Game Preferences ?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:15 am
Location: San Angelo, TX

Game Preferences ?

Post by Klauser » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 am

I just recently joined CM and have been poking around a bit. I've been trying to get a feel for what kind of VGAP games are played here on CM. Most of the recent games seem to be fairly basic VGAP fare with one or two addons.

So, enlighten the newbie ... what's your game preference here??
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Re: Game Preferences ?

Post by Sysop » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:48 am

Klauser wrote:I just recently joined CM and have been poking around a bit. I've been trying to get a feel for what kind of VGAP games are played here on CM. Most of the recent games seem to be fairly basic VGAP fare with one or two addons.

So, enlighten the newbie ... what's your game preference here??
From the webmasters opinion it seems to be about a half and half situation. My basic plain games titled "No Frills" seem quite popular. The rest of the games like you mention have a variety of mod's and different ship list's. Most of those types of games also have custom starmaps as well.

If I had to pick a favorite mod though, I would have to say FHost. It brings so much to the table. IMOP it fills a void. In any kind of capital ship combat you would really have torpedo and fighter strikes..etc.. not the continous one on one stuff that we traditionally see in the game. I guess you could say it adds lot of realism to the game with its carrier combat and torpedo missions.

As for the future, I've been considering a multi-ship mod such as The Killing Floor or Tactical VCR 2 and seeing if we could get some fleet combat happening. That again could bring the realism factor up a notch.
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: Brownsboro, AL USA
Contact:

Post by Cherek » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 pm

You know what I would like to see, a Phost game. Start out easy with 500 ships. Then working up to 999 ships in a game. From there, a game with multi-races playing. But all of that is in the future.

Drawback to a 999 ship game is that it takes forever to finish. But you do get a lot of battles and quite a few big battles.

Just my idea for a couple of games in the future. :wink:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Post by Sysop » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:22 pm

Cherek wrote:You know what I would like to see, a Phost game. Start out easy with 500 ships. Then working up to 999 ships in a game. From there, a game with multi-races playing. But all of that is in the future.

Drawback to a 999 ship game is that it takes forever to finish. But you do get a lot of battles and quite a few big battles.

Just my idea for a couple of games in the future. :wink:
Funny that you said that. I just answered another question a couple hours ago about PHOST. I'm actually looking at it right now. :mrgreen:
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: Brownsboro, AL USA
Contact:

Post by Cherek » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:30 pm

Sysop wrote:Funny that you said that. I just answered another question a couple hours ago about PHOST. I'm actually looking at it right now. :mrgreen:
The bad news, right now, my game card is full with 2 games going, 2 games started this week and trying to get No Frills III filled up so that it can start. So it will be a while before I can start in another game. :(
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Post by Sysop » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Cherek wrote:
Sysop wrote:Funny that you said that. I just answered another question a couple hours ago about PHOST. I'm actually looking at it right now. :mrgreen:
The bad news, right now, my game card is full with 2 games going, 2 games started this week and trying to get No Frills III filled up so that it can start. So it will be a while before I can start in another game. :(
No Worries, I won't be starting a PHost game for a bit. Just doing the research right now and trying to get familar with it.
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:15 am
Location: San Angelo, TX

Post by Klauser » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:56 pm

I started playing VGAP back in 1993 on several local BBS's and over the last 12 years have sort of evolved into the local VGAP host. I usually run about 2 games a year for a fairly regular group of guys.

Our games usually alternate - one game will be plain vanilla VGAP with some minor addons, then we'll get a wild hair and try something different - a scenario or a team game.

Our favorite addons would have to be (in rough order ..)
- Giveplan
- Teleport
- FHost
- Dan & Dave Addons
- Killing Floor

Recently, our games have included Giveplan and Teleport as a default and -depending on the conditions of the game/scenario - will consider adding FHost or Dan/Dave Addons.

I'm a big fan of Killing Floor, but most of my players don't care to register it, so we don't play with it as much as I'd hoped.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Post by Sysop » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Klauser wrote:I started playing VGAP back in 1993 on several local BBS's and over the last 12 years have sort of evolved into the local VGAP host. I usually run about 2 games a year for a fairly regular group of guys.

Our games usually alternate - one game will be plain vanilla VGAP with some minor addons, then we'll get a wild hair and try something different - a scenario or a team game.

Our favorite addons would have to be (in rough order ..)
- Giveplan
- Teleport
- FHost
- Dan & Dave Addons
- Killing Floor

Recently, our games have included Giveplan and Teleport as a default and -depending on the conditions of the game/scenario - will consider adding FHost or Dan/Dave Addons.

I'm a big fan of Killing Floor, but most of my players don't care to register it, so we don't play with it as much as I'd hoped.
I started to reply to this around lunch time and I'm still writing the reply What was supposed to be a general reply to your post has turned into an impromptu history of the site's origin. I anticpated writing a paragraph or two and am on my third page.

So, I'll have that posted in my blank history page shortly :)
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

History Link

Post by Sysop » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 am

The history link has been populated :)

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Post by Shardin5 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:22 am

I am enjoying all 3 game setups, so far.

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:15 am
Location: San Angelo, TX

Post by Klauser » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:33 am

Wow ... I just read your history page. Great stuff.

I gotta get back to the grind ... only five more days to finish my scenario entry!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Post by Sysop » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:18 am

Klauser wrote:Wow ... I just read your history page. Great stuff.

I gotta get back to the grind ... only five more days to finish my scenario entry!!
The pic of the original site I was building is dated back to 2000. You can see even back then I had the little square idea for the downloads :)
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Armendariz
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:34 am
Location: Oxnard California

Post by Armendariz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:02 am

can we get an host 999 no fillis going????



Armendariz

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: Brownsboro, AL USA
Contact:

Post by Cherek » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:47 am

Armendariz wrote:can we get an host 999 no fillis going????

Armendariz
Armendariz,
If you like games with 999 ships, you should try a Phost game with 999 ships, that is a brutal game.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:36 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact:

Post by Sysop » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:19 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Armendariz wrote:can we get an host 999 no fillis going????

Armendariz
Armendariz,
If you like games with 999 ships, you should try a Phost game with 999 ships, that is a brutal game.
Once some of the earliar games die down, I'm going to setup a PHOST game. I got all the programs to do it a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten back to them yet.
Best Regards,

Joe

Post Reply

Return to “Game Suggestions”