Challenge to Death's Head

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

anubis

Challenge to Death's Head

Post#1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:22 pm

This is an open challenge to Death’s Head.

Mr. Head:

We have gone up against each other twice now, you won the first, the second is definitely up in the air, but in both cases, external factors (i.e. other players) influenced the outcome.

This is a chance to remove that outside factor.

I am challenging you to a one on one game to determine the ultimate winner. Havok has agreed to host it here at Circus-Maximus, so there is no need to have the host be one of us.

Rules:

We each play either 2 or 3 races (your choice). 1 race on 1 race leaves too much to the rock-paper-scissors that is inherent in VGA planets.

Basic game setup:

Tim Host

Just like a No Frills game with the possible exception of Sphere. I prefer no addons at all, but sphere can be added if you really want it.

Race Exclusions:

Sometimes privateers and/or cyborg are excluded from these games.
If we leave the ‘Borg in play, I would suggest disabling Chunnel.

Personally I like to exclude the Privateers and leave the ‘Borg, but I have played in these types of games with both, neither, or either of these two and they all work. In this game, I will let you choose.

Number of races per side: 2 or 3 (your choice). I would suggest 3 (as it makes the teams a bit more even) but you can set the number.

Turns/ Week: I would suggest 1 or 2 (with the host set to run when all TRN's are in). Playing more than 1 race will take time and I don't want either of us to feel rushed.

Race Selection order (you can be player 1 or player 2, your choice)

2 races per side: Player 1 selects 1, player 2 selects 2, player 1 selects 1. Player 2 may change ONE of his races for a remaining race if he/she wants.

3 races per side: Player 1 selects 1, player 2 selects 2, player 1 selects 2, player 2 selects 1. No side may change any once selected.

Ship list: Tim’s,

End Game: Last one standing. (this is a 1 on 1 game with 3 races, so it ends either when one side surrenders, or when 1 side has lost all THREE races. Elimination of one races does not equal a win).

Map: Random generation is my suggestion. Host to place homeworlds so that each side’s 2 or 3 homeworlds are close to each other and reasonable far from the other side. If you have a favorite map in mind, I am open to looking at it. There have been a few developed for this type of game, and I am open to one of those as well. One possibility would be the Rift Quadrant map from this site.

I am throwing my gauntlet at your feet. Are you going to pick it up?

(in case it is not clear, this is a friendly challenge. I freely admit that you kicked my butt in the NF 15 game. I am just looking for a chance to even the score.....)

My thanks to Havok for agreeing to host this.

Shardin5

Post#2 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:06 am

Ok,
Sounds like several people are trying to copy the Grudge match Sherek and I tried to start last year.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

hennef

Post#3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:09 am

i don´t know Shardin, it seems easier to invent such a scenario anew, than to copy it - i mean, it is a one-on-one! those things exist till...... well, forever :P
have fun!

hennef

anubis

Post#4 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:42 am

Enemy#1 wrote:Ok,
Sounds like several people are trying to copy the Grudge match Sherek and I tried to start last year.
I don't know about coping your match in particular. As the previous poster pointed out, one-on-one matches have been around in other games forever, and in VGA planets for as long as I have been playing (1992).

Shardin5

Post#5 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:21 am

Head to Head matches have been around. The grudge match settings that Sherek and I were working on last, year, Multi-Races and other things. Heck Sherek and I even had a forum section to ourselves, but the phost options we needed could be achieved at that time.
President Ronald Reagan

anubis

Post#6 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:25 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:Head to Head matches have been around. The grudge match settings that Sherek and I were working on last, year, Multi-Races and other things. Heck Sherek and I even had a forum section to ourselves, but the phost options we needed could be achieved at that time.
While I am sure that the settings I posted are similar to your game, I did not copy yours (to be honest, I had never heard of yours). Multi-race head-to-head has been around for a LONG time. Single race head-to-head doesn't work as well due to the natrual imbalance between certain races.

Shardin5

Post#7 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Hmmm
before we get off track, good luck with your grudge match, I was pointing out your config to get our HOST's attention, as it couldn't be done, last year, but the problem for our game was PHOST settings, I believe. I wasn't harrassing you saying you were copying our game, I was JUST POINTING IT OUT, to get somebody else attention. Good Luck, and Death's Head should have more time on his hands, as I will remove him from Border Patrol as soon as I find him.
President Ronald Reagan

Death's Head

Post#8 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Damn it, had my post ready and dropped carrier so lost it ALL ! :rage: Well here goes again....

Hello Anubis,

I read the post last night and have been mulling over whether I want to take on another game or not. I have 5 games running, 3 here and 2 on RC World. I noticed you also have 4 games running here and like me one of those is the DD3 daily game. Anyhow, if you can agree to my game setup I think I can handle another game since it will run once a week.

The 3 race setup works for me, and I will let you pick first. The Borg and the Privateer will NOT be available as races to chosse from. I would like the game to run once a week, on Tuesday, and I'm sure that since it will be just you and me we will be able to jump start the game in the beginning.

