new games start soon... but what games!?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mika

new games start soon... but what games!?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi

As far as I can see noone else followed ][avoks :2kcylon: call to make a wishlist for new games.

My problem with new games is that I'm a bit like Dr. J & Mr. H.
The one guy just doesn't want any add ons at all (NF is nothing creative to suggest) and the other side likes some add ons but only a few.

Sphere is always nice... raceplus is boring! starbase plus is also a bit strange but I think I could give it a try. Everything else is just nothing for me. But what I really like are alternative shiplists and even modified weapons/engines.

I think the game in which I had most fun was with an alternative shiplist. I remember Q-drives (engines)... one engine had a price of 1900 MC's I think. On the other side these engines needed less fuel than the usual transwarp drives... and the classic transwarps costed only 300 as usual but were available with tech 6 bases. Something like that... same with beams and torps. The changes were very very interesting. Could the name of that mod be "pengerlist" or something?

whatever... new torps/beams/engines/ships are perfect... sphere too
so my perfect game only has these mods. Just giving vpl a new balance.

I hope I have the ressources to join if such a game will be mastered.

Cheers
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Mika

Post#2 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:22 pm

just had another idea...
a game without allies would be also nice... blank scores are also always something that makes the game more challenging.

The no ally thing might require some fair play since there are always ways to bend some rules (like attacking from two sides at once)

No ally games require some luck as well... The Empire starting betwen the Birds and the Privs could be a bit less to the Empires favour but anyway...

More ideas:
tournaments, ladders (might cause much work, can't estimate that)
or something like a superbowl/champions league/play off or something... anything that brings the top players together to have the REAL challenge.
Oderint dum metuant.

Klauser

Post#3 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:24 pm

If you're looking for some scenario action, the obvious candidates are the ones ][avok has here on site:

SDC 2006 Entries
http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-sdc2006subs.htm
- SFB: Arena
- BG: Arrow of Apollo
- The Awakening

SDC 2005 Entries
http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-sdc2005subs.htm
- The Klingon Civil War
- VGAP Chess
- Balance 2005
- Spiraling Doom
- 3D World

Other CM Scenarios at CM:
http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-scenarios.htm
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

the.Ant

Post#4 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:34 pm

For the daily game, only ad-on I really like is Sphere. It goes so far that I don't want to join games without sphere anymore, I just don't see the point.
However, AFAIK there exists a newer version of it with the ability to scan over the border, that should be used as well.

I am not a fan of alternative shiplists, but I would like a "blind" game (noscore or similar).
On the other hand, I am currently not proposing anything, because I would not be able to join if the game would actually start....
have to end other games first

Havok
Site Admin

Re: new games start soon... but what games!?

Post#5 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Mika wrote:Hi

As far as I can see noone else followed Havoks make a wishlist for new games.

My problem with new games is that I'm a bit like Dr. J & Mr. H.
The one guy just doesn't want any add ons at all (NF is nothing creative to suggest) and the other side likes some add ons but only a few.

Sphere is always nice... raceplus is boring! starbase plus is also a bit strange but I think I could give it a try. Everything else is just nothing for me. But what I really like are alternative shiplists and even modified weapons/engines.

I think the game in which I had most fun was with an alternative shiplist. I remember Q-drives (engines)... one engine had a price of 1900 MC's I think. On the other side these engines needed less fuel than the usual transwarp drives... and the classic transwarps costed only 300 as usual but were available with tech 6 bases. Something like that... same with beams and torps. The changes were very very interesting. Could the name of that mod be "pengerlist" or something?
I think those Q drives where part of the Dan & Dave Asteroids scenario. Not sure. I do remember hearing that before. Been a long time though.
Mika wrote:whatever... new torps/beams/engines/ships are perfect... sphere too so my perfect game only has these mods. Just giving vpl a new balance.

I hope I have the ressources to join if such a game will be mastered.

Cheers
Mika
Sounds like you need a PHOST game Mika... Are you ready for PHOST?
Last edited by Havok on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Mika wrote:just had another idea...
a game without allies would be also nice... blank scores are also always something that makes the game more challenging.

The no ally thing might require some fair play since there are always ways to bend some rules (like attacking from two sides at once)

No ally games require some luck as well... The Empire starting betwen the Birds and the Privs could be a bit less to the Empires favour but anyway...

More ideas:
tournaments, ladders (might cause much work, can't estimate that)
or something like a superbowl/champions league/play off or something... anything that brings the top players together to have the REAL challenge.
I am considering some sort of blind game. There seems to be a high amount of intrest for running them as well.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm

If you're looking for something a little different, here's some custom map options for you to consider ...

1) For a game with more "focus" to it, I suggest "Sphere Map".

Sphere Map is a VGA PLANETS Star Map roughly circular in shape with a radius of about 800 ly. Yes, all 500 stars are in there, but the distances between systems is about the same in the Echo Cluster, or Standard Map for VGA PLANETS. About 40-50% of the star systems double star systems, with distances of 1-3 ly apart. There are 5 triple star systems, all set about 350 ly from the center of the map.

