New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Koda Chrome

New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all

Post#1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 am

Hope some new games can start soon such as No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all. I read on Last Domain survy 2/3's of the votes prefered Timhost over Phost. I do too. :-)

Koda
Oh no! The dreaded web mines... We're caught!

RealMurphy

Post#2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:58 am

I prefer PHost over THost mainly because of the much better alliance possibilities. Of course, going nuts with other ship lists is also a nice thing you can do with Phost :)

Anyway, having played a lot of games with all rich, I think to prefer games with normal or even rare minerals because that adds extra salt into the games and helping quite a bit to level out the differences between races.

Mika

Post#3 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:39 am

RealMurphy wrote:I prefer PHost over THost mainly because of the much better alliance possibilities. Of course, going nuts with other ship lists is also a nice thing you can do with Phost :)

Anyway, having played a lot of games with all rich, I think to prefer games with normal or even rare minerals because that adds extra salt into the games and helping quite a bit to level out the differences between races.
generally yes
the only "bad" thing about rare mineral games is that the starting position can decide the game more likely. Playing with rare minerals it is possible for any carrier race to have the luck to find a good bovinoid planet close to the HW. If THAT happens you can be sure that they have around 10 big carriers at least when the shiplimit is reached.

In general yes, the race advantages become more important and it might be interesting. But the disadvantage is that a good Bovo planet can unbalance the game like nothing else.
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

RealMurphy

Post#4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:03 am

Too right... I fear my break from VGAP was too long, but I'm learning again :)

That would mean, no natives and normal minerals, but this would be bad for the Feds making them much weaker...

Anyway, there are just too many knobs to turn to make the game optimal for everyone ;)

Shardin5

Re: New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich

Post#5 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am

Koda Chrome wrote:Hope some new games can start soon such as No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all. I read on Last Domain survy 2/3's of the votes prefered Timhost over Phost. I do too. :-)

Koda
The majority of those that vote for Timhost over PHOST, do for 2 reasons,
1 They haven't played in a phost game and taken advantage of its features.
2 They are to set in there ways and reqire no changes to HOE, lack of imagination types.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

B A N E

Post#6 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:45 am

Enemy#1 wrote:
Koda Chrome wrote:Hope some new games can start soon such as No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all. I read on Last Domain survy 2/3's of the votes prefered Timhost over Phost. I do too. :-)

Koda
The majority of those that vote for Timhost over PHOST, do for 2 reasons,
2 They are to set in there ways and reqire no changes to HOE, lack of imagination types.
Some would call the #2's perfectionistic purists...or perhaps
religious zealots? You pick.

Back in the 90s when I was VGAP gaming all the time, I didn't play
phost due to having learned the ins & outs, ups & downs of Thost
A lot of the methods/tactics employed were heavily HOE related.
At the same time, I and those I regularly teamed with did not use
addons either.

Now that I'm grizzled and forgetful, and the information is now about
the same to acquire with regards to HOE /PHOE, it makes little diff to
me which host I play.

They're both VGAP but they are different flavors.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:01 am

Enemy#1 wrote:The majority of those that vote for Timhost over PHOST, do for 2 reasons,
You forgot the third reason.
3. They tried to play PHost like they were playing THost (in another words, they didn't read the Docs).
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#8 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:03 am

HMMM, Little more to the point, I left it at they didnt' use the features.
:twisted:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#9 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 am

Enemy#1 wrote:HMMM, Little more to the point, I left it at they didnt' use the features. :twisted:
I do that from time to time. :twisted:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#10 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:08 pm

I play both and find myself getting confused sometimes, rarely. Thus causing me to make stupid mistakes. :roll: For example, using a PHost command in a THost game or vice versa.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

Cherek

Post#11 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:14 pm

If I had my way, most, not all of my games would be PHost games. Catman, I know what you mean by getting the commands or the host order mixed up. :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:If I had my way, most, not all of my games would be PHost games. Catman, I know what you mean by getting the commands or the host order mixed up. :roll:
Fortunate for me that it never happens while I'm sober :lol:
:Glass:

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 pm

When I first started to make the No Frills games I tended to make more Rich games than I do now.

I don't mind giving everyone a rich HW and stuff to start you off, but all the rich planets it's not so hot an idea IMOP.

I prefer normal with small meteor showers these days.
Last edited by Havok on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#14 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:20 pm

If you like big battles with lots of big ships, extra rich is the way to go.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Rimstalker

Post#15 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 am

ahh, phost vs thost.

In Phost, I have played

-a fully blind game
-two 'expert' games. One organised by Vagabound (the guys that make the Plists), the other one with people like Stefan Glasauer (author of Echoview) in it.
-a 'young padawan and his Yedi master' game, me being one of the masters
-a scenario game at Deltaforce (Thomas Klebes' site), where I whooped the self-declared master of Xtals arse badly being privateers. That one also had Stefan Reuther in it...
various others, including a 1vs1 duel game I just won.

Up until not very long ago, the documenation for Phost was a lot inferior to what could be found at Donovan's. For instance, nowhere it was stated that in Phost ships without beams can not scoop up minefields.

In my ten-year career of planets, it has happend to me like three or four times that people broke treaties they had with me. In the one Phost game where I was kicking Stefan Glasauer's butt he actually talked TWO of my neighbouring races into attacking me, even though i had NAPs and borders set up with them. Crystals, Lizard and Privateer going after the Rebels - quite the honorable thing, I'd say.

Privateers are beyond crippled in Plist and Phost, where individual ships can beam up specific amounts of fuel, plus the alternative towing rules that are mostly active.

All this command line bullshit for alliances, battlesims and addons. YUCK!

I have never seen games of planets more broken as ones played with phost. I remember one I saw close to turn 300, where max minefield radius was set to 500 lys.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Return to “Game Suggestions”