you're not going anywhere.

As far as beams are concerned, there are plenty of tables and formulas that tell you which beams sweep how many mines. A maximum size minefield is 150 lightyears, and consists of 22500 mines. That will tell you that anything less than heavy disruptors or heavy phasers is prettymuch useless. Against crystals, even worse. Now that's not to say you should put heavy phasers on every ship, because that's just impossible.

My Virgos have either X-rays or Heavy Phasers. I think there's one flying around with Heavy Disruptors, becuase I couldn't get enough cash or moly to the base before the queue passed. Almost all of my early virgos had X-rays, but once the Crystals showed up to protect the Rebels I built some with Heavy Phasers. From that moment it was x-ray Virgos for combat, heavy phaser Virgos for sweeping. For the Borg, with Fireclouds, you can easily move a 'sweeping' fleet to where it is needed, and move it out of harm's way when most of the x-ray cubes have died in combat.

B A N E

Post#18 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:32 pm

It's always worthwhile to consider when the guides might have been
written. My "Fleets" were written in the early 3.2 host series right
after the Birds got skewered.

Lokis decloaked birds.
Resolutes and especially Darkwings burned fuel to cloak.

I should update my fleets there are a few glitches, typos and such.
BUT, I went and had kids and RL takes precedence over a guide.

I appreciate the fact that Donovan didn't edit any of the various
guides written by the players.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Hawkeye

Post#19 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Donovan wrote:With guides and information, it's important to read a lot, but most of all keep thinking for yourself. Take Timo's Birdmen guide, for example. I really like i't. It is written in such a way that it made me want to play the Birdmen, and it inspired me to write my own (Fed) guide. It contains some very good tips and advice. However, BANE has stated here that he thinks Timo's guide is a joke for stating The Birmen should not use any ships that don't cloak. And BANE has a very good point. Try to play any race without using freighters, and you're not going anywhere.
Interestingly enough I'm just in the process of finishing my own guide for the birdmen - and it delves into and corrects some of the misinformation found in the other guides, including the aforementioned one above.

JonnyDoH

Post#20 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Point taken and I stand corrected. Much respect to you all.

Hmm. Maybe I'll work on a Jupiter Guide with all the stuff I've learned. Save some other newbies some of the heartache of learning it all over again.
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

Cardno

Post#21 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Donovan wrote:With guides and information, it's important to read a lot, but most of all keep thinking for yourself. Take Timo's Birdmen guide, for example. I really like i't. It is written in such a way that it made me want to play the Birdmen, and it inspired me to write my own (Fed) guide. It contains some very good tips and advice. However, BANE has stated here that he thinks Timo's guide is a joke for stating The Birmen should not use any ships that don't cloak. And BANE has a very good point. Try to play any race without using freighters, and you're not going anywhere.
Interestingly enough I'm just in the process of finishing my own guide for the birdmen - and it delves into and corrects some of the misinformation found in the other guides, including the aforementioned one above.
Are the recent spate of earthquakes encouraging you to write your Memoirs Hawkeye?

Hawkeye

Post#22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Cardno wrote:Are the recent spate of earthquakes encouraging you to write your Memoirs Hawkeye?
Ha, no. It's something I've had in the back of my mind for a while now - it's just that I've finally gotten around to writing it. I'll update it from time to time as I find more sneaky tactics :D

On the earthquake front however - it's seems crazy but since Monday these things have been a daily occurance, so much so that you actually get used to them. One of them rolled through yesterday while I was in the study, and I just kept on working like nothing had happened, and that's how it is with alot of folks down here. Anything less than a 6 and you tend to ignore it completely.

Return to “Intel”