Game for Lower Ranks

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

Game for Lower Ranks

Post#1 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Maybe a game for lower ranks would be good to see now and then. I do realise that some newer players on the site, who have low ranks are actually bloody good players, so it wouldn't absolutely exclude them.

Reason for this suggestion is that in a few games of late I have seen some players who are playing ok, but just don't have the experience to really withstand an experienced player's full on attack. Also, the more experienced players seem to know each other and often hook up at the start of a game and hammer on some not so strong players.

So maybe a game up to a certain rank will even this out a bit

hennef

Post#2 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:27 pm

that discussion again?

i would greatly appreciate such ranked battles. but so far there had been some resistance against any kind of ranking here.

some ppl just LOVE rankings :D [-o< =P~
have fun!

hennef

Cardno

Post#3 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:00 pm

hennef wrote:that discussion again?

i would greatly appreciate such ranked battles. but so far there had been some resistance against any kind of ranking here.

I don't give so much of a rats ass about rankings as such - just would like to see newer players sometimes enjoying doing well in a game because they aren't playing four megalord players and getting squashed before they get going.. make sense?

hennef

Post#4 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:35 pm

Cardno wrote:
hennef wrote:that discussion again?

I don't give so much of a rats ass about rankings as such - just would like to see newer players sometimes enjoying doing well in a game because they aren't playing four megalord players and getting squashed before they get going.. make sense?
jep - i am sure ][avok will open a special game for you :D
have fun!

hennef

Cardno

Post#5 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:05 pm

I hope so, but i hope the ranking level is SO low that you will get to play as well :lol:

Julius Atreides

Post#6 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 pm

I figure I am one of those lacking in experience but I also figure that the best way I'm going to learn is trial and error, duking it out and learning the ropes competing with the old strategic and tactical hands.

Mika

Post#7 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 am

ranking systems are great! Not because we are so proud and keen on fame (ok, I am) but because it brings some competition. Competition is always good.

At the moment I have to use my personal ranking system. That is just observation in games on the one side and the chit-chat of players in the forums.

In games you often see people with a good score and as soon as you encounter battle you realize that the player is not as experienced as the score should let you think. That just happened to me a few days ago. And on the other side you sometimes meet someone with a lower score and suddenly that weaker player turns out to be a real crack. (Most of the time that are players trying a race they consider as weaker or they simply try to get through a game without allies or something).

But a real ranking system would allow much more useless taunts. :)
Maybe we get some quiet days/weeks sometime and ][avok decides to use that time to set up something like that.

And btw... just sending in turns to raise the score is nice... but that should end somewhere. At a certain stage you should only gain some points for winning a game (or be in the top 3 at least).

Mika
rank-fanatic
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Cardno

Post#8 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:40 am

Julius Atreides wrote:I figure I am one of those lacking in experience but I also figure that the best way I'm going to learn is trial and error, duking it out and learning the ropes competing with the old strategic and tactical hands.
True Enuf. Just make sure you ally early on - this is also a good way to contribute towards your learning.

Return to “Game Suggestions”