VPNews replacement addon

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

VPNews replacement addon

Post#1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:56 pm

From:
viewtopic.php?p=19761#19761
warpedboard wrote: Aha, the topic is not run into the ground quite yet! I agree that in its current state, the VPNews addon seems to give a bit too much info out, especially for some races... but I think it's an interesting idea, and therefore might be convinced to try my own hand at coding something similar, only with input from the forums as to what exactly it should do, what kind of options, etc.
So, discuss!
The idea of a *news agency* that publicizes events within the cluster
has a certain appeal and allows game watchers to get a feel for a game.

So, let's discuss:
What would be good, bad, wishlist etc...
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: VPNews replacement addon

Post#2 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:22 pm

B A N E wrote:From:
viewtopic.php?p=19761#19761
warpedboard wrote: Aha, the topic is not run into the ground quite yet! I agree that in its current state, the VPNews addon seems to give a bit too much info out, especially for some races... but I think it's an interesting idea, and therefore might be convinced to try my own hand at coding something similar, only with input from the forums as to what exactly it should do, what kind of options, etc.
So, discuss!
The idea of a *news agency* that publicizes events within the cluster
has a certain appeal and allows game watchers to get a feel for a game.

So, let's discuss:
What would be good, bad, wishlist etc...

Obviously the program if created would need to be configurable with either command line switches or separate config program.

The way it reports would then be configurable by the host, and you could say things like "The Robotic Imperium now has 100 planets" or even possibly create messages that are as detailed, or minimal as possible.

Here's 2 examples.

1st one is lots of information:

Golem Class Robotic Ship "Baltar" ID # 25
engaged and destroyed the Nebula Class
Federation Ship "Kirk is Cheesy" ID # 55
at (2111 , 2779).


2nd is minimal information:

Federstaion Ship "Kirk is Cheesy" was destroyed at (2111,2779).

3rd has the least info:

Ship Explosion detected at (2111, 2779)

or the standard in game -

Distress Call & Explosion at (2111,2779)
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#3 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 pm

How about one that would report externally only ship explosions? Isn't that what most of us who are not in game is really interested in anyway, since we can't see the VCRs. How many times has someone said "More details!" or "What happened?".
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#4 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:18 pm

Configurable Disclosure Level:

Ship vs Ship results are reported:
Ship Name
Ship Type
Ship Race
Ship Weapon Array
Location
Results:
Ship destroyed by Ship
Ship captured by Ship
Ship towcaptured by Ship
Ship robbed by Ship

Ship vs Planet/Base results are reported:
Ship Name
Ship Type
Ship Race
Ship Weapon Array
Planet Name
Planet or Base
Results:
Ship captured planet
Ship destroyed base
Planet destroyed ship
Base destroyed ship
Special military mission results:
Superspy Deluxe, RGA, Pillage and Imperial Assault
Ground Combat results

Mine field interactions:
Ship strikes mine
Ship strikes mine(s) and is destroyed
Ship strikes web
Ship strikes web and is losing fuel.
Ship is within web(s) and is out of fuel.
Ship strikes web(s) and is destroyed.

Ions and Large Meteors
Ship caught in storm
Ship damaged by storm
Large Meteor damage results to Planet struck

Alliances:
Race allied at ff with Race
Race allied at FF with Race

Add to list what I've missed.
Last edited by B A N E on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#5 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Now I thought that the ship vs planet/Starbase report was what most of the players objected to about the VPNews.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#6 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm not suggesting right now, I'm listing all the newsworthy events
and listing them as configurable.

Brainstorming...
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea myself. I’m one of the first ones who says “So what happened?” and “Give me some details!”

I don’t know if I’d include the alliance information. Having alliances hidden have their advantages.

From what I gathered from the dissussion ealier, some players will object to any information other than the "Distress Call" because it is releasing too much information.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#8 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm

B A N E wrote:Configurable Disclosure Level:

Ship vs Ship results are reported:
Ship Name
Ship Type
Ship Race
Ship Weapon Array
Location
Results:
Ship destroyed by Ship
Ship captured by Ship
Ship towcaptured by Ship
Ship robbed by Ship

Ship vs Planet/Base results are reported:
Ship Name
Ship Type
Ship Race
Ship Weapon Array
Planet Name
Planet or Base
Results:
Ship captured planet
Ship destroyed base
Planet destroyed ship
Base destroyed ship
Special military mission results:
Superspy Deluxe, RGA, Pillage and Imperial Assault
Ground Combat results

Mine field interactions:
Ship strikes mine
Ship strikes mine(s) and is destroyed
Ship strikes web
Ship strikes web and is losing fuel.
Ship is within web(s) and is out of fuel.
Ship strikes web(s) and is destroyed.

Ions and Large Meteors
Ship caught in storm
Ship damaged by storm
Large Meteor damage results to Planet struck

Alliances:
Race allied at ff with Race
Race allied at FF with Race

Add to list what I've missed.
I would suggest looking at some of the news items that are listed in some of the other games like Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations (so and so has the largest empire) and things like that.

Our game doesn't have a research tech tree, so discovery wouldn't be an option... But maybe if you find a derlict or something from an addon.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#9 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm

My thoughts on the alliance issue and why it occurred to me.

It was well known in WW1 and WW2 who was allied and in the
current day, it's known what's going on with which governments.

Another reason was Havok's comment about the super alliances
and the gang tackling.

IF the alliances are broadcast and there happens to be a super
alliance, the rest of the players in the game will know about it
instead of getting gang tackled one by one.

I'm listing "newsworthy/reportable" events and then leave them
configurable by Host.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#10 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Hmmmm, on second thought, broadcasting alliances is a good idea. :D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:44 pm

Regarding alliances:

Something that might be useful is a configureable alliance limit.

Say: Alliance of 2 would not get reported.
Say: Alliance of 3 would have a 50% chance of being reported
Say: Aliance of 4 would have a 75% chance of being reported
Say: Alliance of 5 would have 100% chance of being reported

Afterall, reporters have to earn their living by snooping!

Another possible would be after TurnX alliances are public.
Or a combo of the two, After TurnX there is an increasing
chance of exposure relative to the # of members in alliance.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#12 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Hmmmm, on second thought, broadcasting alliances is a good idea. :D
How about Alliances news when 1 race is allied to more than just 1 race.
BorderPatrol and a NF(?) games come to mind. My only Ally in BP is the Gorn, nobody new about that until last turn(NAP's with 2 other races). I would have hated for everybody to know my only ally in the game was the Gorn on turn11. Or a NF's game where Cherek and Proteus, played a great game with a hidden alliance for a LONG TIME. Maybe a trigger when a Race has more than 1 alliance going on, Echo News flash 3 to 4 players working in a alliance. Would keep the Mega alliances down, and would also keep some of them from forming. I think also News shouldn't start until turn 25-35 or something like that. Keep some of the Smaller races from telegraphing there location to the entire cluster early. Birds and Pirates don't need anybody but there selected Targets knowing they are there. Last thing a Pirate needs is to see is a broadcast about him stealing a ship or losing a sacrifial lamb, cause the closest none involved players will BAM MF's all over the place early in the game. I do love the idea, just need to work on the Triggers and when it starts to broadcast out info.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#13 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 pm

B A N E wrote:My thoughts on the alliance issue and why it occurred to me.

It was well known in WW1 and WW2 who was allied and in the
current day, it's known what's going on with which governments.

Another reason was Havok's comment about the super alliances
and the gang tackling.

IF the alliances are broadcast and there happens to be a super
alliance, the rest of the players in the game will know about it
instead of getting gang tackled one by one.

I'm listing "newsworthy/reportable" events and then leave them
configurable by Host.
One Ally will solve that :)
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#14 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:55 pm

B A N E wrote:Regarding alliances:

Something that might be useful is a configureable alliance limit.

Say: Alliance of 2 would not get reported.
Say: Alliance of 3 would have a 50% chance of being reported
Say: Aliance of 4 would have a 75% chance of being reported
Say: Alliance of 5 would have 100% chance of being reported

Afterall, reporters have to earn their living by snooping!

Another possible would be after TurnX alliances are public.
Or a combo of the two, After TurnX there is an increasing
chance of exposure relative to the # of members in alliance.
Nosey reporters... I like that...

Here's an idea... Once the Que is full (or near full) there could be a percentage that a "nosey investigative reporter" would report the construction of a ship at some random players starbase.

For Example:

CNN <-- (configurable name) reports that the Fascists have a Darkwing Battlecruiser under construction at Krono's.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#15 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:59 pm

What about embedded reporters?
The News Agency pays governments to allow them to bring reporters.
On planets: $X
On ships: $Y
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron