Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: What do you think of the Klingons (Fascists)?

Love them!
6
50%
Badly Outgunned but I play them.
5
42%
Avoid like plague......
1
8%
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#106 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:OK here’s one of those alternate thinking things for you, Enemy…..

The US Marines are faced with a counter attack in overwhelming numbers and weaponry. Tough highly trained hand-to-hand fighters with a limited number of claymore mines (poppers – are claymores still in use?), light armour support and small arms vs advancing heavy armour.

I know it’s never this simple – terrain, supplies, reinforcements etc, but the analogy holds. You are the Marine commander – how would you prepare?

Jim
Simple,
Create a no man's land for them to have to cross, use claymores(yes they are still in use) for crippling the heavy Armour. Snipers in key spots to kill support personal fixing crippled Heavy's. Send in scout teams to disrupt incoming reinforcements, NEVER put to many rifle men in fixed position, keys are hit and run. If you are lucky and have a few tow gunners so much the better. Get ahold of the radio man, and call in AIR SUPPORT, Marine Super Cobra's, or Air Force A-10's. The rest boils down to rather its a hold at all cost post, or make them pay dearly post. We could factor in other things, but that would require, what kind of unit, with exactly what kind of equipment I had to start off with. Even with all that, you can only cause so much damage and death. All the back to the battle of Thermopylae, small forces have had to battle great battles, to only be overwhelmed at the end.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#107 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:I also don't like to use a popper to early in the game as well, no reason to telegraph
What do you mean by "telegraph", I did I miss something in the docs about Glory Devices?
Telegraph, as in, everybody gets an explosion report, and in some cases if they are close enough they get a report that it was a D19. BAM, they know where the Klingon is at.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#108 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:38 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:I also don't like to use a popper to early in the game as well, no reason to telegraph
What do you mean by "telegraph", I did I miss something in the docs about Glory Devices?
Telegraph, as in, everybody gets an explosion report, and in some cases if they are close enough they get a report that it was a D19. BAM, they know where the Klingon is at.
Oh thanks. I better go back and reread about the Glory Devices.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Post#109 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:OK here’s one of those alternate thinking things for you, Enemy…..

The US Marines are faced with a counter attack in overwhelming numbers and weaponry. Tough highly trained hand-to-hand fighters with a limited number of claymore mines (poppers – are claymores still in use?), light armour support and small arms vs advancing heavy armour.

I know it’s never this simple – terrain, supplies, reinforcements etc, but the analogy holds. You are the Marine commander – how would you prepare?

Jim
Simple,
Create a no man's land for them to have to cross, use claymores(yes they are still in use) for crippling the heavy Armour. Snipers in key spots to kill support personal fixing crippled Heavy's. Send in scout teams to disrupt incoming reinforcements, NEVER put to many rifle men in fixed position, keys are hit and run. If you are lucky and have a few tow gunners so much the better. Get ahold of the radio man, and call in AIR SUPPORT, Marine Super Cobra's, or Air Force A-10's. The rest boils down to rather its a hold at all cost post, or make them pay dearly post. We could factor in other things, but that would require, what kind of unit, with exactly what kind of equipment I had to start off with. Even with all that, you can only cause so much damage and death. All the back to the battle of Thermopylae, small forces have had to battle great battles, to only be overwhelmed at the end.
Very interesting!

So - how to translate to Klingons with, say, the Borg throwing a mess of cubes at you in 2-3 battle groups?

My interpretation of what you are saying:

- no man's land - slash and burn - retreat pulling as much fuel off as possible and riot the planets

- tow guns - transwarp poppers to intercept and damage the cubes, destroy the support ships - being the Borg this can't happen too far away from your Vickies othewise he will have too much time to repair himself

- scout teams and snipers - cloakers - D7's and Specs harrassing and getting in behind the advance and re-taking planets, killing support ships that come up behind the main advance

- claymores -cloakers laying minefields that suddenly appear in their path

- air support - hmmmm - either the Vickies or an ally with carriers?

Termopylae - interesting you should mention that as I was watching "The 300 Spartans" a couple of nights ago - ever see it? I'm thinking more Rourke's Drift - badly outnumbered in a set position - The Zulus even had rifles taken from the English dead after the slaughter at Isandlwana, but the Welsh Guards made better use of what they had and held out. As inspiring as the Spartans are, I'd rather go on a winning scenario. :twisted:

Thanks for this - very interesting to think of it in these terms with a trained soldier to bounce it off of. I think there are some useful parallels.

Cheers

Jim

edited to fix a few mistakes and to make more readable
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#110 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Marines have to motto's
1st and For most, Simper Fi
2nd, Adapt and Overcome
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#111 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:07 pm

4 deths???

what an insane amount!

do you play with 30 ships only?

how will you ever succeed with such a low ship count. you need to have close to 100 at least...


4 deth, i still do not get it. that does not do anything.

and they do not need several d7 for support either. they get their planets fast enough. have you ever taken a planet with them at all? they really kill.

that´s enough from me for now.... you have all written crazy stuff!

cu around
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#112 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:39 pm

I am not the only one that thinks the Deth is not overly useful, it has its purposes, but it can't build torps in the field on its own, FUEL TANK is horrible. It packs a wallop, but limited, Just my 2 cents.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#113 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:41 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:I am not the only one that thinks the Deth is not overly useful, it has its purposes, but it can't build torps in the field on its own, FUEL TANK is horrible. It packs a wallop, but limited, Just my 2 cents.
Two cents, you must have gotten lucky at the casino if you are putting that much in.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#114 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 pm

Reno,
Treated me ok Last week. Plus I am not Static, :twisted: :P
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Post#115 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:41 am

Enemy#1 wrote:I am not the only one that thinks the Deth is not overly useful, it has its purposes, but it can't build torps in the field on its own, FUEL TANK is horrible. It packs a wallop, but limited, Just my 2 cents.
That would be my 2 cents too. In fact Enemy builds more of them than I do.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#116 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:01 pm

they are better poppers against bigger ships. even, if you tow them in ;)

the real poppers are better against loads of small ships - of course :P
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Post#117 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:14 am

hennef wrote:they are better poppers against bigger ships. even, if you tow them in ;)

the real poppers are better against loads of small ships - of course :P
Huh? Sorry but I don't understand your point here. All poppers are equal in terms of damage done to the enemy. Or are you saying a Deth does more damage to a big ship than a popper? It doesn't. A top-tech Deth only takes the shields of a Gorbie down to around 70-80 %.

Can you explain what you were saying here, please? I'm lost.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#118 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:14 am

Best case scenario for a Deth vs Gorbie is ~4% hull damage to the
Gorbie.

BUT, to get that,
Deth must be on right side and get the extra mass bonus.
AND
Pretty much hit with every torp.

The rest of the time, the Deth gets mauled by a big CV.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Post#119 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:28 am

B A N E wrote:Best case scenario for a Deth vs Gorbie is ~4% hull damage to the
Gorbie.

BUT, to get that,
Deth must be on right side and get the extra mass bonus.
AND
Pretty much hit with every torp.

The rest of the time, the Deth gets mauled by a big CV.
My sim came from the left. Still - damaging a Gorbie with all those torps and a lost Deth is nowhere near as efficient as popping him.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Intel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron