Honor Harrington Scenario

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Black Knight

Honor Harrington Scenario

Post#1 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm a big fan of the David Weber series. Has anyone ported his universe into the realm of VGA Planets? If not, I'm going to get started on the design contest for '07. :D
Black Knight

"It's only an unfair advantage if it's not yours."

Klauser

Re: Honor Harrington Scenario

Post#2 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Black Knight wrote:I'm a big fan of the David Weber series. Has anyone ported his universe into the realm of VGA Planets? If not, I'm going to get started on the design contest for '07. :D
Ooooooo!!! An Honor Harrington-based scenario. I would love to see that one see the light of day.

I'll be real interested to see what you come up with!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Black Knight

Post#3 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:50 pm

Sounds like no one has created this kind of scenario yet. I'm calling dibs on this idea for next year's contest. :D

There are going to be some round peg / square hole trade-offs to be made since VGAP game mechanics don't exactly match up with Weber's.

Some things are fairly obvious that needs to be done for this to work. Like a custom map that includes places like Trevor's Star, Basilisk Station, and Manticore.

I definitely need to use an altered ship list. Any How-To docs out there for this kind of thing? Any pointers on creating an altered ship list would be appreciated.

And in the HH universe fixed wormholes are very important. I'm certain there has to be an addon or program that can handle this.

What I think would give Weber fans the closest flavor from the books would be for fleets to be prepositioned and the ship cap to have been already reached or soon to be reached when the game starts. Of course that takes away from the 'normal' VGAP game.

There are some interesting design options available if the game starts this way. For example, the SuperDreadnought from the books can be made to be vastly expensive... (i.e. not realistic to build one during the game)... but you can have several already built for you to defend your home system.

Which brings me to my question here... is there enough interest in the VGAP community to play a Honor Harrington scenario with prepositioned fleets of Havenite, Manticore, Andermani, Solarian League, etc...?

And for those of you not really familiar with the Honor Harrington series you're really missing out on a great military scifi series. I highly recommend it.
Black Knight

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Honor Harrington Scenario

Post#4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Black Knight wrote:I'm a big fan of the David Weber series. Has anyone ported his universe into the realm of VGA Planets? If not, I'm going to get started on the design contest for '07. :D
Have at it!

Make a little bit of a background history for the scenario

Make a map.

Make a Ship list.

Make graphics for Winplan & Dos.

Figure out which addon's you want to use with the scenario (if any)

Make GOOD instructions for players and the host that will run it.

TEST TEST TEST

Then you'll be ready.

And yes, I left some things out :)
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#5 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:17 pm

Black Knight wrote:Sounds like no one has created this kind of scenario yet. I'm calling dibs on this idea for next year's contest. :D
Great - I'll look forward to seeing it!

Black Knight wrote:There are going to be some round peg / square hole trade-offs to be made since VGAP game mechanics don't exactly match up with Weber's.

Some things are fairly obvious that needs to be done for this to work. Like a custom map that includes places like Trevor's Star, Basilisk Station, and Manticore.

I definitely need to use an altered ship list. Any How-To docs out there for this kind of thing? Any pointers on creating an altered ship list would be appreciated.

And in the HH universe fixed wormholes are very important. I'm certain there has to be an addon or program that can handle this.

What I think would give Weber fans the closest flavor from the books would be for fleets to be prepositioned and the ship cap to have been already reached or soon to be reached when the game starts. Of course that takes away from the 'normal' VGAP game.

There are some interesting design options available if the game starts this way. For example, the SuperDreadnought from the books can be made to be vastly expensive... (i.e. not realistic to build one during the game)... but you can have several already built for you to defend your home system.

Which brings me to my question here... is there enough interest in the VGAP community to play a Honor Harrington scenario with prepositioned fleets of Havenite, Manticore, Andermani, Solarian League, etc...?
I've done several of these "full conversions" - i.e. new races/ship list/maps with prepositioned fleets (FedEmp and Klingon Civil War) - so let me offer these thoughts:

- First and foremost, decide on a theme - do you want this to be a standard expland from your homeworld style scenario, or do you want to reflect a specific scenario from HH - i.e. on of the Manticore/Havenite conflicts.

- Once you settle on a theme, take a look a who the players are. In the HH universe the "powers' mentiones are the Manitcoran Alliance, Republic of Haven, the Aldermani Empire, the Silesian Confederacy, the Solarian League and a slew of smaller independent powers. The problem becomes that while the Manticorans, Havenite and Aldemani are roughly similar in fleet size, most of the rest are smaller. With the exception Solarian League - that's problematic. From the HH books you get the impression they are a huge, high tech fleet with the possible weakness of not being real combat-experienced.

- What races go in which player slot? And how about special race abilities. THost is a god place to start, but PHost gives you more flexibily to assign special race and ship abilities.

- You touched on shiplists - You might want to rough out what each class of ships is in terms of mass, crew, weapons load in the VGAP world. Remember that THost recogizes a max of 10 beams and 10 torp launcher/fighter bays. IIRC PHost allows more but I'm just learning it so other players can speak to it's limitations. A quick review of the ships on Wikipedia for the Royal Manitcoran Navy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Manticoran_Navy ) shows destroyers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, battlecruisers, dreadnoughts, super-dreadnoughts, and LAC's. Then decide which race gets what ships.

- Once you get all that determined, start hunting down race and ship graphics - good luck there. There seems to be alot on the web.

- As far as what tools for what function, here's what I use:

-- Plan_Map for ship building / inserting DOS graphics into RESOURCE.PLN

-- Dan Gale's scenario editor

-- EDITPLN for graphics touchups

I'm sure other scenario designers can and will offer alternate approaches. Feel free to throw any questions you have my way. I'll help if I can.
Klauser

Black Knight

Post#6 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info. I'm sure I'll have lots and lots of questions and I hope I don't pester you too much with them.

If I do have a few questions, should I post them here?
Black Knight

Klauser

Post#7 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Sure, that'll work.
Klauser

Return to “Game Suggestions”