Just for kicks: A story-profile for more Star Trek races

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BattleHymn REpublic
Posts: 17

Just for kicks: A story-profile for more Star Trek races

Post#1 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:38 am

If I have time, I'm going to write out and post more "VGAized" versions of Star Trek races. They're going to be:

* The Dominion
* Cardassians
* Lyran
* Hydran
* Mirak
* Interstellar Concordium

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: Just for kicks: A story-profile for more Star Trek races

Post#2 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:19 pm

BattleHymn REpublic wrote:If I have time, I'm going to write out and post more "VGAized" versions of Star Trek races. They're going to be:

* The Dominion
* Cardassians
* Lyran
* Hydran
* Mirak
* Interstellar Concordium
Don't forget the Breen :)
Regards,
][avok

BattleHymn REpublic
Posts: 17

Post#3 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:31 pm

The Domination

As with the rest of the universe, the Echo Cluster is home to all sorts of villainous beings, some more powerful than others The Domination is a race that is truly on the greater end of the spectrum for strength and terror.

A consortium of many different races, the Domination is ruled by a handful of supremely-powerful entities, known as the Foundation. This mysterious race created the Domination, and are largely suspected of not being native to our universe. In reality, they come from the x-dimension, with physical laws that are far alien to ours. As a result, they possessed vast telekinetic powers and the ability to morph and transform themselves and their ships to conquer all that stood before them.

The Foundation of the Domination had exotic technologies that gave them great shapeshifting ships that they used to rule over the lesser races who lived near to the opening from which they entered our universe. Several centuries ago, they carved out a veritable empire in their regions of the Echo Cluster, enslaving and seducing races to their power, and their philosophy.

Though the Domination hates all three-dimensional races, they do not so much seek the destruction of the Echo Cluster, but its submission to the Foundation's glory. With a superior attitude, the x-dimension rulers believe that it suits their purpose to bring all other races into their rule, and be united under one purpose. What that purpose is remains to be seen; until true unity can be achieved, the Domination's goals seem to be sheer dominion over all the space they survey. The only hint to whatever drives them is the sad history of the Foundation's first contact with our three-dimensional universe, in which many ancient races attacked their kind and sought to capture their power.

The Domination, through their arcane tech, uplifted and artifically evolved many of their subject races, allowing them to spread their message to the entire Cluster: join us, and gain glories beyond 3-D. Oppose us, and die. Ultimately, all races must make the decision to fight the Domination's power, or to surrender to their inexorable will.




The Absolutists

There used to be an idyllic planet, where a gentle race of people drifted through millennia as painters, poets, and penmakers. Their citizens were well-known for great intellectual and artistic developments, with an excellent educational system where the young rapidly learned and expanded their knowledge from an early age. Family, creativity, and ingenuity were all valued in their culture. This planet was left alone for centuries, and ths race grew steadily and peacefully, creating space travel and explore and trade with the universe.

All of this ended when interplanetary war occurred. Unlike other races, this culture had never committed great wars, and achieved a global civilization early on. But this time they were brutally attacked by an enemy, which laid waste to their colonies and savagely bombarded their planet. Only through extreme measures the race developed a military infrastructure out of nothing, bolstered through weapon purchases from more warlike races. Only through the sudden development of powerful strategies and tactics, they were able to beat back their stronger opponent. And only through the unification of the planet under one people, one government, and one race did they survive. The race, grateful to their military for doing what needed to be done to preserve themselves, forsook their way of life and became the Absolutists.

The Absolutists were able to avoid the chaos and starvation of a post-war period, and reconstructed quickly. Becoming a militant society, they launched a war against their former enemy a few decades after, subjugating them. After years of consolidation, their expansion continued, waging war after war against other races for resources and technologies. Soon, many planets came to be under Absolutist rule, in which they came to be treated as nothing more than servants for the mighty race to use at their leisure.

Their society also changed. While appreciation for art and architecture continued, the aesthetics soon turned for a focus on function and war. Military readiness was a priority. The Absolutists' excellent education system became places where the young trained to be capable of resisting enemy mind tricks and for lifelong service to their race. Families were made the bedrocks of support for the order. The state, whether at peace or at war, was to be worshipped by all citizens. Enemies of the state were to be hunted out and destroyed. Thus while they preserved much of their earlier values, they twisted them into absolute service for themselves, and perpetual distrust and malice towards all others.

Having met several other of the powerful races of the Echo Cluster and modernized their technology somewhat, the Absolutists stand ready to explore more worlds and to exploit them for their race's own benefit- and to exterminate all those who dare harm their state.

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#4 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Y'Know, I never much cared for the "VGA-ized" versions of the existing races.

But I gotta admit ... these are good!

The first one is obviously the Dominion. At first, I thought the Absolutists were the ISC. But after reading it through, they sound more like the Cardassians.

Good job, and I look forward to your take on the other Trek races.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#5 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:55 pm

BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Domination

As with the rest of the universe, the Echo Cluster is home to all sorts of villainous beings, some more powerful than others The Domination is a race that is truly on the greater end of the spectrum for strength and terror.

A consortium of many different races, the Domination is ruled by a handful of supremely-powerful entities, known as the Foundation. This mysterious race created the Domination, and are largely suspected of not being native to our universe. In reality, they come from the x-dimension, with physical laws that are far alien to ours. As a result, they possessed vast telekinetic powers and the ability to morph and transform themselves and their ships to conquer all that stood before them.

The Foundation of the Domination had exotic technologies that gave them great shapeshifting ships that they used to rule over the lesser races who lived near to the opening from which they entered our universe. Several centuries ago, they carved out a veritable empire in their regions of the Echo Cluster, enslaving and seducing races to their power, and their philosophy.

Though the Domination hates all three-dimensional races, they do not so much seek the destruction of the Echo Cluster, but its submission to the Foundation's glory. With a superior attitude, the x-dimension rulers believe that it suits their purpose to bring all other races into their rule, and be united under one purpose. What that purpose is remains to be seen; until true unity can be achieved, the Domination's goals seem to be sheer dominion over all the space they survey. The only hint to whatever drives them is the sad history of the Foundation's first contact with our three-dimensional universe, in which many ancient races attacked their kind and sought to capture their power.

The Domination, through their arcane tech, uplifted and artifically evolved many of their subject races, allowing them to spread their message to the entire Cluster: join us, and gain glories beyond 3-D. Oppose us, and die. Ultimately, all races must make the decision to fight the Domination's power, or to surrender to their inexorable will.
This will probably make me unpopular, but I have to say, I'm not fond of the Dominion write up. It doesn't IMOP keep up with what the Dominion is and goes off on it's own way to much for my taste. I don't recall shape shifting ships and such. The writing is as good as ever though.

BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Absolutists

There used to be an idyllic planet, where a gentle race of people drifted through millennia as painters, poets, and penmakers. Their citizens were well-known for great intellectual and artistic developments, with an excellent educational system where the young rapidly learned and expanded their knowledge from an early age. Family, creativity, and ingenuity were all valued in their culture. This planet was left alone for centuries, and ths race grew steadily and peacefully, creating space travel and explore and trade with the universe.

All of this ended when interplanetary war occurred. Unlike other races, this culture had never committed great wars, and achieved a global civilization early on. But this time they were brutally attacked by an enemy, which laid waste to their colonies and savagely bombarded their planet. Only through extreme measures the race developed a military infrastructure out of nothing, bolstered through weapon purchases from more warlike races. Only through the sudden development of powerful strategies and tactics, they were able to beat back their stronger opponent. And only through the unification of the planet under one people, one government, and one race did they survive. The race, grateful to their military for doing what needed to be done to preserve themselves, forsook their way of life and became the Absolutists.

The Absolutists were able to avoid the chaos and starvation of a post-war period, and reconstructed quickly. Becoming a militant society, they launched a war against their former enemy a few decades after, subjugating them. After years of consolidation, their expansion continued, waging war after war against other races for resources and technologies. Soon, many planets came to be under Absolutist rule, in which they came to be treated as nothing more than servants for the mighty race to use at their leisure.

Their society also changed. While appreciation for art and architecture continued, the aesthetics soon turned for a focus on function and war. Military readiness was a priority. The Absolutists' excellent education system became places where the young trained to be capable of resisting enemy mind tricks and for lifelong service to their race. Families were made the bedrocks of support for the order. The state, whether at peace or at war, was to be worshipped by all citizens. Enemies of the state were to be hunted out and destroyed. Thus while they preserved much of their earlier values, they twisted them into absolute service for themselves, and perpetual distrust and malice towards all others.

Having met several other of the powerful races of the Echo Cluster and modernized their technology somewhat, the Absolutists stand ready to explore more worlds and to exploit them for their race's own benefit- and to exterminate all those who dare harm their state.
Who is this race based on?
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#6 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:39 am

Havok wrote:
BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Domination
This will probably make me unpopular, but I have to say, I'm not fond of the Dominion write up. It doesn't IMOP keep up with what the Dominion is and goes off on it's own way to much for my taste. I don't recall shape shifting ships and such. The writing is as good as ever though.

BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Absolutists
Who is this race based on?
Truth be told, I think BHR's take on these races is about as true to form as Tim's orginal mangling of the Trek, SW and BG races. Given that as the goal - to "VGA-ize" the race - I thought BHR's write-ups matched pretty well.

My .02 credits worth ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#7 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 am

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:
BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Domination
This will probably make me unpopular, but I have to say, I'm not fond of the Dominion write up. It doesn't IMOP keep up with what the Dominion is and goes off on it's own way to much for my taste. I don't recall shape shifting ships and such. The writing is as good as ever though.

BattleHymn REpublic wrote:The Absolutists
Who is this race based on?
Truth be told, I think BHR's take on these races is about as true to form as Tim's orginal mangling of the Trek, SW and BG races. Given that as the goal - to "VGA-ize" the race - I thought BHR's write-ups matched pretty well.

My .02 credits worth ...
You have a point there Matt. I tend to be more of a purist :)
Regards,
][avok

BattleHymn REpublic
Posts: 17

Post#8 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:03 am

Yeah, I deliberately made the Domination a bit different from the Dominion, since I didn't want to rehash their origins (they were persecuted by the solids, etc.), though by that I may have made them a bit too preachy and fanatical (based around their ideology). I probably should have mentioned something for a Vorta- and Jem Heddar-analgoues, though.

As for the Absolutists, yeah, they're the Cardassians, minus the specifics about their interaction with the Federation, Klingons, Dominion, etc.

BattleHymn REpublic
Posts: 17

Post#9 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:35 pm

The Cougars

This is one of the more interesting of the warrior and warlike races of the Echo Cluster. Human-sized felines, the Cougars are thought to be distantly related to the larger Leonids, though they differ on several crucial features (not to mention that anyone mentioning that point is likely to be mauled by both). For one thing, the Cougars have a matriarchal society, but all of the hereditary rulers, from the King-Emperor to his vassal dukes and counts, are all male. That is because they are all figureheads, except for the King-Emperor himself, largely considered to be the strongest of all males amongst the Cougars, both physically and mentally.

The Cougars are roughly the size of large humans, and possess short temperments and great strength. Their feudal structure allows for much autonomy for the dukes, who each have an independent fleet of their own. While this allows for great flexibility in combat, aided by the Cougars' unique Energy Shield Globe, this has often led to in-fighting between the counties of the empire. The Cougar ships also possess many interchangeable parts and are very fast and well-armed, making up for their underpowered and small sizes.

Diplomatically, the Cougars can be very violent and brutal, but capable of forging strong allies based upon the philosophy of "an enemy of my enemy is my friend." They are a fierce and passionate people with an intense love of combat taught by all Cougar mothers from their cubs' birth. They hate the Leonids with a passion, seeing them as mutated giants out of Cougar legend, and once waged a war against the Methane Breathers just because one of their scientists suggested that the Cougars and Leonids shared a common genetic ancestor.

The Cougars developed in a much similar fashion as many other space-faring races. However, instead of a global war that unified their home planet and led to the development of space colonization, they found that their own internecine wars actually increased after their empire became far-flung and the counties enlarged into stellar system size. Though they continue to expand for their own race's sake, sometimes the only thing that can keep the Cougars together is a common enemy.

The Methane Breathers

Among the great powers of the Echo Cluster, few are stranger in appearance than the non-humanoid Methane Breathers. Hailing from a cold planet with a powerful graviational field and an atmosphere composed of the eponymous substance poisonous to most other races, they are short, barrel shaped, and trilaterally symmetrical. Methane Breathers are blue-grey in color, with three flexible tentacles for arms, three legs, and sense apparatus that sprout from a fleshy mound atop their bodies. This race also has three sexes, and all of their births result in triplets, one of each sex.

