Minefield data

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Minefield data

Post#1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Hey all

I'm hoping someone out there can help get to the bottom of this. In one game I'm playing, Echoview (ver 1.2.24) is showing up certain minefields, whereas Winplan is not. Some of the minefields in the game are shown by both programs, so it's not a case of a switch being turned off or something silly like that.

What I can tell you is that in the messages (which is where I think Echoview is getting its info from), some messages show a minefield detected at XX, YY of size ZZ. However Winplan doesnt show said minefield, and ships that moved within the imaginary field do not report that they just moved NN light years through a field. It's almost as if the field is being scooped / swept after its detected, but Echoview doesnt know it (however Winplan somehow does).

And before you ask: No there are no ion storms at play, and no it's not old data in Echoview.

Hawk.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 am

I have seen this before as well (Not recently because I do not play with Winplan anymore :shock: ).
You can try and unpack your turn again (If you have not played yet) and it should fix it (sometimes), or else just wait for the next turn.

streu

Re: Minefield data

Post#3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:What I can tell you is that in the messages (which is where I think Echoview is getting its info from), some messages show a minefield detected at XX, YY of size ZZ. However Winplan doesnt show said minefield, and ships that moved within the imaginary field do not report that they just moved NN light years through a field. It's almost as if the field is being scooped / swept after its detected, but Echoview doesnt know it (however Winplan somehow does).
Is there any evidence that the minefield is actually swept (e.g. it is one of yours)?

Winplan displays all your minefields, and all minefields you scanned/swept this turn.

EchoView does the same, but remembers the minefields in its database. Next turn, you may not scan your enemy's minefield, but it's still there, so EV will still display it. For the record, VPA and PCC work the same way. All of them try hard to avoid stale data, but with different quality. PCC displays the time of the last scan in a minefield's details view, maybe EchoView has such a display, too?

--Stefan

Hawkeye

Re: Minefield data

Post#4 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 pm

The minefield (there's two of them) belongs to an enemy race, and there's no evidence that I swept it completely. In fact I highly doubt it's been fully swept to be honest, as I don't have the beams to do it, and no other races are in the area. In Echoview you can set the "old data" to be dashed/dotted lines which is what I've done, and a few older other minefields show up as dashed afterwards, but not the ones in question. Like I mentioned, the best guess I can come up with is that Echoview reads in the messages about this minefield and then displays it based upon what its read, however the message data is now invalid as the field has since been scooped.

A bit more investigation has shown that only one ship detected the minefield, in spite of multiple ships in the area minesweeping, and that ship had a very low ID. The enemy had a torp ship with a slightly higher ID inside the minefield, which I suspect scooped the field up, which is why no other ships with higher IDs detected it. It would seem as though there is a possible bug in Echoview from the looks of things?

If anyone wants to take a look at the RST you're welcome to do so.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:43 am

Sounds like it might have been scooped.

Return to “Intel”