Centauri Legacy Obelisk addendum

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BC_Guy

Centauri Legacy Obelisk addendum

Post#1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:30 am

Note to self.. and any who would count on the obelisks acting rationally.. :shock:
The Attracting Obelisk (pull in ships from 150LY ) seems not to update the initiator's xyplan file. After a brilliant maneouver to pull in all Crystal ships to a waiting flock of cloaked Meteors, I found that the Crystal ships did not get pulled in after all... rats I thought..
unfortunately 'rats' is an understatement, since the x-tals ships DID get pulled in .. I just didnt get the update in my daily intel
"luckily" :evil: I only lost 3 ships in the fubar. the crystals get to save his fleet for now.. next time I come with Gorbies ;-)

akshamu

Re: Centauri Legacy Obelisk addendum

Post#2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 pm

BC_Guy wrote:Note to self.. and any who would count on the obelisks acting rationally.. :shock:
The Attracting Obelisk (pull in ships from 150LY ) seems not to update the initiator's xyplan file. After a brilliant maneouver to pull in all Crystal ships to a waiting flock of cloaked Meteors, I found that the Crystal ships did not get pulled in after all... rats I thought..
unfortunately 'rats' is an understatement, since the x-tals ships DID get pulled in .. I just didnt get the update in my daily intel
"luckily" :evil: I only lost 3 ships in the fubar. the crystals get to save his fleet for now.. next time I come with Gorbies ;-)
Nice maneuver, wish I had thought of it first. Guess I will just have to claim credit for your brilliance. :wink:
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

BC_Guy

Post#3 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it.. but u would think that the other victims may have posted this little bug.. or *maybe* those Centauris were jokesters and incorporated this little flaw in to the design of the obelisk !!
oh bravo .. =D> =D>

akshamu

Post#4 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 pm

BC_Guy wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it.. but u would think that the other victims may have posted this little bug.. or *maybe* those Centauris were jokesters and incorporated this little flaw in to the design of the obelisk !!
oh bravo .. =D> =D>
Sounds like someone is having delusional conspiracy visions. Is everyone out to get you??????

Well, as they say sometimes the visions do come true :twisted:
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

BC_Guy

Post#5 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm

delusional or not.. unfortunately this small bug has tilted the game in favour of the crystals in a big way.. he will soon have about 6 or 7 TW MBRs.. hope you aren't a neighbour of his :evil:

Rimstalker

Post#6 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm

I think you are somewhat confused. Centauri Legacy does not do anything to xyplan.dat (aka 'the starchart').

It does something to xy-coordinates of ships, but those should be the same 'globally'. Care to share the rst? What client are you using?
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

BC_Guy

Post#7 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:06 pm

maybe I mean the RST. I assumed that the host creates both after running the turn and that it is the xyplan.dat that contains the ships' positions in the universe etc...
What happened is this:
turn 28 - MBR intercepts the sucking obelisk (presumably to suck ALL ships within 150 LY). Of course this ship is cloaked and there are
turn 29 - my map shows 7 MBRs and various other ships (all mine) -- brought in for robbing purposes -- all properly sucked in.. no other ships.. but I can see other Crystal ships within 150 LY that SHOULD have been sucked in.. hmmmph I think; guess this doesnt apply to other races, only the initating race.. I mark it down on my docs for this obelisk.. there is an MBR with fuel and damaged (not cloaked) and a probe..
turn 30.. much to my surprise, the damaged MBR and the probe are towed and captured, a big ass webfield is laid (centered on the ex-obelisk spot) and there is about 15 crystal ships scattering like cockroaches..
Crystal command is probably thinking I missed a turn or something :-(
So what I believe happened is something like this:
Host runs - processes the fact that I triggered the obelisk and sucked in my 10 or so ships.. creates the turn and sends it off to me.. then the Crystal ships get sucked in, the host creates that turn and sends it to the Crystal player... so My turn shows my ships only there.. the Crystal's turn shows his ships (along with any of my uncloaked ships).

Can't really provide the RST, since this would provide a whole bunch of info to too nmany current players ;-) and it would only be valuable relative to the Crystals RST (ie: what did he get compared to mine..). It would be very interesting to see his turn 29 RST/xyplan, cuz I dont see how else he could have done what he did.. without his ships having been sucked in...

The client is 3.52.005 -- not really sure why that would make a difference though, since it should just extract whatever info the host provides it...and generate the visual star map..

In any case, if anyone can provide a better explanation, I'd be interested to hear it.. but for now, whats done is done.. just wanted to let the galaxy know that the crystals have a bunch of MBRs basically dropped in his lap ;-)

-shipless Pirate

Rimstalker

Post#8 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

totally not how it works, with sending out rsts.

Your Winplan version is VERY outdated. I suggest you update, and check that rst again.

and of course, you would send that rst to me privately, I'm just curious, and would look at it with various clients.

BC_Guy

Post#9 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm

how I would totally expect the host to work is: that host runs and generates a static 'after processing' data file- which provides (amongst other things) the CURRENT ship positions (ie: if a ship has moved from A->B, it provides Shipxxx_Pos(B) This data is static -- there should be NO client-side processing required or ambivalence to determine such things as object placement, battle outcomes etc.

Having said that I did download WinPlan 3.6 and run it.. and lo and behold you are correct -- winplan 5 processes the data differently from winplan 6.. Winplan 6 has the ships at position B (correctly), Winplan 5 has them at position A, which means for some bizarre reason the host provides conflicting and confusing data to different versions of clients.. which is a backwards compatibility no-no.

so in my mind, still a bug.. but lesson learned.. winplan 5 is sooo last century...

thanks for the heads up

Rimstalker

Post#10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:03 am

current version from Tim's site is something like .026 http://www.vgaplanets.com/fixes.htm

Return to “Daily Destruction 14”