Is it bad to join a game with the sole purpose..............

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Anybody Else guilty of this?

NO, Get over it and move on
71%
I have done it, and see nothing wrong with it
18%
I do, cause I Like to play with worthy Opponents
12%
I have no Idea, I live behind NAP and never fight anybody
No votes
Total votes: 17

Shardin5

Is it bad to join a game with the sole purpose..............

Post#1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Is it bad to Join a game with the sole purpose to seek revenge for what happened in a different game?
It has been pointed out that I have done this several times, and I was wondering what others thought, or if others do it as well? Sometimes its simple revenge, sometimes its to continue a fight we didn't finish?
M ost of the time, its because certain players make for great Adversaries
that make for a good game.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Julius Atreides

Post#2 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:34 pm

I voted no.

But that does not mean I wouldn't join a game with someone I hoped to play against.

I just wont join a game just for that purpose like revenge. I tend to take each game as a game its own. I try not to let politics, wins, losses, ect spill over, though a break of trust certainly would leave an impression.

I'm fine with having a die hard enemy in one game that I am allying with in another.

Besides... what do you do when you join a game for revenge only to find the revengee on the opposite side of the cluster with no wrap?

Shardin5

Post#3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:43 pm

Julius Atreides wrote:I voted no.

Besides... what do you do when you join a game for revenge only to find the revengee on the opposite side of the cluster with no wrap?
That is always the case too. #-o
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#4 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:27 pm

I voted "I have done it, and see nothing wrong with it" but not for the reasons most of you may think of. I join a game because; 1. I like playing Planets.; 2. A game sound intersting so I join it.;and 3. Win or lose, I have fun playing Planets.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:45 pm

I voted no as well.

I've been hell bent to take someone out before (back before I was a host). DF and I pissed off a guy so bad that he quit playing the game. Said it made his brain hurt. :) He had it coming though... He was also a sore loser at Red Alert and C&C.
Regards,
][avok

the.Ant

Post#6 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:42 pm

No here as well!

I don't see a point in it and I find it very annoying.
A player had a grudge against me because I would not accept his peace offer in one game. In another game I am in, he joins as replacement player and immediately starts attacking me. What's the point?
If a player betrays me, I won't ever trust him again, but the question of friend or foe should be a new one for every single game.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:05 pm

the.Ant wrote:No here as well!

I don't see a point in it and I find it very annoying.
A player had a grudge against me because I would not accept his peace offer in one game. In another game I am in, he joins as replacement player and immediately starts attacking me. What's the point?
If a player betrays me, I won't ever trust him again, but the question of friend or foe should be a new one for every single game.
I'll second that. If I give my world on an alliance I'll stick to it, and expect the same from the ally. If you stab me in the back, I'll never acknowlege you again other than an untrustible enemy... and I'll pass the word :firedevil:
Regards,
][avok

Samuelt86

Post#8 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:07 pm

It all depends on the circumstances.

To not trust a player in a game you are in because of a backstab is fine. I wouldn't trust a player that stabbed me in the back from a prior game. It is only natural for your mis-trust to follow you from game to game. But I wouldn't follow him.

To join games because you see he is signed up with the sole purpose of revenge is bad. I would not follow a player from game to game signing up wherever he signed up with the sole purpose of attacking him. Nobody likes to be stalked. Each game should stand alone - Get over it!

Now if you are joining for a friendly competition and the other player does not mind, then it is a matter between the two of you. Its more fun to beat those that you know. Go get em!

I love to play in games with experienced players. So if I see one with a bunch of names of persons I know to be good players, I would also like to jump in. But I jump in to win not beat up on a specific player. Well actually, I join to beat up on all the players.

So it really does depend on the circumstances. To follow a player just to tear him down is stalking. But you can never tell the true circumstances from the banter. I have learned long ago not all is as it seems when it comes to the forums.

Shardin5

Post#9 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Samuelt86 wrote:
Now if you are joining for a friendly competition and the other player does not mind, then it is a matter between the two of you. Its more fun to beat those that you know. Go get em!
NOW that is what I am talking about, the Good ol Friendly Competion
You just know the game will be good, and they will challenge you and you will be challenging them. I never meant to make anybody think of the Stalker thing, what I was talking about was, do you have Players you just KNOW will be your enemy, working with them would just be WRONG, not that it wouldn't work, just not right. HEHEHEHEHE
President Ronald Reagan

Raven2

Re: Is it bad to join a game with the sole purpose..........

Post#10 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:20 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:Is it bad to Join a game with the sole purpose to seek revenge for what happened in a different game?
Not so much bad as a waste of a potentially good game. It also depends on what you're seeking revenge for.
Some of my best allies have been players who used a particularly nasty strategy against me in previous games.
If the person backstabbed you, that's a different story. But my ultimate goal would still be to win, not revenge at any cost.
>>> Raven <<<

Catman

Post#11 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 pm

NO here as well.

It's a game. I'm not a sore loser nor a boastful winner. I am glad now that I'm finally in a few games with some of the other veterans though cuz I like sh** talking (it's just embarrassing when you put you foot in your mouth). :lol:

Often when I'm playing VGAP and there is a lot of forum chatter I reminence back to the days when we had a table full of friends playing Risk and the things we would say and do to each other. This is the same, just in digits.

As far as the Backstabber goes. The best revenge for him/her is a post in the forums and in game messages. Fortunately I have not had to travel that road, but I may also decide to track him down in a game if the opportunity presented itself.

Catman

Death's Head

Post#12 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I took the I do because I like to play with worthy opponents. I must say that I also plan to get "revenge" on the individual who stabbed me on RC World one day. I think the word revenge might be a bit harsh however because that implies someone sits and stews over the loss which really isn't true I think in my case.

How's the old saying go, "Don't get mad, get even". :lol:

I really think that if someone has beaten me they are a worthy opponent, and I don't mean that to sound like I'm bragging. I've just been around the block a few times and even though I have, I still learn something new in every game I play. Or being an old fart, I should also say that I probably remember things I knew, but tend to have forgotten after too many beers.
Death's Head (Your Worst Nightmare)

Catman

Post#13 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Death's Head wrote: Or being an old fart, I should also say that I probably remember things I knew, but tend to have forgotten after too many beers.
...and I thought I was the only one with this problem :roll:

Catman

AngryJohnny

Post#14 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:14 pm

I voted No & to get over it. It IS only a game & I would rather have fun playing the game & learning new tricks than to spend all my time trying to get even with some one.

However, if there was to be a situation where I was betrayed, & the opportunity presented it's self to take a few shots at that individuals empire, I can't say that I would pass it up - but I have never run across that situation. But under no circumstances would I seek that person out to get even.

I think the best way to deal with some one who has betryed your trust in the game is to either let it go because it's not a big deal, after all the point of the game is to take over the cluster (that is not to say that I think it's OK to back stab some one) - Or as it has been said before just don't ally up with that person again & let your fellow players know that they may be in danger if they choose to trust this person, but in this situation, I would try to refrain from making it sound like I am attacking that person, or slamming them. A simple "Hey watch out for "who ever" they back stabbed me in "game whatever", so be careful & make your desision wisely..." would be all the more I'd say.

The other thing to keep in mind about outing some one who has betrayed you in a game or accepting such information for that matter is risky, because you can't believe everything you read/hear.

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

Mika

Post#15 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:43 am

I see it like sam

there is a difference why you join a game. If you just had a really funny war going on, you lost and now you want to have a revenge with a worthy enemy that is absolutely ok. But as mentioned before that doesn't mean that you will meet that person in the game if you are too far away from each other. If you can live with that option too there is no problem for taking revenge as long as this is no obsession ;)

BUT
if you have a dispute with the person and join a game just to kill this one race that person is playing at all cost... I'd say that is wrong.

Like Death's Head I got backstabbed too... funny that this was also on RC World (nothing to do with the hosting site... just wondering if it was the same person). I didn't like the site though and never joined a game again but I still remember the name and everyone can be sure that if I see him in a game in which I play I will kill him without any warning. But I wouldn't join a game just because of that. If it happens there will be a war... that is all.

So it really depends on the player. If the player is a nice guy you can have alliances and wars and everything is fun... if the player is an ******** I simply remember that like an elephant and act like an elephant.

Last but not least... backstabbing is not ok but to have bloody wars going is what this game is designed for. And if you make yourself an enemy that way that is the best thing you can do.

You can measure the importance of a player by counting his enemies ;)

or: friendship comes and goes... but hostility remains for a lifetime :D
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Return to “Game Suggestions”