Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: What do you think of the Klingons (Fascists)?

Love them!
50%
Badly Outgunned but I play them.
42%
Avoid like plague......
8%
Total votes: 12

Gilgamesh

Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Post#1 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 pm

No Frills 13 and 15 just lost their Klingon players and both games are maybe a week old! What gives? I know there is a lot of talk about the Klingons being a hard race to play, but to be out by turn 3?????

Gilgamesh (Klingon - No Frills 14)
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Kid Khan

Re: Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Post#2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:03 am

I played the Klingons just once and that with a bad experience (HW was taken out by the Lizard by turn 25). Each time I start a new game I think about trying the Klingons and learn how to play them properly, but then I always decide different. Why? I don't know... may be, yes, I *think* they may be outgunned, but then again, if there's one thing I learned about playing its a great deal of success in the game is about the starting position no matter what race you're playing. So.. I guess its just a matter of time...
But you're right, its striking that most times its the Klingons, who either die first or players leave the games prematurely.

(BTW: Good to see you around here, Gilgamesh! I'm still looking forward to play another game with you!)

hennef

Post#3 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:24 am

i never understand why ppl leave early. when i decide to join a game, i always take into account the time and space i need to play. maybe sometimes ppl join several games and choose the best one after a few rounds while leaving the others?

and it is true that this is more often seen with the "difficult" races and seldom with the "simple" ones.

well, i like the fascists, but i still need to know a lot about them ;)
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#4 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:48 am

I dislike the fact that some players join & drop, but that seems to
have been the nature of this game from the beginning.

Some folks if they don't start in a sweet spot will just throw the
towel in rather than strive to make the best of it.

IMO, go for broke in a bad start, see what can be done.
So what? Table is stacked against you?
What've you got to lose other than perhaps learning something
rather than quitting.
But sadly, if some folks don't believe they can win, they won't play.

Desperation/Necessity is the mother of invention.
Get desperate.

Some of the coolest tactics/tricks were devised only when needed.
Last edited by B A N E on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:55 am

Hi Hannef. Sometimes "real" life can throw something unexpected, so there are legitimate reasons, but seeing 2 Klingons disappear after turns 2 and 4 in two games made me wonder. We need a "School of Klingon Planetary Domination" to get more players interested in and profiient at playing the Klingons. I'll take any good ideas that come along.

Hi Khan! Thanks for telling me about this site - I wouldn't have got here otherwise. I hope we can play with or against each other in a game someday soon.

Hey - you got ahead of me in the Navgap game! :shock: That wasn't supposed to happen!!!! :lol:

Cheers

Gilgamesh
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Kid Khan

Post#6 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:46 pm

I had to go through something like "Real-Life-Interfering-With-VGAPlanets" myself some time back, those were the only games I had to leave before end or being defeated, which was a real pity. Its true, every game makes you learn something new, and *especially* the ones you come under pressure. I guess one just cannot expect every player ever trying the game to become so addicted to it to stick til the very end from game one. We all know the guys with strange behaviors while playing, egomaniacs, alpha-wolves, who can do with nothing but being the best, first, toughest, greatest, meanest in whatever they do. And for those guys this game is either to slow, which they only realize a few turns into the game, or they become the true statistic-maniacs.

Gilgamesh wrote:Hi Khan! Thanks for telling me about this site - I wouldn't have got here otherwise. I hope we can play with or against each other in a game someday soon.
Hey - you got ahead of me in the Navgap game! :shock: That wasn't supposed to happen!!!! :lol:

Yes, as soon as the Navgap game is over (feels like Neil is sort of giving up, or busy with life really) I will join another one here. Something with a custom map, we'll see what's in the bag then. Hope you can make it in then as well!
We'll see, if it'll be over by turn 75, ...I guess so. Overtaking... well, after defending against the Privy for ages I'm just "harvesting" the poor, weak Crystal now, who doesn't understand how to lay webmines. I prepared for that all the game through, so now my time has come... finally! ;) I'm replacement player anyway, so don't worry bout your points!

@][avok
Taking bout points.... just an idea:
Now that Navgap seems to be dying, what about taking over, hosting and maintaining the RCCLadder? I know, its Neil's thingie, but may be just asking and making some sort of agreement can do the trick? Would you like to at all? Would it be technically possible? I especially like the feature of a reliability record, which gives you the opportunity to restrict games to a certain reliabilty level.
Last edited by Kid Khan on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raven2

Post#7 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I love playing the Klingons, but it has to be the right game. If you can get the Klingons in a low minerals, high population game, you're sitting pretty nice, since Klingon ships are dirt cheap to build in $ and minerals, and you've got plenty of clans for G/A. In a high-mineral game, you'll be in a tough spot if you don't find a way to out-produce the big carrier races by at least 3-1, preferably more.
Of course, poppers are your big equalizer against the carriers. Any time you can't build a good warship, you should build a popper.
I've got the Klingons in Alpha Quadrant and Assimilator. Both those games are being played with alternate ship lists. I've been keeping notes, and will post reviews of the Klingon using these shiplists when the games are over.
>>> Raven <<<

Cherek

Post#8 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Kid Khan wrote:@][avok
Now that Navgap seems to be dying, what about taking over, hosting and maintaining the RCCLadder? I know, its Neil's thingie, but may be just asking and making some sort of agreement can do the trick? Would you like to at all? Would it be technically possible?

The Ladder is still in use? How many hosts still use it? According to the web site, the last host that updated it was in 09/2005.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

darkdimensions

Post#9 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:04 pm

My first game at Circus-Maximus was with the Klingons. I lasted until turn 100 somehting. They are not a dominating race, but with the right allies and strategy, can defeat even the toughtest of oppenents. You will not win 1 on 1 with them very often, if ever. So you can LOVE them or LEAVE them, but if you play them, find a good allie, buid buid buid, and for gods sake POP the hell out of people.

Kid Khan

Post#10 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Kid Khan wrote:@][avok
Now that Navgap seems to be dying, what about taking over, hosting and maintaining the RCCLadder? I know, its Neil's thingie, but may be just asking and making some sort of agreement can do the trick? Would you like to at all? Would it be technically possible?

The Ladder is still in use? How many hosts still use it? According to the web site, the last host that updated it was in 09/2005.

I'm not sure, if you could really call it "in use", still all the games hosted on Navgap throughout the last years have been Ladder games, even if that's not reflected by the ladder itself, simply cause its not updated. I guess that's also due to Neil's fading commitment. The only other site I know of, which is still naming games as "ladder ranked" is robomaster.

Gilgamesh

Post#11 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:36 pm

In the end I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the mechanics of the ladder. I'm playing No Frills 14 with the idea of trying a few things out, as it's never the same in a real game as it is in a sim game against a C-player. I will either do better than I have ever done or get my butt whooped by turn 40. I wouldn't try that in a ladder ranked game because I wouldn't want to see my skill points go down, which they can if you get beaten badly enough.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#12 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Kid Khan wrote:I'm not sure, if you could really call it "in use", still all the games hosted on Navgap throughout the last years have been Ladder games, even if that's not reflected by the ladder itself, simply cause its not updated. I guess that's also due to Neil's fading commitment. The only other site I know of, which is still naming games as "ladder ranked" is robomaster.

The impression I got at Battlestar Command Bridge when someone asked Ed about joining the Ladder, for a host, it required a lot of time and manual data input daily (and I'm assuming it would be just as bad for who ever was running the Ladder too) to keep the Ladder up to date. If that is true, then the more games the host has running, the more time he will be spending on updating the Ladder.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:07 pm

Kid Khan wrote:Yes, as soon as the Navgap game is over (feels like Neil is sort of giving up, or busy with life really) I will join another one here. Something with a custom map, we'll see what's in the bag then. Hope you can make it in then as well!
We'll see, if it'll be over by turn 75, ...I guess so. Overtaking... well, after defending against the Privy for ages I'm just "harvesting" the poor, weak Crystal now, who doesn't understand how to lay webmines. I prepared for that all the game through, so now my time has come... finally! ;) I'm replacement player anyway, so don't worry bout your points!

It wasn't the points so much - I just wanted to get into the top 3 with the Klingons playing solitaire all game. Nearly made it too..... :( But then it ain't over yet! :twisted: I won't be breaking any agreements to accomplish that though. I'm hoping it ends at 75.

I probably won't pick up another game till the fall as summers can be kinda busy around here. Then again, I wasn't going to pick up any games over the summer at all...... :roll:
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Kid Khan

Post#14 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:The impression I got at Battlestar Command Bridge when someone asked Ed about joining the Ladder, for a host, it required a lot of time and manual data input daily (and I'm assuming it would be just as bad for who ever was running the Ladder too) to keep the Ladder up to date. If that is true, then the more games the host has running, the more time he will be spending on updating the Ladder.

...if its done manually, yes. But those times should be over. I don't know, but I assume the Ladder is also around far longer than I've been playing, I guess since 1863 or the likes. I'm sure it was designed with manual input at that time and I'm also pretty much sure noone ever tried to add some kind of automation to it. But that should not be too difficult really. Every host records some kind of data during the game and all you have to do is to add those statistics to the Ladder database when the game ends, which means reading some sort of (text-)file and storing it to whatever format the Ladder is held in (turns played, turns missed, result). A program like that is done in an evening, provided you know the source and target file-formats.

Gilgamesh wrote:It wasn't the points so much - I just wanted to get into the top 3 with the Klingons playing solitaire all game. Nearly made it too..... :( But then it ain't over yet! :twisted: I won't be breaking any agreements to accomplish that though. I'm hoping it ends at 75.
I probably won't pick up another game till the fall as summers can be kinda busy around here. Then again, I wasn't going to pick up any games over the summer at all...... :roll:

You seem to have had a nice fight with Pypes over there and he looks like someone, who knows, what he has been doing. May be we should ask him to join here as well?
Well, if we vote to play on, we're close to fall by then! ;)

Gilgamesh

Post#15 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:08 pm

Pypes is a good tactition and very adaptive - stuff that was messing him up early on doesn't cut it now, forcing me to adapt too. It's been a good fight. I think Pypes would have a lot of fun here.

Maybe the three of us should spend the rest of the game going after the Crystals and Pirates?

I still feel better about the ranking system than the ladder.

Cheers

Gilgamesh
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Intel”