New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#31 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 pm

I always want to look a the pconfig.scr in PHost games before I join it for the exact reasons you and Rimstalker have stated, just like you wouldn't join a Thost game that said "THost 3.22.47 and some Add-ons" would you? I think you would want to know what add-ons are used, just like you should know what switches have been changed. If a host changes the default settings and you don't look at the pconfig.scr, who fault is that?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Re: New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich

Post#32 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Koda Chrome wrote:Like Rimstalker, I have experience with both Phost and Thost, as do many others. Phost offers some good ships but some of the switches are a bummer. I just prefer Tims host in most cases.

For instance, the minelaying races are nerfed IMHO. I play Cylons in a Phost game and love my ships but had to watch Orion slowly cruise a ship SAFELY through my minfields at warp 2 and sweep mines every other turn. If someone enters a mine field to sweep they should risk a mine hit, not just move in safely.

I did enjoy the end the Orion ship though. hehe. He thought he was out of the minefield and floored it at warp 9.... just as a NEW minfield blossomed in his path from a cloaked ship he lost to me earlier. Damage 100% ha! :-) It is the little things in life that make it so sweet...

From the Orions view I bet he hated the Phost rule that says deathrays do not work against planets. He tried to take my planet (with one xray) with his Dreadful class transport and disrupters. Hehe. He gave me a great cloaking minelayer instead. Revenge, the dish that is best served cold!

Most ships in the plist are greatly improved. The legendary LLC was nerfed though. sniff.

Just a few examples from Phost.

There should continue to be VGAP games for both hosts of course but I doubt the majority prefer Timhost for just these 2 reasons, IMHO.

Perhaps we should do some polls here? :-)

Kodachrome

Enemy#1 wrote:
Koda Chrome wrote:Hope some new games can start soon such as No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all. I read on Last Domain survy 2/3's of the votes prefered Timhost over Phost. I do too. :-)

Koda
The majority of those that vote for Timhost over PHOST, do for 2 reasons,
1 They haven't played in a phost game and taken advantage of its features.
2 They are to set in there ways and reqire no changes to HOE, lack of imagination types.
Somewhere you lost me. I think you are talking about 2 different things...PHost and PList. They don't necessarily go hand-in-hand together. I'm pretty sure I'm playing PHost games with Tim's shiplist. I dislike the PLists simply because I'm not used to them :lol:

What you say about the ships and weapons are what have me lost.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

Cherek

Post#33 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Catman wrote:Somewhere you lost me. I think you are talking about 2 different things...PHost and PList. They don't necessarily go hand-in-hand together. I'm pretty sure I'm playing PHost games with Tim's shiplist. I dislike the PLists simply because I'm not used to them :lol:

Catman
As I have said before "I CAN'T STAND PLIST!" and I agree with you Catman, a lot of people think that PHost and PList are the samething or that PHost can only be played using PList (and their thinking is WRONG on both accounts). I'm not not even going to discuss PLIST.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Rimstalker

Post#34 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 pm

in phost planets can (and will) capture ships. Not the big high-tech ones, but I have gotten hold of a ruby that way once...

If you are not going for plist or some wacko scenario I see no big reason to go for Phost at all. Sure, people all praise remote control, but I do actually enjoy the interaction (and the occasional blunder) with my allies. Never played a game with remote control and probably never will.

Some of the queue settings in phost are very tricksy and sooooooo prone to abuse it is not funny anymore. The experience system of phost 4 can probably also be abused, but I have not yet looked into that.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Catman

Post#35 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Rimstalker wrote:in phost planets can (and will) capture ships. Not the big high-tech ones, but I have gotten hold of a ruby that way once...
Yes, I have had planets capture ships, but I think he was saying also that ships with kill beams can't kill planets. I wasn't aware of this. If it is true, then I'm not signing up for any more PHost games.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

Rimstalker

Post#36 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:53 pm

I would be really astonished, if they did not do any damage at all. But in phost and thost the explosive damage makes stuff go 'boom' - the kill damage just kills crew, nothing else.

What saves your skin in thost mostly is that thost does not know its decimals. One shot from a beam will always do at least 1 % of damage (assuming its explosvie value is not 0) - in phost a low damage weapon against a halfway decent target will only do a fraction of a percent of damage.

Cherek

Post#37 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:03 pm

Rimstalker wrote:Some of the queue settings in phost are very tricksy and sooooooo prone to abuse it is not funny anymore. The experience system of phost 4 can probably also be abused, but I have not yet looked into that.
Tricksy?? Go check out THost queue.

BTW, Are all of you aware that there is a PHost discussion area? Lets move this discussion to there (if you dare) and leave this forum for game suggestions.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Rimstalker

Post#38 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:27 pm

yes, tricksy. Once you got your Pal Boost and your Pal Aging going and a fifo-queue plus priority points it is very important when to fight and especially what...

Shardin5

Post#39 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:04 pm

I do not Care, and I have tried them the PLIST ship list. I have only played in 2 phost games that didn't use a Tim Shiplist, much prefer it.
I think Tim shiplist could use some work, but PLIST is a LITTLE OUT THERE, but a good idea.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Koda Chrome

Post#40 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:36 am

Here is the Phost rule I found, the last part is about DeathRay vs planets:
(v4.0k:) Units will not attack each other if they have no offensive potential against their opponent. This rule applies in two cases: (a) Two freighters will never attack each other, nor will ships without ammunition and beams. (b) A ship will not attack an unarmed planet if it has only death rays. Death rays are ineffective against planets.

I had 37 clans and just one or 2 xrays. He got my little fighter right off. He had 6 Disrupters, no torps in his hold. ha. My planet never got below 100% never lost one clan. His crew of 364 slowly got xrayed to death after about 300+ zaps. I captured the ship with no damage to it or my planet. Somehow I doubt that would happen with Timhost.

Still, Phost as its good points in some ways. :)

Koda

Somewhere you lost me. I think you are talking about 2 different things...PHost and PList. They don't necessarily go hand-in-hand together. I'm pretty sure I'm playing PHost games with Tim's shiplist. I dislike the PLists simply because I'm not used to them :lol:

Catman
Oh no! The dreaded web mines... We're caught!

Catman

Post#41 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 am

Koda Chrome wrote:Here is the Phost rule I found, the last part is about DeathRay vs planets:
(v4.0k:) Units will not attack each other if they have no offensive potential against their opponent. This rule applies in two cases: (a) Two freighters will never attack each other, nor will ships without ammunition and beams. (b) A ship will not attack an unarmed planet if it has only death rays. Death rays are ineffective against planets.

I had 37 clans and just one or 2 xrays. He got my little fighter right off. He had 6 Disrupters, no torps in his hold. ha. My planet never got below 100% never lost one clan. His crew of 364 slowly got xrayed to death after about 300+ zaps. I captured the ship with no damage to it or my planet. Somehow I doubt that would happen with Timhost.

Still, Phost as its good points in some ways. :)

Koda

Catman
Good post! I never knew this...I'd like to hear confirmation from someone else as well.

The rule does make sense.

Catman
-Groucho Marx

Return to “Game Suggestions”