Like many of you VGA PLANETEERS out there, while I love the game, I get tired of those endless conflicts that can rage across the Echo Cluster. The suggested victory conditions for this map are simple - any player who controls all 5 triple star systems after a deadline (say Turn 60 or 75) wins!

2) If you're ups for a little team action, I suggest checking out the "Rift Wars" Map.

RIFT WAR is a VGA PLANETS game map designed for team play. It's played on a custom-designed VGA PLANETS map with a wide empty band, or "rift" running from the southwest (1000/1000) to the northeast (3000/3000) corner. Each team starts on one side of the rift. As opposed to the standard VGA PLANETS game where it's who conquers the universe (or lasts the longest!) wins; this game is specifically designed to accommodate team play. Each team player's race must depend on his fellow teammates' races to win the game.

Both Maps are available here onsite at:
http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-maps.htm

- Sphere Map (listed as "Sphere")
- Rift Wars (listed as "Rift Quadrant")
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Mika

Post#8 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Havok wrote:I think those Q drives where part of the Dan & Dave Asteroids scenario. Not sure. I do remember hearing that before. Been a long time though.

First:
I can't remember that there was that scenario... I only remember a different shiplist and that my ally was Akseli Mäki. :)

Second:
I heard that before... but I'm sure that it was a Timhost game. At least I can't remember that I had to use those strange text commands. As you already can imagine I don't like text commands. If there would be a tool that makes using phost a bit more comfortable that might be worth a few games... but like it is now I don't play Phost at all.

But of course that doesn't mean that others have to suffer because I don't like it. (I said to myself I have to be more generous 2007 ;))
Oderint dum metuant.

Julius Atreides

Post#9 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:03 pm

I too think a blind score game would be sweet.

Maybe blind score, sphere with explore?

A no allies game sounds pretty cool too (especially if the above mixture of options ) but would require much nailing down fine points most likely.

Oh.. and I think the Klingon Civil War Klauser mentioned would rock too. Looked at it a while back and it looked very fun.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Mika wrote:
Havok wrote:I think those Q drives where part of the Dan & Dave Asteroids scenario. Not sure. I do remember hearing that before. Been a long time though.

First:
I can't remember that there was that scenario... I only remember a different shiplist and that my ally was Akseli Mäki. :)

Second:
I heard that before... but I'm sure that it was a Timhost game. At least I can't remember that I had to use those strange text commands. As you already can imagine I don't like text commands. If there would be a tool that makes using phost a bit more comfortable that might be worth a few games... but like it is now I don't play Phost at all.

But of course that doesn't mean that others have to suffer because I don't like it. (I said to myself I have to be more generous 2007 ;))
From the Asteroid Docs

Asteroid is an add-on utility for VGA Planets 3.5 that takes advantage of the AUXHOST features found in HOST 3.20. This add-on provides the capability for players to capture asteroids and tow them to planets for added mineral resources and the ability gather

Quadbenium (a new mineral) from the surface of the asteroid and use it as a super fuel.
Four new friendly codes are introduced with this program. They ARE case sensitive, the (n) represents the Asteroid # (not the ID#) and they are as follows:

IAn - Intercept Asteroid number (n)
TAn - Tow Asteroid number (n)
GQn - Gather Quadbenium from Asteroid number (n)
QJn - Quadbenium Jump (n) times ten light years (0=10)

With the added spacelane activity comes some risk. Each time an Asteroid is generated there is a chance that it might stike a planet. These Asteroids have no minds and wander blindly throughout the Echo Cluster. If they strike a planet damage will result.
Regards,
][avok

Carlos Weyland

It seems there is a consensus, of sorts

Post#11 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 pm

I agree with just about everyone.

I think a Starfleet Battles ship list in an explorer map, sphere, no allies, blank score, and no messages (yatta yatta) sounds absolutely fun.

I wouldn't even mind an extra little incentive, like in order to win the game you must have eliminated at least one race from the game….or….you must own all planets within a Hyp circle from your home world; something like that could be a good thing.

I wouldn’t even mind playing standard ship list with everything tuned off: No fed bonus, Loki detects Birds, No Chunnel, No HYP, No anything.

Of course I am a masochist, Just a thought.
One man in the right place, at the right time, can change anything...even a war.

Cherek

Post#12 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:01 pm

As far as I can see noone else followed ][avoks :2kcylon: call to make a wishlist for new games.
I'm waiting on AoA to start. I have one slot left in WinPlan that is why I haven't suggested only games, to include PHost games.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:

I'm waiting on AoA to start. I have one slot left in WinPlan that is why I haven't suggested only games, to include PHost games.
You and Shardin have your When Worlds Collide game to play too.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#14 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:05 pm

Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:

You and Shardin have your When Worlds Collide game to play too.
%$#@ I forgot about that game. #-o I guess I'll have to install WinPlan into a second directory.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#15 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Glad to hear it,
I was expecting some Excuse on your part again.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Game Suggestions”