VPNews replacement addon

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#16 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:18 pm

B A N E wrote:Regarding alliances:

Something that might be useful is a configureable alliance limit.

Say: Alliance of 2 would not get reported.
Say: Alliance of 3 would have a 50% chance of being reported
Say: Aliance of 4 would have a 75% chance of being reported
Say: Alliance of 5 would have 100% chance of being reported

Afterall, reporters have to earn their living by snooping!

Another possible would be after TurnX alliances are public.
Or a combo of the two, After TurnX there is an increasing
chance of exposure relative to the # of members in alliance.
How are you thinking of calculating it, every turn that an alliance of 3 or more exist or just when an alliance is formed?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Nfredible

Post#17 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:20 am

Wow, if not a new mod, almost a new modern adaptation of VGAP with the latest issues of the war being broadcast. It could be random instead of consistent and all encompassing just like the real news. Sometimes aiding one side, other times completely dissembling an empire with unintended subterfuge by the media. Although naught but a toddler in my dealings in the Cluster, it really would bring an interesting bent to the game.

Other things that would be "newcast worthy" could be if more than X number of a particular races planets/ships are captured or destroyed to the point where it is obviosuly an event then ..."and in other Cluster News, the Robots are greiving heavy losses at the capture of 5 planets by the Feds..."

Now all we need is a way to plant spies in other camps that can actually move freely among the enemy undetected (not just cloaked ships).

Interesting...
Nfred
Argue not with the dragon for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup

B A N E

Post#18 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:57 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: How are you thinking of calculating it, every turn that an alliance of 3 or more exist or just when an alliance is formed?
My first thought is a straight % chance to be exposed each turn.
It would make exposing such alliances inevitable.

Everyone knew the Axis and Allied nations identies.

Another thing perhaps to consider would be defining neutral races.
(ala Switzerland)

If Alliance A and B are fighting, knowing that Race C is neutral might
make them a target of "wooing" to tip the balance.

Nfredible,
I'm musing on the idea of how to make global empire losses/gains
a news event. I like your idea.

If Race X loses/gains Y% of planets in their empire, % chance of public
response to event in the news broadcast.

To make it more interesting, both events could happen in the same
turn.

Say Lizards are ground pounding the Empire and Empire is using SSDs
to Imperial Assault Fed worlds.

In Turn X, Lizards take 5 of 50 worlds from the Empire.
10% loss of planets causes outcry/mourning.
In Turn X, Empire takes 5 of 50 worlds from Feds via Imp.Assault.
10% gain of planets causes patriotic response.
Same turn, no numeric change on the score board, but a significant
change in the grand scheme of things for the EE.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#19 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:27 am

What would be really nice is if there was a way to view the VCRs. In Alpha Quandrant, there appears to have been a really great battle between FLETCH and someone that I'd love to see.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

planetmaker

Post#20 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:What would be really nice is if there was a way to view the VCRs. In Alpha Quandrant, there appears to have been a really great battle between FLETCH and someone that I'd love to see.
Please consider that the VCRs give away much of how a fleet is composed. I wouldn't want MY VCRs being broadcasted - of course, I crave to see the VCRs of battles where I up to now only see explosions... :)

Cherek

Post#21 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:49 am

planetmaker wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:What would be really nice is if there was a way to view the VCRs. In Alpha Quandrant, there appears to have been a really great battle between FLETCH and someone that I'd love to see.
Please consider that the VCRs give away much of how a fleet is composed. I wouldn't want MY VCRs being broadcasted - of course, I crave to see the VCRs of battles where I up to now only see explosions... :)
When some describes a turn where there is fighting as “ :omg: ........IT WAS AWESOME........ :jawdrop: , I have to wonder what I missed.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Nfredible

Post#22 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:00 pm

B A N E wrote: My first thought is a straight % chance to be exposed each turn.
It would make exposing such alliances inevitable.

Nfredible,
I'm musing on the idea of how to make global empire losses/gains
a news event. I like your idea.
Cool.. thanks.

Question then, if you can take all that into consideration, would it be possible to have another set of variables that can take the cloak into consideration? I mean if it's a massive attack by cloaked races that normally wouldn't be seen, what's to say that it couldn't be written as "mysterious attacks" or "swift and stealthy death of ship XY, and these coordinates." Never unnecessarily exposing WHICH cloaked race did it, just intimating that it happened at all.

To be honest, it interests me more that people are still looking to write mods for the game. And with sites like CM giving a forum for possible growth, it'd seem a waste. Not to give a dissertation, but, issues like what came up wtih AT expiring, and old but fantastic mods that can't be supported because you can't register them anymore spells disaster for VGAP as a community. I haven't got the first lick of programming experience or skill, so it falls on the shoulders of the few but capable out there. But it doesn't mean I can't hope for new goodies to show up!!

HEHE...

I hope to see it work!!
Nfred'
Argue not with the dragon for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup

Return to “Game Suggestions”