Game Setup Discussion

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Samuelt86

Post#16 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:11 am

This has been an interesting discussion. I cannot explain why more torpedo races have not been winning. I think it really comes down to experience. Carrier races are easier to play. My own opinion is that an experienced torpedo race player can beat any of the carrier races. You just have to play the race using their attributes. I would not cut them short. The Facsist are probably the more difficult. You really have to play their race attributes.

My favorate was first the Feds, then it was the Tholian. Now it is the Birds. All the torpedo races are very winnable. I have gotten to where I like all of them. Of course the Pirates are the most fun of all. Ok, they are not a torpedo race. But they are fun to play.

Dropping the population to 1 million would help the Borg (a lot) but it would also help the Gorn. The colonist would just have to be managed just as you manage minerals, and cash. It means not taxing your colonist except in extreme cases and letting them grow. A lot of Gorn hurt themselves by taxing their homeworld. It just takes management.

Dropping starting cash to 5000 again helps the Borg (a lot) but it also helps the Gorn. Think about it.

The real challenging ones are the No Frills games starting players on the very edge of the map. This is especially true if the nearest planet is over 100 light years. I have had two such No Frills games. I thought they were death sentences. They take real work developing your economy. It takes all your fuel to get colonist out. One of them started with 5000 cash. The saving grace is I think everybody started on the edge. It gives the Borg a sizable advantage as they could HYP to other locations. But they did not seem to capitalize on it much. It is a real challenge.

No matter how the games is set, as long as it is the same for all, then it is fair. Some races will have an advantage no matter what. It is just a matter of who gets the advantage. It is also a matter of how you look at it. Large populations give advantages to other races over the Borg. Used to be the lower population (one million) was the starting amount. Everybody has gotten used to large populations. And now that is the default. There was and is skill in population management too. My early games in VGAP started with one million. Three million makes it easy. With a million, you can drain your HW if you are not careful. The same goes with starting cash and minerals.

The only item I don't like is meteors hitting homeworlds.

Sam

Captain Blood

Post#17 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:57 pm

Hmm

Believe we where debating if only 1 mio. clans was an advantage for the lizard or not. It is not due to the fact it is limiting your income very much.

Which are more importent that your adversaries capability to move a few mio. clans. to defend against your ground attack.

Low starting cash and minerals are always an advantage for the Lizard/priv. Nothing new in that.

Which race being the strongest was not an issue either I believe.
Regards,

Captain Blood

hennef

Post#18 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:33 pm

i seriously do not understand why low starting pop would be an advantage for the lizards. and i also do not understand why i should EVER tax a normals planet's population. it produces no money at all if there are 100clans and it is only worth at all with 5000+ clans. i always wonder why ppl set their planets to safetax. just to produce 7money per turn and have growth halved or worse...... ](*,) ](*,)

but that Is another question at all.

one thing is sure though: if you set low minerals and low starting pop, you will have a VERY slow game.
have fun!

hennef

anubis

Post#19 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:24 pm

hennef wrote:i seriously do not understand why low starting pop would be an advantage for the lizards. and i also do not understand why i should EVER tax a normals planet's population. it produces no money at all if there are 100clans and it is only worth at all with 5000+ clans. i always wonder why ppl set their planets to safetax. just to produce 7money per turn and have growth halved or worse...... ](*,) ](*,)

but that Is another question at all.

one thing is sure though: if you set low minerals and low starting pop, you will have a VERY slow game.
Randmax causes populations, even small ones, to produce a slight income. To be honest, I just let it determine tax rates for everything.

Low starting populations gives the Borg a HUGE advantage. To a lesser degree, the Feds get an advantage as well (due to the 2x tax rate over the colonist values, so a 1000 clan planet can produce 2000 credits....).

Sinner

Post#20 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:27 am

Hi All
Low starting populations gives the Borg a HUGE advantage. To a lesser degree, the Feds get an advantage as well (due to the 2x tax rate over the colonist values, so a 1000 clan planet can produce 2000 credits....).

Even if a low pop game gives FEDs an advantage, I find the mineral mining rate takes that away, I have only just started playing the FEDs and i have found that i end up with a good amount of money.

Yet I still struggle to get good ships out in a low mineral game cos it just seems to take a long time to get the minerals out of the ground.

Regards Sinner
Up here in space, I'm looking down on you
My Lasers trace, Everything you do
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

hennef

Post#21 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:45 pm

Sinner wrote:Hi All

Even if a low pop game gives FEDs an advantage, I find the mineral mining rate takes that away, I have only just started playing the FEDs and i have found that i end up with a good amount of money.

Yet I still struggle to get good ships out in a low mineral game cos it just seems to take a long time to get the minerals out of the ground.

Regards Sinner
that is a completely different thing though. low pop and low minerals are not the same things. and i agree that the fed need less ppl to get a lot of money. but for 100 mines you only need 100 ppl. it is the same in every game. so in low mineral-game the lizards would get the minerals faster - as they ever do - but still it would be the same low amount for everyone. no offence, but i do not see your point.
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Game Suggestions”