Challenge to all STB Romulans vs ?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

casebolt

Post#16 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:44 am

I would settle for anything STB right now, um Ill go with the wait for the Arena, but the early years concept has a special place for me personally.

Casebolt....

casebolt

Post#17 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:45 am

Who are the SFB folks?

B A N E

Post#18 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 am

SFB folks?
You mean Task Force Games?
Amarillo Design Bureau?
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Klauser

Post#19 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:11 pm

Casebolt,

I took a good look at the SFB module for the Early Years, and to do it right you'd have to make significant changes to most of the races involved. Also, my original statement was incorrect - I said the "big guns" for each race topped out at the Dreadnought and regular carrier classes. Not so. There were some early dreadnoughts available, but only for a few races. There were NO (count 'em - zip, nada, zero!) carriers in the early years.

I was also wrong when I said there were no Tholians or Orions. They are, but are severely undergunned. The Tholian only has the Patrol Corvette (the ship you see in the Original Series) and the Orion only has Cruiser and Light Raider.

This link, while not authoritative, gives you a good idea of the limited ships each of the races has in the Early Years:

http://www.darkshire.org/~jhkim/public_ ... early.html

So ... a truthful translation of the Early Years to VGA Planets would be problematic.

I think it would be alot easier to base a scenario off the the modified SFB lists in ARENA. Building on BANE's suggestion, sign up for Arena when Havok fires it up and take a close look at each one the five Evolution stages we use in Arena. I suspect that might be closer to what you're after.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

casebolt

Post#20 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:04 am

Thats why I like just the Three Fed, Klingon, and Romulan just seems odd to me not much intrest in the early years. Mabe if you add the Ewoks with a battlecruiser that hucks Logs and stones, then players would get into this early stuff.

tx ill take a look see.

Casebolt...

casebolt

Post#21 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:33 pm

Interesting the Romulan are warpless in the early years, I believe the Klingons turned em on with a cloaking tech exchange for warp drive.
So both the Klingons and Romulans made out bigtime. Also I never realized the Gorn fought so much with the Klingons!!! In the info I just read, it would be fitting to have a Fed/Gorn vs a Klingon/Romulan from the early years.
Dreadnoughts were so hard to destroy in SFB, They would have every weapon system/shield offline and still be able to move. Mabe a tweak with the tonage? increased by double, Haveing burned out hulks in a SFB, im not for more weapons, more BULK!!! Burning Hulks in space is what SFB is all about.

Going back before the Romulans had warp is to early for me :)

I remember the first encounter with Kirk and a Romulan Warbird one of my favorite episodes. I believe the War bird was with out Warp engines. Enterprise had to run from the Plama balls the Warbird would fire and cloak.
Well let me know when Evalution/Arena game comes up.

Casebolt...

Return to “Game Suggestions”