Lot of new players/possibilities

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Should there be games for players of different experience?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:38 am

No, I like killing newbies - makes mee fell good!
1
6%
No for another reason.
8
50%
Yes, more equal players make the game more interesting.
7
44%
Total votes: 16

JoeSnoffy
Posts: 8

Post#31 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Hi All,

Why are you guys all talking about how the player that is new to VGA Planets experiences the game :?:

I would like to have some kind of level on my games, to be protected from new players that have not bothered to read a strategy guide about their race or anything else about the game :!:

At the same time I don't like too many add-ons, as I find that VGA Planets as Tim made it has the perfect complexity level for me and making the game more complex doesn’t necessary make it more fun to play.

Best wishes,

JoeSnoffy

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#32 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:05 pm

JoeSnoffy wrote:Hi All,

Why are you guys all talking about how the player that is new to VGA Planets experiences the game :?:

I would like to have some kind of level on my games, to be protected from new players that have not bothered to read a strategy guide about their race or anything else about the game :!:

At the same time I don't like too many add-ons, as I find that VGA Planets as Tim made it has the perfect complexity level for me and making the game more complex doesn’t necessary make it more fun to play.

Best wishes,

JoeSnoffy
Joe,

That's what the No Frills style games are. It's a default game with the program Tim gave us. No add-on's at all.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#33 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:42 pm

JoeSnoffy wrote:Hi All,

Why are you guys all talking about how the player that is new to VGA Planets experiences the game :?:

I would like to have some kind of level on my games, to be protected from new players that have not bothered to read a strategy guide about their race or anything else about the game :!:

At the same time I don't like too many add-ons, as I find that VGA Planets as Tim made it has the perfect complexity level for me and making the game more complex doesn’t necessary make it more fun to play.

Best wishes,

JoeSnoffy
yea, RIGHT!

that is an important thing. protect the strong :P

no really! i do not play for too long, but i often ask myself why ppl do not know certain things.... you can all find it in the net. several times at once if you like.

and i also agree, that the standard settings are cool. although right there the questions start: is ES-bonus on or off? ;)

cheers
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#34 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:55 pm

hennef wrote:and i also agree, that the standard settings are cool. although right there the questions start: is ES-bonus on or off? ;)

cheers
Off by default.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#35 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
hennef wrote:and i also agree, that the standard settings are cool. although right there the questions start: is ES-bonus on or off? ;)

cheers
Off by default.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Junior
Posts: 42

Post#36 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:23 am

I too started playing around 1992 or so. Man, I remember when a humanoid planet was worth losing your empire over... Oh the epic battles over single planets! :D

Personally, I do not think that separate games for differing levels of experience helps new players at all. If they do not come up against a more difficult opponent, they will never grow as players. Some of the best tactics that I use I gained from playing against more experienced players.

Another problem I have with ranked games is that as an experienced player myself (coming back to play planets after a brief hiatus and trying to sign up for new games), I find being automatically limited to games with all newbies quite unsatisfying! It is nice to teach some new players the ropes, but when everyone else but you is new it is not fun at all.
"In distinguishing the advantages of the tools of warriors, we find that whatever the weapon, there is a time and situation in which it is appropriate."
- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#37 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:22 am

Junior wrote:
Personally, I do not think that separate games for differing levels of experience helps new players at all. If they do not come up against a more difficult opponent, they will never grow as players. Some of the best tactics that I use I gained from playing against more experienced players.
The victors (or winners) write the history. In vga language - the survivors tell it the way it was for them. The above point of view obviously isn't going to receive a different point of view i.e. 'i played six games of vga, and got wiped each time, and so gave up'; because those ex-players are just that - ex players. Yes, those of us who toughed it out are the better for it, but the game overall might be better for it, if we had a larger base of players.

Just another point of view.

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#38 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:11 am

Cardno wrote:
Junior wrote:
Personally, I do not think that separate games for differing levels of experience helps new players at all. If they do not come up against a more difficult opponent, they will never grow as players. Some of the best tactics that I use I gained from playing against more experienced players.
The victors (or winners) write the history. In vga language - the survivors tell it the way it was for them. The above point of view obviously isn't going to receive a different point of view i.e. 'i played six games of vga, and got wiped each time, and so gave up'; because those ex-players are just that - ex players. Yes, those of us who toughed it out are the better for it, but the game overall might be better for it, if we had a larger base of players.

