Where are all the REAL Klingons???

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: What do you think of the Klingons (Fascists)?

Love them!
50%
Badly Outgunned but I play them.
42%
Avoid like plague......
8%
Total votes: 12

Shardin5

Post#61 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:09 pm

20% each, so 5 of them would knock out 100 percent, and you could take over the planet in a single turn. With Cumulative Pillaging in Phost, the 1st one does 20 percent of 5mill, the next one does 20 percent of whats left, the 3rd does 20 percent of that, and so on. So in a single turn you Can't take out a Planet, even with 5 ships. Unlike the birds that with 5 ships can change a FC, of a Planet.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#62 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 pm

If it's recalculated after each pillage then it would take more, although pillage actually knocks out 20% PLUS a further 20 clans (in Thost at least) so you could potentially take the planet out in one turn.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#63 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:20% each, so 5 of them would knock out 100 percent, and you could take over the planet in a single turn. With Cumulative Pillaging in Phost, the 1st one does 20 percent of 5mill, the next one does 20 percent of whats left, the 3rd does 20 percent of that, and so on. So in a single turn you Can't take out a Planet, even with 5 ships. Unlike the birds that with 5 ships can change a FC, of a Planet.
THat is what I was referring to, not that 5 ships would do 100% and take over a planet.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

hennef

Post#64 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:23 am

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:My question, and it's the same question I had then is "why not". Realistically speaking, if you happen to stumble upon something, whether it's invisible or not, if you find it, why shouldn't you be able to rob it.

Same goes for cloaked ships not hitting mines. I completely disagree with that concept. Just because the ship is cloaked doesn't mean the ship doesn't travel through the mine field at the same velocity as a uncloaked ship. The mine doesn't care. It's either in the way or not in the way of the hull of the ship. In that regard cloaking makes the not just the hull transparent but wraith like and I disagree with that concept.

Off my soapbox.
Wait!! Don't put the soapbox up just yet!

I disagree with your point about robbing cloaked ships. Realistically (yeah, I know ... a perilous approach in this game) how can you justify robbing a ship or ships you can't see? Sitting cloaked in orbit over an enemy planet, if you can SEE the target ship (non cloaking or failed cloak) and rob, okay, fine I can accept that. But if you suspect a cloaked ship might be in orbit, why should you be allowed to steal from a non-specific target.

Your point about mines is somewhat more problematic. If you construe a cloaking device as something that makes a ship invisible, then fine, I agree with you. However, if a cloaking device also provides you with a range of EM "cloaking", to include whatever sensors mines are using - then it makes sense that cloaked ships would have better success at navigating minefields.
yepo. depends on how those mines should work. plain minefield with physical trigger would ignore any cloaking. but they should be much more suffisticated. some sensors and stuff. so that way the cloaking gets the bonus..... with the robbing: totally agree with you. rob cloaked is stupid!
have fun!

hennef

Klauser

Post#65 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:41 pm

hennef wrote: yepo. depends on how those mines should work. plain minefield with physical trigger would ignore any cloaking. but they should be much more suffisticated. some sensors and stuff. so that way the cloaking gets the bonus..... with the robbing: totally agree with you. rob cloaked is stupid!
Out of morbid curiousity, do any other old timers out there remember how minefields or rob ships worked with cloaked ships under VGAP 2 ?? Or failing that, the early versions of 3??

Thanx ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

B A N E

Post#66 » Fri May 12, 2006 5:18 pm

Klauser wrote:
hennef wrote: yepo. depends on how those mines should work. plain minefield with physical trigger would ignore any cloaking. but they should be much more suffisticated. some sensors and stuff. so that way the cloaking gets the bonus..... with the robbing: totally agree with you. rob cloaked is stupid!
Out of morbid curiousity, do any other old timers out there remember how minefields or rob ships worked with cloaked ships under VGAP 2 ?? Or failing that, the early versions of 3??

Thanx ...
You rang?

Rob Ships is a v3 feature.
It did not exist in v2...afaik.
See my "war story" I posted a few days ago.

Early v3, rob cloak, I think it was an hconfig switch.
I'd have to go find my original dosplan discs and find a 3.5 drive
to see for certain. I wonder if I've got a few old hosts saved in
an archive somewhere.

Same with minefields, I think that's a switch.
If I get the chance tonite, I'll dig up what I've got and confirm
one way or the other.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#67 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:16 am

Okay you Klingons, where can I find some reading material about Klingon strategies and tactics?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#68 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:51 am

If you find one, let me know. Other than the few on Donovan's, make it up as you go. I like a few Illwind's early, 1 Illwind can take out 3 Patriots in a row. They are useful for resupplying Vickies later. D7 is my cloaker of preference, but thats just me. I like to have 4 Deth's by ship limit, the As many Vickies as possible(kind of goes without saying) but you have to have POPPERS. Were a Illwind can take out mulitple small carriers, you can lose 3-4 Vickies to the big carriers.(very upsetting) Use a scorched earth tatic on your front lines as the enemy approaches, let his big ships through and then charge into the tender underbelly behind front lines as he charges you. Pillage move, dump, and then pillage somewhere else, as they are trying to push in on you. If you have the time to riot frontline planets, get ships over good planets to pick up clans and Pillage keeping 20 on the planet at a time, while pillaging. Also early in the game PRAY for Worm Planets. You don't always have to pop them, 20 clans pillage and send the money back via a different ship, when you can't get a popper there
President Ronald Reagan

hennef

Post#69 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:If you find one, let me know. Other than the few on Donovan's, make it up as you go. I like a few Illwind's early, 1 Illwind can take out 3 Patriots in a row. They are useful for resupplying Vickies later. D7 is my cloaker of preference, but thats just me. I like to have 4 Deth's by ship limit, the As many Vickies as possible(kind of goes without saying) but you have to have POPPERS. Were a Illwind can take out mulitple small carriers, you can lose 3-4 Vickies to the big carriers.(very upsetting) Use a scorched earth tatic on your front lines as the enemy approaches, let his big ships through and then charge into the tender underbelly behind front lines as he charges you. Pillage move, dump, and then pillage somewhere else, as they are trying to push in on you. If you have the time to riot frontline planets, get ships over good planets to pick up clans and Pillage keeping 20 on the planet at a time, while pillaging. Also early in the game PRAY for Worm Planets. You don't always have to pop them, 20 clans pillage and send the money back via a different ship, when you can't get a popper there
first things first: WHY 20 CLANS? 1 is enough!

try to get your hands on any jumper you can get. falcon prefered as usual, cyborg probe is a bit frustrating, because it has no chance to bring the money back from your enemies core-planets ;)

if you evar have a base that can not build a real ship - try for a pop. they cost you some moly though. keep an eye on it. remember to set the right enemy when set to "trg". or use the fuel-version and set to kill, but remember that they are easy prey to ion-storms and torpers that do not cloak. build some with q7-drives as well.

build more deths!

build more vickis!

build more deths!

build some support too, but...

build more deths!

build more vickis!

and have fun 8)
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post#70 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:15 pm

I have noticed that with just 1 clan I don't always get the full 20 percent killing of the Natives. With 20 you get the full 20 percent. As for the Deth's they are like all ships, build more of them, just like all ships. Don't over look the little pest either, its a very cheap and effecient fighter Sweeper. DO NOT go to cheap on Popper engines like Hennef was pointing out as well. Klingon's do not have a Combo, so watch your ships. Really screw up your frontline planets, so you can stall them out, CofM is you worse Nightmare, as CCR's ruin alot of things, and a Virgo will just churn through your Vickies. But screw up your frontline, wait with D7's and a couple Deth's and then charge from where they came from, and wreck Havok. :twisted:
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#71 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm currently reading Juniper's Guide to the Klingons. It is more detailed than the at Donovan's.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#72 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:22 pm

Deth Spec is a controversial ship. Some love them, some hate them. I will use them if I have a specific job in mind – going in cloaked and taking out a Loki so I can pillage as an example, maybe, but that could take 2 Deths depending on the Loki, and you have to support them with D7’s as the fuel tank is crap. In general, I hardly ever build them unless there’s a good reason.

Other than Donovan there isn’t much out there. There was a Klingon Guide thread going on the RCWorld site with a lot of good ideas, but I haven’t been on there in a while.

As I said on RCworld, we Klingons need a Guild of Klingon Commanders to share ideas and tactics. Klauser – I nominate you as Chancellor!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#73 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:23 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:I'm currently reading Juniper's Guide to the Klingons. It is more detailed than the at Donovan's.
Same guide more information? Where - do you have a link?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#74 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:30 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:I'm currently reading Juniper's Guide to the Klingons. It is more detailed than the at Donovan's.
Same guide more information? Where - do you have a link?
http://home.rochester.rr.com/gmorrow/klingon.htm
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#75 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:43 pm

This guide even has a quote from Sprain, I mean, Lame, hmmm Same, Oh I remember now, BANE:

The Fascists when played correctly are an extremely brutal and efficient race. They can deal with ANY threat in the game. Thru correct ship to ship tactics and prodigious use of both the pillage, cloaks and glories, the fascists can be a real terror. Toss in a few pop ships into a combat and see what you can do with Vickies when every defender is damaged!

That fascist fleet "appears" to be undergunned...but it is far from that when you toss in the glories.

Application is the trick!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”