New game ideas

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

New game ideas

Post#1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:19 am

Hey all

Here's 3 ideas for new games -

1. The Killing Moon II

2. Sandstorm. A truely "blind" game - using the Explore add-on, detection of other worlds and ships is limited to 10LY. It would be just like having a battle inside a sandstorm.

3. Tournament event with teams from each country competing to find out who is the reigning VGAP country. Knockout competition starting with 8 countries in the quarter-finals, 4 in the semi-finals and then 2 in the finals.

User avatar
FLETCH
Posts: 1440

Re: New game ideas

Post#2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:17 am

Hawkeye wrote:2. Sandstorm. A truely "blind" game - using the Explore add-on, detection of other worlds and ships is limited to 10LY. It would be just like having a battle inside a sandstorm.
That would be like playing Skirmish/Paintball blindfolded........ Could be fun..........could have wayward players heading off into oblivion turn after turn :D
FLETCH


667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: New game ideas

Post#3 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:16 am

FLETCH wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:2. Sandstorm. A truely "blind" game - using the Explore add-on, detection of other worlds and ships is limited to 10LY. It would be just like having a battle inside a sandstorm.
That would be like playing Skirmish/Paintball blindfolded........ Could be fun..........could have wayward players heading off into oblivion turn after turn :D
It might work...

Maybe with a smaller universe and say a 40-50 turn limit?
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Re: New game ideas

Post#4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 am

Havok wrote: It might work...

Maybe with a smaller universe and say a 40-50 turn limit?

I'm thinking of perhaps a random map, say 750-850 LY across, so not all that much smaller than the standard map. Either random wormholes appearing and disappearing, or add in the ability to build jumpgates around the place. No turn limit - game would take longer than usual due to the challenge of finding new worlds. You could create a real "fog of war" effect by making planets that are lost in battle and are not within 10LY of another planet/ship disappear from the player's map. To make it fruitless to retain old XYPLAN.DAT files for reference, a spinning map could be used that at the end of each turn it pivots all map objects around a point by 3 degrees, if such an add-on exists.

User avatar
FLETCH
Posts: 1440

Post#5 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:44 am

I think a game like that would do my head in :Eyecrazy:
FLETCH


667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#6 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:59 am

Yes, there is an addon that rotates the map and Havok & I have
discussed in the past using it.

I think with such a short exploremap setting, you'd end up with
very frustrated players.

BUT, with a bit of thought, you could adjust the variables in exploremap
to make it short range but not stifling.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#7 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:48 am

B A N E wrote:Yes, there is an addon that rotates the map and Havok & I have
discussed in the past using it.

I think with such a short exploremap setting, you'd end up with
very frustrated players.

BUT, with a bit of thought, you could adjust the variables in exploremap
to make it short range but not stifling.
The orbitor addon for maps is REALLY cool, but you need to make one change to the General settings. Web Mine sweep distance needs to be increased. I Smart Tholian can lay a web and have it Spiral your WAY. Love the tactic but it drives people from the game.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#8 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:55 am

Once about a year (maybe a little longer) ago I tried a game with a round map and the orbiter mod. After 3 weeks only 1 person had joined... So I nuked it and haven't tried again.

If there's enough intrest we can work something out.

E#1, that is a great tactic. It works decently for the Robots as well.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#9 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:00 am

Havok wrote:Once about a year (maybe a little longer) ago I tried a game with a round map and the orbiter mod. After 3 weeks only 1 person had joined... So I nuked it and haven't tried again.

If there's enough intrest we can work something out.

E#1, that is a great tactic. It works decently for the Robots as well.
Mines you can see and Counter Mine against, Cylon still has an advantage though.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#10 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm

I'll join an orbitor game just to test drive it.
I won't play my "A" game, but I'd play.

Hmm, I wonder what Q or spacelord would do...

There are a number of interesting hconfigs available to solve the
drifting web/mine problem.

Long range sweep.
High decay.
Small minefield sizes.
Mines destroy webs.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
warpedboard
Posts: 555

Post#11 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 pm

B A N E wrote:I'll join an orbitor game just to test drive it.
I won't play my "A" game, but I'd play.

Hmm, I wonder what Q or spacelord would do...

There are a number of interesting hconfigs available to solve the
drifting web/mine problem.

Long range sweep.
High decay.
Small minefield sizes.
Mines destroy webs.
I've ran 1 orbiter game before... holy crap was it complicated to play. If you got the hang of it, you could do some nasty things... but you had to get the hang of guesstimating where the planets would be next turn & where you should therefore set your waypoint (if you're not going planet-to-planet). Minefields can by nasty, but on the other hand, the player whose territory they go through can sit tight for a turn or two and the problem's gone for a while.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#12 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:04 pm

well, if.......... does........ the problem is there to STAY.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Re: New game ideas

Post#13 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:46 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Hey all

Here's 3 ideas for new games -

1. The Killing Moon II

2. Sandstorm. A truely "blind" game - using the Explore add-on, detection of other worlds and ships is limited to 10LY. It would be just like having a battle inside a sandstorm.

3. Tournament event with teams from each country competing to find out who is the reigning VGAP country. Knockout competition starting with 8 countries in the quarter-finals, 4 in the semi-finals and then 2 in the finals.
KM2 may be a good idea. I think last time I used the Tantalas machine, but no one found it. (and I did make it hard to find). That setup may work good with the Machines of Yore addon.

I think the sandstorm concept may not be a bad idea either... but 10LY is to restricting IMOP. I wouldn't do less than 100LY from a ship.

Tourney..... Unless it can be done on a weekend.... ][ell No!!! :hatepc:
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
PaladinCyborg
Posts: 374

Post#14 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 pm

I have two game suggestions, but would like them a month in the future since I'm not ready to play them yet.

1. An orbitter game with low perterbation. Note that sphere doesn't work well with orbitter, so please avoid that add-on.

2. My second suggestion is a game that should challenge many players of my humble quyality. In this game, the race, add-ons, and primary ally would be unknown to the player until turn 1. Players sign up to a game with something like the following description.
- a race is picked for the player at random.
- the player's primary, rst sharing ally, is also picked at random.
- players will be expected to honor their primary alliance.
- the site host reveals the add-ons and rules for winning after the game starts.
This, of coarse, is only for those who are willing to take a leap of faith.

][avok, please consider me signed up. :salute:
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#15 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Nice ideas. Only way I would consider the 'blind ally' option, would be to have joining dependant upon minimum rank level, and probably, a consistent turn response of no lower than 80% (whew! I would JUST make it on that basis....) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron