Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: What do you think of the Klingons (Fascists)?

Love them!
50%
Badly Outgunned but I play them.
42%
Avoid like plague......
8%
Total votes: 12

Gilgamesh

Post#46 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:56 am

I'm fighting Liz in a game right now so I'm getting to understand them. The Priv I need to know better and I don't think I could do that in just one game. Tough to tear myself away from my favourite race though.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#47 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:02 am

It isn't that hard, you just have to remember to go back to being the Klingons.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#48 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:22 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I'm fighting Liz in a game right now so I'm getting to understand them. The Priv I need to know better and I don't think I could do that in just one game. Tough to tear myself away from my favourite race though.
You have to be careful, about who you play. I started Playing the Tholian's to learn my Enemy Better.( I ended up Surpassing them) now I have 3 Races I really enjoy. Tholian, Klingon's, and Cylon's. Playing my 1st game as the Gorn,(I could learn to like them TOOOOOO :twisted: ) Where I do enjoy the Klingon's, I only play them now in a burn and churn game, as its to frustrating down the road.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#49 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:27 am

"Burn and churn game" - heh! I like that!

I don't see it being a problem really. Borg and Feds were OK - Liz and Pirates will probably be OK - but nothing comes close to Klingons for me - as you can probably tell from my posts. The odds of winning with them seem to be against me, but I'd rather lose as the Klingon than ever play the Empire of Crystals again!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Klauser

Post#50 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:32 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I'm fighting Liz in a game right now so I'm getting to understand them. The Priv I need to know better and I don't think I could do that in just one game. Tough to tear myself away from my favourite race though.
The best lesson I ever got in Orion capabilities was in a game many years ago. Unbeknownst to me, the Orion player had system problems in the midpoint of the game and missed a couple of turns at the same time I was assaulting his home cluster. I took his homeworld, and he dedicated the rest of the game to locking me down. (unfortunately, HCONFIG was set so cloaked ships could be robbed).

To make a long story short, he locked me down solid - I couldn't move because he had so many cloaked ships robbing me and sweeping my minefields (yes this was before Glory Devices). I made it a point to play the Orion in my next game to get a handle on how my opponent had done his dirty on me - and try and learn how to counter it.

BTW, this player still haunts VGAP. If you EVER run across an Orion player calling himself the Dread Pirate Jackson ... be afraid - be very afraid!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Gilgamesh

Post#51 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:58 am

I would seriously think twice about playing in a game where cloaked ships can be robbed. I don't think I've ever seen that turned on. Was this a custom game set up by a Privateer?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Klauser

Post#52 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I would seriously think twice about playing in a game where cloaked ships can be robbed. I don't think I've ever seen that turned on. Was this a custom game set up by a Privateer?
As much as you'd think so ... no it wasn't. For some reason the Host (can't remember where or at what site that was) got a wild hair and set it that way. Because of my "traumatic" trouncing in that game, I won't play in a game where cloaked ships can be robbed.

For some reason, Dread Pirate Jackson always laughs when I say that ;)
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#53 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I would seriously think twice about playing in a game where cloaked ships can be robbed. I don't think I've ever seen that turned on. Was this a custom game set up by a Privateer?
I ran it on a game when I launched the site. Had a birdman player get really ticked off and quit around turn 50+ when he discovered it in the CFG list. But hey, you should know that kind of stuff before turn 50 something.

My question, and it's the same question I had then is "why not". Realistically speaking, if you happen to stumble upon something, whether it's invisible or not, if you find it, why shouldn't you be able to rob it.

Same goes for cloaked ships not hitting mines. I completely disagree with that concept. Just because the ship is cloaked doesn't mean the ship doesn't travel through the mine field at the same velocity as a uncloaked ship. The mine doesn't care. It's either in the way or not in the way of the hull of the ship. In that regard cloaking makes the not just the hull transparent but wraith like and I disagree with that concept.

Off my soapbox.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#54 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:09 pm

Now if we could just get a setting that says "fighters cannot attack Klingon ships".
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#55 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:18 pm

Yes, I agree that the Robots are a nice race to play if the Tholians are not available. As far as your statement “Tholian's to learn my Enemy Better.( I ended up Surpassing them) “ that is yet to be proven.

I will have to say one thing, with all the discussions about the Klingon, it has peaked my interest in them. I think after several of my games have ended, I might try them out in a non-PHost/FHost game.

Two games that will be ending soon for me with me being eliminated (I should have never played the Feds or Borg). Maybe after that I’ll try them.

BTW, the Gorn have had a hand in in defeating in both of those games.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#56 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:23 pm

Havok wrote: Realistically speaking, if you happen to stumble upon something, whether it's invisible or not, if you find it, why shouldn't you be able to rob it.

Same goes for cloaked ships not hitting mines. I completely disagree with that concept. Just because the ship is cloaked doesn't mean the ship doesn't travel through the mine field at the same velocity as a uncloaked ship. The mine doesn't care. It's either in the way or not in the way of the hull of the ship. In that regard cloaking makes the not just the hull transparent but wraith like and I disagree with that concept.

Off my soapbox.
Well - realistically speaking - if a ship was cloaked, you wouldn't find it to rob, so that holds up.

Cloakers zipping through minefields - I have to agree on a "realism" standpoint. But from a realism standpoint:

- The cluster would be 3 dimensional
- ships would engage in multi-ship battles and 3-4 small ships would divide the firepower of a carrier - (TKF)
- no ship would absorb 150% damage
- no ship would be immune to planetary defence
- 10 Imperial clans would not be enough to take out 3 million colonists
- 2 Klingon ships pillaging would double the death and destruction - 5 would wipe it out in one turn
- ships running out of fuel while en route to a planet would continue to that planet through the laws of physics - which we all know you "canna" change
- 8 million amorphs would eat more clans than 2 million amorphs

There's plenty more......
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#57 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Gilgamesh wrote: - 2 Klingon ships pillaging would double the death and destruction - 5 would wipe it out in one turn

This holds true in PHost and it is bad to be on the recieving end of multiple Klingon ships pillaging.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Klauser

Post#58 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Havok wrote:My question, and it's the same question I had then is "why not". Realistically speaking, if you happen to stumble upon something, whether it's invisible or not, if you find it, why shouldn't you be able to rob it.

Off my soapbox.
Wait!! Don't put the soapbox up just yet!

I disagree with your point about robbing cloaked ships. Realistically (yeah, I know ... a perilous approach in this game) how can you justify robbing a ship or ships you can't see? Sitting cloaked in orbit over an enemy planet, if you can SEE the target ship (non cloaking or failed cloak) and rob, okay, fine I can accept that. But if you suspect a cloaked ship might be in orbit, why should you be allowed to steal from a non-specific target.

Your point about mines is somewhat more problematic. If you construe a cloaking device as something that makes a ship invisible, then fine, I agree with you. However, if a cloaking device also provides you with a range of EM "cloaking", to include whatever sensors mines are using - then it makes sense that cloaked ships would have better success at navigating minefields.
Klauser

Shardin5

Post#59 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote: - 2 Klingon ships pillaging would double the death and destruction - 5 would wipe it out in one turn

This holds true in PHost and it is bad to be on the recieving end of multiple Klingon ships pillaging.
In Phost that only works with a NICE host who turn on it on.
5 ships still wont do the job as each one does 20 percent of what Left, not a total. I was NOT happy the only time I got a chance to use it. But its still a nasty thing to do.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#60 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:In Phost that only works with a NICE host who turn on it on.
5 ships still wont do the job as each one does 20 percent of what Left, not a total. I was NOT happy the only time I got a chance to use it. But its still a nasty thing to do.
Five ships doing 20% of whats on the planet is better that having 5 ships on a planet and doing only 20% once per turn.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”