I would like to have 3 addons in play to speed up the game so it doesn't take us 2 years to end it. The addons I would like are Starbase Plus, Jumpgate, and Homeworld with the Killrace enabled for that addon. Loss of the Homeworld = Loss of the Race.

The map should be the one presently being used in Hemispheres, since this divides the Echo Cluster into two halfs instead of 4 quarters. The Ancient Jumpgate would be placed in the void between hemispheres. Homeworlds can be placed as you suggested by Havok, but I'd like to see them placed in a traingular manner with at least a 150-200 ly spread.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the use of the addons will help speed the game up a bit, make it more interesting, and the Jumpgate addon will allow for quicker movement of forces.

That's where I stand on the game. I'm not really sure what you're point is in challenging me to a head to head game since the normal game scenario that is played requires alliances to be made and enemies selected from a pool of players. The trick is to pick and choose them wisely and live with what you have for allies. Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you get bad ones, and sometimes you get really GREAT ones.

The NF-15 game was pretty much a one on one game since the Empire didn't even have any ships in play against you. He merely provided intel and the ability for me to have overlapping minefields.

DD3 is a different animal altogether, which now that you see who I'm allied with, has probably given you second thoughts on attacking me. I was quite happy with living with the NAP we had there, but I guess you got bored and needed a mission for all those ships you control. :lol: I think you probably regret it now, since it will probably lead to large losses for you in the game. We were quite happy to take on the Borg and Rebel until you launched your attack. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure it will be an interesting game.

Look forward to your reply and hope you can agree to my terms for the scenario. I really won't be up for a game that will be long and drawn out as the Vanilla scenario you present, so let me know if my plan works for you.
Death's Head (Your Worst Nightmare)

anubis

Post#9 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:14 pm

Death's Head wrote:The 3 race setup works for me, and I will let you pick first. The Borg and the Privateer will NOT be available as races to chosse from. I would like the game to run once a week, on Tuesday, and I'm sure that since it will be just you and me we will be able to jump start the game in the beginning.
3 races, no borg, no privateers is great by me. I will pick 1, you pick 2, I pick 2, you pick one.

Once a week on Tuesdays is also OK with me. Do you want to set it to host when TRNs are all in?
Death's Head wrote: I would like to have 3 addons in play to speed up the game so it doesn't take us 2 years to end it. The addons I would like are Starbase Plus, Jumpgate, and Homeworld with the Killrace enabled for that addon. Loss of the Homeworld = Loss of the Race.
Starbase+ is fine. Homeworld is fine as long as it is set to killrace. Jumpgate is also OK with me, but I would prefer to set the Aliens to disabled. This should be a game between us, without a random computer ship adding that much chance to the game.

Death's Head wrote: The map should be the one presently being used in Hemispheres, since this divides the Echo Cluster into two halfs instead of 4 quarters. The Ancient Jumpgate would be placed in the void between hemispheres. Homeworlds can be placed as you suggested by Havok, but I'd like to see them placed in a traingular manner with at least a 150-200 ly spread.
I have not seen that map, but assuming it divides the area into two equal halves with a void >81 lys in the middle, that is fine with me.

Death's Head wrote: The NF-15 game was pretty much a one on one game since the Empire didn't even have any ships in play against you. He merely provided intel and the ability for me to have overlapping minefields.
Like I said, you kicked my butt in that game. We can argue about how valuable intel from the EE is, or how crappy the privs are against the birdmen, but in the end, you destroyed me.
Death's Head wrote: DD3 is a different animal altogether, which now that you see who I'm allied with, has probably given you second thoughts on attacking me. I was quite happy with living with the NAP we had there, but I guess you got bored and needed a mission for all those ships you control. :lol: I think you probably regret it now, since it will probably lead to large losses for you in the game. We were quite happy to take on the Borg and Rebel until you launched your attack. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure it will be an interesting game.
Oh, it is going to be interesting. Seeing you allied with those others was a setback, but we will work around it.....

Death's Head wrote: Look forward to your reply and hope you can agree to my terms for the scenario. I really won't be up for a game that will be long and drawn out as the Vanilla scenario you present, so let me know if my plan works for you.
Oh, not long and drawn out is fine with me. I just want to make sure that the starting positions are clean. Your addon suggestions are good and should make it go a bit quicker.

Death's Head

Post#10 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:52 pm

Cool, sounds like we have a plan then.

Yes to your question of running the game when all turn files are received, and I agree on the Aliens being disabled.

How do we proceed here with race selection? You just post your first pick, me my two picks, you your 2 picks and then my final pick work for you? If so, go ahead and post it... :)

This will be a fun game I think, first time I've ever done a head to head game.

I find it interesting that Death's Head will be fighting Anubis. Since Anubis is the Egyptian god of the underworld and/or death. :lol: See you in hell my friend....

anubis

Post#11 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Death's Head wrote:Cool, sounds like we have a plan then.

Yes to your question of running the game when all turn files are received, and I agree on the Aliens being disabled.