Just another point of view.
jup, i know many ppl who hate playing certain games with me at all, because i constantly win those games - i wonder why i never get anyone of those into planets??? we started a newbee-round with a few friends 2? years back from now and 3.5 ppl remained from that starting-game. noone knew the rules very well; all had a lot of fun; some wanted more. that is how you start playing a game. if i play a board-game and one knows all the rules while the others do not, there may be one who wants to beat the experienced player and wants to learn more about the game, but the others will much likely get frustrated fast, because he knows all the tricks and they know nothing - great fun! never play again! if you start with an unexperienced group, you all know nothing and every single bit you understand gives you a slight edge over the others. that is really exciting. if you realise you like the game, you go to turnaments and stuff, but not until you tried some of your new tricks on someone as new as you.

MHO
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#39 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:07 am

hennef wrote:
Cardno wrote:
Junior wrote:
Personally, I do not think that separate games for differing levels of experience helps new players at all. If they do not come up against a more difficult opponent, they will never grow as players. Some of the best tactics that I use I gained from playing against more experienced players.

jup, i know many ppl who hate playing certain games with me at all, because i constantly win those games - i wonder why i never get anyone of those into planets??? we started a newbee-round with a few friends 2? years back from now and 3.5 ppl remained from that starting-game. noone knew the rules very well; all had a lot of fun; some wanted more. that is how you start playing a game. if i play a board-game and one knows all the rules while the others do not, there may be one who wants to beat the experienced player and wants to learn more about the game, but the others will much likely get frustrated fast, because he knows all the tricks and they know nothing - great fun! never play again! if you start with an unexperienced group, you all know nothing and every single bit you understand gives you a slight edge over the others. that is really exciting. if you realise you like the game, you go to turnaments and stuff, but not until you tried some of your new tricks on someone as new as you.

MHO
Well thought out comments. I think the bottom line is that there are different grooves for different ppl. We aren't all wired the same way (thank God).


3.5 pl is a pretty good stat for those still playing...except, where do you get the 0.5 from man???

User avatar
Mika
Posts: 739
Contact:

Post#40 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 am

I think the thing about one guy knowing all tricks while others know nothing is the problem with vpl. It just attracts different people.

The ones who get frustrated will drop out very very early. Sure, you can play vpl when you know how to build ships, planetary structures and if you learn how to colonize and develop new worlds you are almost a pro ;)

but then you get your a$$ kicked by a real crack. That is the point where different decisions are made. The ones who want to know what this one guy makes so much better that there is such a huge difference... and the others that simply forget that game. If you want to learn more that can take years!!! Another good fact for people to forget the game.

Most important is a player who really wants to learn how the fine things in that game work... and others who tell it to that one player in forums or whatever.
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#41 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:33 am

Mika wrote:I think the thing about one guy knowing all tricks while others know nothing is the problem with vpl. It just attracts different people.

The ones who get frustrated will drop out very very early. Sure, you can play vpl when you know how to build ships, planetary structures and if you learn how to colonize and develop new worlds you are almost a pro ;)

but then you get your a$$ kicked by a real crack. That is the point where different decisions are made. The ones who want to know what this one guy makes so much better that there is such a huge difference... and the others that simply forget that game. If you want to learn more that can take years!!! Another good fact for people to forget the game.

Most important is a player who really wants to learn how the fine things in that game work... and others who tell it to that one player in forums or whatever.
I agree wtih all you have said, although i feel, its the very new players who tend to feel 'wiped' and may give up. There is a difference between learning, and between feeling like you are being made a joke off.

I think many fewer of us , with some experience give up when we come up against a real legend. Not that i beleive we have any real legends on this site.... :P

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#42 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:10 am

Only in our own minds and the other players who we can get to believe it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#43 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Cardno wrote:
hennef wrote:

jup, i know many ppl who hate playing certain games with me at all, because i constantly win those games - i wonder why i never get anyone of those into planets??? we started a newbee-round with a few friends 2? years back from now and 3.5 ppl remained from that starting-game. noone knew the rules very well; all had a lot of fun; some wanted more. ...

MHO
Well thought out comments. I think the bottom line is that there are different grooves for different ppl. We aren't all wired the same way (thank God).


3.5 pl is a pretty good stat for those still playing...except, where do you get the 0.5 from man???
well, a friend of mine would love to play, but lacks time badly - at least he did. maybe he will find time soon; after he just finished his diploma ;)
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron