New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Shardin5

Post#16 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 am

The online doc's, for PHOST NOW are great, I know for all you old guys out there the Doc's were less than perfect, early on. As for the Command line commands, alliances can be setup in EchoView, with alot more control for both full and limited alliances, but the give planet and other things, copy paste, and insert the races. For battles I use PCC II PlayVCR, it will work for both Thost and Phost games, allows you to watch all VCR's for your race or you allies, cleaner interface and FASTER, than winplan. I have only been playing since 2002, 1 year before host.47 came out :twisted: , I have seen more game in Thost fail or not run a addon more than PHOST has.
Wont even go into remote commands, of your allies ships.
As for Breaking alliances, that can happen in any game, thost or phost.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

B A N E

Post#17 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am

Rich universe?
The *normal mineral density* universe is too rich IMO.

:twisted:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#18 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:52 am

Rimstalker wrote:Privateers are beyond crippled in Plist and Phost, where individual ships can beam up specific amounts of fuel, plus the alternative towing rules that are mostly active.
I hate the PList ship list (light, standard and heavy) period! I agree about the Privateers, but they were never intended or should be consider to be a powerhouse base on their ships alone.[/quote]
Rimstalker wrote:All this command line bullshit for alliances, battlesims and addons. YUCK!
setting up PHost for the host can be real pain in the arse. It isn't problem for WinPlan users, since WinPlan doesn't require any special command or modifications. I can't anything about any of the client software since I've never used them.
Rimstalker wrote:I have never seen games of planets more broken as ones played with phost. I remember one I saw close to turn 300, where max minefield radius was set to 500 lys.
Sounds like someone had made some modification during setup. The more modifications you make, the more you unbalance the game. I perfer mostily the default settings. About the only changes I like changed are the number of minefields changed from 500 to 10000 and a few of the other one (I like minefields).

As far as it lasting 300 turns, SO WHAT. :roll: There are two THost game here that are over 100 turns. I can't speak for Alpha Quadrant but No Frills VII is no where near the end.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#19 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:24 pm

The alliance part, is easy, copy paste and change the Races numbers, or with EchoView, it will see its a PHOST game and click all or just the parts you want to ally. Not to mention HOW much more Powerful Alliances are.
I HATE command line myself, but I still do a lot of Unix support and nothing beats command line, so it doesn't bother me as much.
If it wasn't for PlayVCR program, to watch the battles though, I wouldn't play a PHOST game.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#20 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:If it wasn't for PlayVCR program, to watch the battles though, I wouldn't play a PHOST game.
So, are you saying that if it wasn't wasn't PlayVCR, you wouldn't play PHost? It seems like a lame reason to play PHost, but at least you play it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#21 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:52 pm

No, its not the reason, but without PlayVCR, playing PHOST would be to frustrating. I like the simple life for playing.
President Ronald Reagan

Rimstalker

Post#22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm

yeah, than wait until your client shows you a hyperjumping distance of 359.xx LYs, which would end you up at the planet or safely inside the warpwell only to open your phost hosted rst and find your precious ship in deep space, 350 lys from where it took off....
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Cherek

Post#23 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Rimstalker wrote:yeah, than wait until your client shows you a hyperjumping distance of 359.xx LYs, which would end you up at the planet or safely inside the warpwell only to open your phost hosted rst and find your precious ship in deep space, 350 lys from where it took off....
hmmmm, I haven't had that problem, when I've HYPed I've landed where I wanted to, but then again, I don't do too much HYPing in PHost or THost.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#24 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Rimstalker wrote:yeah, than wait until your client shows you a hyperjumping distance of 359.xx LYs, which would end you up at the planet or safely inside the warpwell only to open your phost hosted rst and find your precious ship in deep space, 350 lys from where it took off....
That can happen in either host, as if you jump to far or to short, you default back to 350lyrs, Tim math is NOT what it should be.
What is worse, is in Thost, your client software shows two ships laying sperate webs, yet when you get your RST back, Tim math has kicked in and ship b was just inside the other web and instead of having 2 overlapping webs, you now have 1 big one, phost handles that MUCH better and more Accurately.
President Ronald Reagan

Rimstalker

Post#25 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:39 pm

you guys are not getting my point.

