One on One Games

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

One on One Games

Post#1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Here is an idea.

Instead of engaging in quite so much smack talking shit, how about Host sets up a default 'challenge' game, where the configs are always the same (to reduce workload for host).

Could be a 200 planet map, no frills, etc etc. How races are selected remains the same. i.e. the one challenging, has second selection. Maybe eliminate pirates (or maybe not).

The reason for having a basic STANDARD template, is that there is not lots of chat before hand, you just get INTO it.

what do ya reckon - any interest?

Havok
Site Admin

Re: One on One Games

Post#2 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Cardno wrote:Here is an idea.

Instead of engaging in quite so much smack talking shit, how about Host sets up a default 'challenge' game, where the configs are always the same (to reduce workload for host).

Could be a 200 planet map, no frills, etc etc. How races are selected remains the same. i.e. the one challenging, has second selection. Maybe eliminate pirates (or maybe not).

The reason for having a basic STANDARD template, is that there is not lots of chat before hand, you just get INTO it.

I have no problem with custom games and will setup a 1 x 1 game if there are interested parties.
Regards,
][avok

Logain

Post#3 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Sounds like fun. At least it will after we finish AQ someday... That one is sure to go well past 200 turns! :shock:

anubis

Re: One on One Games

Post#4 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Cardno wrote:Here is an idea.

I had a challenge game going with a former player here. Was going well until he quit VGAP for WoW. Best is to give each side 2 or 3 races (we went 3) and then do an alternating pick (we went 1-2-2-1-1-2).

Maps and mods and the like are optional. Oh, and ditch the privs and probably the borg.

Oh and Logain?

After AQ, I would love to kick your ass across the cluster...Oh, I mean, honorably challenge my ally to a simulated game :lol:

Logain

Post#5 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 am

That sounds like a challenge... Does that mean I get to pick first? :D

RealMurphy

Post#6 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:35 am

Another thought on this:

If the universe was sufficiently small, say 100-150 planets at most, start of with a few extra rich planets nearby the first base and normal planets everywhere else and make a game limit of say 50 to 60 turns, one would have very fast paced games. Another possibility would be a RL time limit of say 15-20 weeks.

With this, you can build a championship or a ranking, where one can challenge (slightly) higher ranked players to gain their position.

Of course there are many details to be thought of, especially when it comes to race choice but my guess would be that this could be very interesting. Especially when using phost and both players can have the very same races :)

well, that's just a thought

Cardno

Post#7 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:43 am

RealMurphy wrote:Another thought on this:

If the universe was sufficiently small, say 100-150 planets at most, start of with a few extra rich planets nearby the first base and normal planets everywhere else and make a game limit of say 50 to 60 turns, one would have very fast paced games. Another possibility would be a RL time limit of say 15-20 weeks.

With this, you can build a championship or a ranking, where one can challenge (slightly) higher ranked players to gain their position.

Of course there are many details to be thought of, especially when it comes to race choice but my guess would be that this could be very interesting. Especially when using phost and both players can have the very same races :)

well, that's just a thought
I like your thinking.....

B A N E

Post#8 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 am

Just a thought...

A four quadrant map with Phost can be easily used for 1v1 scenarios.

With Phost, you can be any race you want and it would not be hard
to force on the master side to have

Player A versus Player B
C v D
E v F
G v H

Each player starts in their own quadrant with only one opponent.
Honor rule no attacking the other quads. Voids would make it obvious.

4 such matches could take place within the same game.

An advantage of this particular setup is that with eight players,
there wouldn't be the problem of trying to manage:
250 or more ships.
250 or more planets.
250 or more bases.

~125 planets to fight over and when your fight is done, it's done.

With roughly ~63 slots per player, the battlefield would not get
very tedious.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

RealMurphy

Post#9 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

However, this would inflict issues when hitting the mine filed and or ship limits...

I think a big number of 1on1 games would be nicer because if you have two fast players such a game might finish within a few weeks. If you have games with 8 players in each just one lazy player will stall the games.

I would vote for more work for the host and would suggest trying to take work load away from ][avok if it grows out of bounds.

anubis

Post#10 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:54 am

RealMurphy wrote:However, this would inflict issues when hitting the mine filed and or ship limits...

I think a big number of 1on1 games would be nicer because if you have two fast players such a game might finish within a few weeks. If you have games with 8 players in each just one lazy player will stall the games.

I would vote for more work for the host and would suggest trying to take work load away from ][avok if it grows out of bounds.
I agree.

I would perfer to see a 3rd race added (all the way down at 0,0 or something) and given 300 or so ships. Honor rule that says don't go near him. That way, we can have a 1v1 game that is limited in size without the problem of other 1v1 games interferring,

B A N E

Post#11 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 am

Good points.
If I'm not mistaken, with Phost, you can reduce the allowable
ships below 500.

That way a 3rd "untouchable" race wouldn't be needed.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

anubis

Post#12 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 am

B A N E wrote:Good points.
ships below 500.

I still also believe that in a good 1v1 game, each player needs to have at least 2 races. There are just too many Rock/Paper/Scissors possibilities in VGAP. By given each player 2 or 3 races, that is reduced.

RealMurphy

Post#13 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:07 am

In principle yes, but I would hate to think about all possible combinations I could use to harm my enemy most with 2 or 3 races at once. Plus, I would need a nice client which would allow me to play all races at once.

I think 1 on 1 should be good especially with the same races (as said earlier).

If you go for a ladder style, the challenger would suggest his race and the challenged player has the free choice :)

I don't know if that is feasible, but I guess even with 2 races per player there are still bad combinations

anubis

Post#14 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:18 am

RealMurphy wrote:In principle yes, but I would hate to think about all possible combinations I could use to harm my enemy most with 2 or 3 races at once. Plus, I would need a nice client which would allow me to play all races at once.

I think 1 on 1 should be good especially with the same races (as said earlier).

If you go for a ladder style, the challenger would suggest his race and the challenged player has the free choice :)

I don't know if that is feasible, but I guess even with 2 races per player there are still bad combinations
Well, you can play both races with WinPlan, you just have to be sure that both TRNs are compiled at the same time. Echoview can be used to provide the combined high-level overview.

The problem with both players playing the same race is that you lose a lot of the flavor of VGAP. A lot of the game is the interaction between the different play types.

Cherek

Post#15 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 am

B A N E wrote:Good points.
ships below 500.

With PHost, you can configure the number of ships in a game to be between 100 and 999 ships.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Game Suggestions”