How do we proceed here with race selection? You just post your first pick, me my two picks, you your 2 picks and then my final pick work for you? If so, go ahead and post it... :)

This will be a fun game I think, first time I've ever done a head to head game.

I find it interesting that Death's Head will be fighting Anubis. Since Anubis is the Egyptian god of the underworld and/or death. :lol: See you in hell my friend....
We can do it here and get comments/suggestions from the peanut gallery, or we can do it via email and then just email the results to havoc. Either way works for me. My email address is posted in my player details, so if you want to do it that way, just let me know. Otherwise, I'll post my first pick here.

Death's Head

Post#12 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm

Let's just do it here and let the peanut gallery have their say. :lol: Just as long as they can keep on subject. I hate it when threads take a 180 degree turn because someone wants to discuss things other than what is the posted subject. :x

Wanted to add that when the master is done by Havok, how about we start our starbases out with tech 10 engines as well as the starting ships with tech 10 engines. Never did like those first 2 crap ships we get when the first turn is run.

Since it wasn't mentioned what the start settings will be, how about we go with high mineral, high pop and high money start. That way we will be able to start pounding each other real soon. :shock:

That's it for now, back to painting the trim on the trailer. Will check back in an hour or two and see what you have for your first race.

anubis

Post#13 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Death's Head wrote:Let's just do it here and let the peanut gallery have their say. :lol: Just as long as they can keep on subject. I hate it when threads take a 180 degree turn because someone wants to discuss things other than what is the posted subject. :x

Wanted to add that when the master is done by Havok, how about we start our starbases out with tech 10 engines as well as the starting ships with tech 10 engines. Never did like those first 2 crap ships we get when the first turn is run.

Since it wasn't mentioned what the start settings will be, how about we go with high mineral, high pop and high money start. That way we will be able to start pounding each other real soon. :shock:

That's it for now, back to painting the trim on the trailer. Will check back in an hour or two and see what you have for your first race.
I didn't realize that the starting ships/tech levels could be modified like that. Anyhow, that is fine with me. Those first two ships were crap, so having them with Transwarps will at least make them reasonable scouts.

High-High-High is fine with me.

For my first race, I will select the Federation.

Death's Head

Post#14 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:36 pm

OK, my two picks will be the Empire and Lizard races....

Back to you.....

Cardno

Re: Challenge to Death's Head

Post#15 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:14 pm

anubis wrote:This is an open challenge to Death’s Head.

Mr. Head:

We have gone up against each other twice now, you won the first, the second is definitely up in the air, but in both cases, external factors (i.e. other players) influenced the outcome.

This is a chance to remove that outside factor.

I am challenging you to a one on one game to determine the ultimate winner. Havok has agreed to host it here at Circus-Maximus, so there is no need to have the host be one of us.

Rules:

We each play either 2 or 3 races (your choice). 1 race on 1 race leaves too much to the rock-paper-scissors that is inherent in VGA planets.

Basic game setup:

Tim Host

Just like a No Frills game with the possible exception of Sphere. I prefer no addons at all, but sphere can be added if you really want it.

Race Exclusions:

Sometimes privateers and/or cyborg are excluded from these games.
If we leave the ‘Borg in play, I would suggest disabling Chunnel.

Personally I like to exclude the Privateers and leave the ‘Borg, but I have played in these types of games with both, neither, or either of these two and they all work. In this game, I will let you choose.

Number of races per side: 2 or 3 (your choice). I would suggest 3 (as it makes the teams a bit more even) but you can set the number.

Turns/ Week: I would suggest 1 or 2 (with the host set to run when all TRN's are in). Playing more than 1 race will take time and I don't want either of us to feel rushed.

Race Selection order (you can be player 1 or player 2, your choice)

2 races per side: Player 1 selects 1, player 2 selects 2, player 1 selects 1. Player 2 may change ONE of his races for a remaining race if he/she wants.

3 races per side: Player 1 selects 1, player 2 selects 2, player 1 selects 2, player 2 selects 1. No side may change any once selected.

Ship list: Tim’s,

End Game: Last one standing. (this is a 1 on 1 game with 3 races, so it ends either when one side surrenders, or when 1 side has lost all THREE races. Elimination of one races does not equal a win).

Map: Random generation is my suggestion. Host to place homeworlds so that each side’s 2 or 3 homeworlds are close to each other and reasonable far from the other side. If you have a favorite map in mind, I am open to looking at it. There have been a few developed for this type of game, and I am open to one of those as well. One possibility would be the Rift Quadrant map from this site.

I am throwing my gauntlet at your feet. Are you going to pick it up?

(in case it is not clear, this is a friendly challenge. I freely admit that you kicked my butt in the NF 15 game. I am just looking for a chance to even the score.....)

My thanks to Havok for agreeing to host this.
Heck, Annubis - are we related? This sounds a lot like my post to Loki..... :lol:

have you thought to play SRACE, and play the same two or three races? As i understand it, SRACE needs PHOST, rather than Timhost. Just an option..

Return to “Game Suggestions”