In Thost it is like this: Winplan shows the exact distance that host will use for the jump. If your winplan shows a waypoint of 359.99 lys, you will do that jump, doing exactly 359.99 lys.

In Phost, winplan shows you 359.8x or .9x, but phost is calculating the dinstances differently and ends up with 360.xx lys for that jump and thus jumps you exactly 350 lys. Has happened to me in a real game.

For minelaying in thost there is exactly ONE rule when it comes to adding versus creating: If you are in the minefield with the center closest to you, you will add to it. If you are not within that minefield (does not matter if you are within 200 others) you will create a new minefield, as long as the minefield limit has not been reached.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Shardin5

Post#26 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:02 pm

I have had Thost screw up HYP jumps, heck Ask Proteus all about that, he was a hyping fool in one game, and thost screwed him over a few times.

My example of webs just happend, and happens far to often in Thost.
2 ships 55lyrs or so apart, both laying webs, play with the md, to make sure that they would lay seperate webs, nice cloaked ships, echoview showed it would work, and then Tim math kicked in and shipa's MF was just large enough to cover shipb, so when shipb layed its web, instead of 2 seperate webs covering 4 ships, I had 1 large web, NO GOOD at all, and a bigger issue than trying to do a 359.99lyr jump.

I am getting it, math in the game doesn't always compute, we can both list a ton of MATH issues for BOTH hosting programs.
President Ronald Reagan

B A N E

Post#27 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm

The solution would be a client program that recognized the host type and
host version and then it adjusted its' computations based upon the code
from the specific host type.

Dreeeeeeeeeeam... dream dream dream

While I'm dreaming, I want the client to clean the windows and
wax the floors!
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#28 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:08 pm

B A N E wrote:The solution would be a client program that recognized the host type and
That would come after a DOSPlan version of AoA and maybe a reworked FHost type program right?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#29 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
B A N E wrote:The solution would be a client program that recognized the host type and
That would come after a DOSPlan version of AoA and maybe a reworked FHost type program right?
I am working on one of those, and it has nothing to do with DOS
President Ronald Reagan

Koda Chrome

Re: New game suggestion: No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich

Post#30 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Like Rimstalker, I have experience with both Phost and Thost, as do many others. Phost offers some good ships but some of the switches are a bummer. I just prefer Tims host in most cases.

For instance, the minelaying races are nerfed IMHO. I play Cylons in a Phost game and love my ships but had to watch Orion slowly cruise a ship SAFELY through my minfields at warp 2 and sweep mines every other turn. If someone enters a mine field to sweep they should risk a mine hit, not just move in safely.

I did enjoy the end the Orion ship though. hehe. He thought he was out of the minefield and floored it at warp 9.... just as a NEW minfield blossomed in his path from a cloaked ship he lost to me earlier. Damage 100% ha! :-) It is the little things in life that make it so sweet...

From the Orions view I bet he hated the Phost rule that says deathrays do not work against planets. He tried to take my planet (with one xray) with his Dreadful class transport and disrupters. Hehe. He gave me a great cloaking minelayer instead. Revenge, the dish that is best served cold!

Most ships in the plist are greatly improved. The legendary LLC was nerfed though. sniff.

Just a few examples from Phost.

There should continue to be VGAP games for both hosts of course but I doubt the majority prefer Timhost for just these 2 reasons, IMHO.

Perhaps we should do some polls here? :-)

Kodachrome

Enemy#1 wrote:
Koda Chrome wrote:Hope some new games can start soon such as No Frills Timhost, no add ons, rich all. I read on Last Domain survy 2/3's of the votes prefered Timhost over Phost. I do too. :-)

Koda
The majority of those that vote for Timhost over PHOST, do for 2 reasons,
1 They haven't played in a phost game and taken advantage of its features.
2 They are to set in there ways and reqire no changes to HOE, lack of imagination types.
Oh no! The dreaded web mines... We're caught!

Return to “Game Suggestions”