The Methane Breathers have a large monarchy with complicated lies of succession and an immense royal family numbering in tens of thousands, a result of a non-monogamous nature. Their government is run by an extensive nobility supported by a strong civil service and powerful trade guilds. However, while the Methane Breathers have a highly sophisticated religion with a large pantheon of minor gods, there is no clerical order that carries much power in their society.

Due to their largely peaceful nature, the Methane Breathers were attacked and their kingdom made into a satellite state by hostile races. For half a century, they lived in a client state, though not as slaves. After a daring plot by their merchant guilds to establish hidden bases far in space, the Methane Breathers revolted and defeated their overlords. During this time, they created sturdy war ships armed with many small shuttlecraft to be used as fighters.

Since then, the Methane Breathers have seen great leaps and bounds by in their technology and resources, and have moved for scientific exploration of the Echo Cluster. A peaceful and calm race, they are willing to work with others and share the universe.

The Leonids

This race of large bipedal felines are widely known all over as strategic geniuses with professionalism and personal aggressiveness. The Leonids love to prove themselves in combat, often entering battle without thinking, but managing to come up with elaborate solutions to defeat their enemies even in hopeless situations. Even though their culture venerates the memory of many young heroes who fell in war, in reality the backbone of their defense is commanded by a hardy group of expert military thinkers who have survived the countless conflicts over the years and managed to understand it completely.

Like their smaller cousins the Cougars, the Leonids are predatory carnivores whose indomitable will has only been stopped by rampant in-fighting. Their government is led by a Patriarch who plans the movements of the Leonid battle fleets, and to arbitrate disputes between the fleet leaders. Regional powers are great, and many fleet leaders attempt to thwart the wishes of their ruler, such as by attacking their allies' frontier worlds.

In the end, however, the Leonids are the enemies of the Cougars, through and through. The two sides have been at war for at least a century During a time of crisis several decades ago, the Cougars and their allies invaded Leonid space, almost conquering it until a new fleet leader arose and crushed their expeditionary forces. The commander won over the loyalty of many other fleet leaders and crowned himself Patriarch, strengthening it and ordering all fleets to maintain peace and to cooperate completely in fighting against their enemies.

As the Leonids reconstructed their hegemony and developed better weaponry, they have continued to expand. Seeing as other races as weaker than themselves, especially the Cougars, who they consider to be alien dwarves, the Leonids are ready to conquer the galaxy and to prove their skills through lethal conflict.

The Stellar Concord

Hundreds of thousands of years ago, a collection of several powerful telephatic races formed a single government in a region within the Echo Cluster. Seeing themselves as a harmonious group of peace-lovers and order-seekers, they forged the Stellar Concord, eventually becoming a great power. Without the Stellar Concord, they believe, civilization would vanish and only violence would reign. With fanaticism and one a fine fleet, they see themselves as the true guardians endowed with the responsibility to enforce discipline and re-education upon all of their neighbors. As their borders have expanded through their efforts to bring more races under their banner, they have found more and more neighbors to convert.

Though initially devoted to bringing races to their cause, the Stellar Concord has increasingly become a force that seeks to find conflict in order to force all warring sides to stop. With their knowledge and power, they have again and again stopped wars by simply defeating all sides and forcing a peace. The Stellar Concord has extensive experience with the tactics and ships of war, though they see themselves as bringers of peace.

The hard truth is that the Stellar Concord believe in the freedom from war, but not the liberties of choice. They do not care for individual or cultural rights, and abide by the ideals of "the ends justify the means." They possess no guiding charter, only a few fundamental principles, and are not above forcing other races to become telepaths to become inducted within their society and so be constantly under the watchful gaze of their peacekeepers.

Having only recently left the shell of their home region, the Stellar Concord has met many of the great powers of the Echo Cluster. Only time will tell if they launch a campaign to pacify and to purify the entire galaxy.

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#10 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 am

BHR –

All in all, good stuff. It’s clear you did a bit of research yourself on these SFB-based races.

Personally, I wouldn’t have included the part in the Cougar write-up on the “Energy Shield Globe” – mainly because it refers to a weapon technology that doesn’t exist in VGAP.

Thanks for the good read!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#11 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 pm

I have heard nothing about the infamous Gerbil Race, which has eluded destruction from other races by secreting itself in the Gere Black Hole Quarter of the Echo Cluster.

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron