Limited or No alliance games.

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#16 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Vertigo wrote:Gota admit, I am enjoying the hell ouf TBTFT2
Not real fond of the ships being renamed every turn to blnd tny ship
or whatever it is

Seems the plyers are capable of renaming ships
+ Renaming an mbr "Bird of Prey" could add to this game
Just a thought
The ship renaming option is in the game to keep potential cheaters from using their ship name slots to communicate with one another, thus keeping it blind. I wish there was another way to do it... But I don't know of one.
Regards,
][avok

Tei

Post#17 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm also enjoying the for Whom the Bell tolls game despite my poor position #11.

I agree that there is much non verbal communication possible:

Not attacking planets as an attempt to signal a non aggressive posture, worked for one but not another.

Show of force to temper the ambitions of an upstart.

I think blinding the ship names to be useless. If someone wanted to have an "illegal" alliance, all they would do is e-mail the other player. Of course having this type of alliance is of limited benefit with a lot of potential problems occuring (setting Kill on your homeworld just as your ally arrives).

Even with out alliances, it doesn't stop multiple players from figuring that it is in their advantage to attack a race with the most points.

I like the point system for homeworld capture. It really sharpens the objectives of the game.

Tei
Last edited by Tei on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vertigo

Post#18 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 pm

You will go mad trying to stop cheaters.

The ship renaming is more annoying than helpful
just my opinion
Does this look infected to you?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#19 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Vertigo wrote:You will go mad trying to stop cheaters.

The ship renaming is more annoying than helpful
just my opinion
It's my job :)
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#20 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:07 pm

Hmm...

Invasion points?
I hadn't been paying attention, yep, that would cause folks to react
to without agreement to focus on a successful player.

The reason for the Xname on the ships is much more successful in
a blind tournament where you don't know who's in the game or in
the tournament.

Where the 11 players in game are known, Xname and the other blind
addons are less effective.

When Havok and I discussed it, these things were added to give folks
the flavor of that tournament.

VGAP doesn't have the player base it did when the Blind Tourney was
run... sigh, 8 years ago? :(
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Six_Of_One

Post#21 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:24 am

As a player who tends to limit alliances to simple borders and non aggression pacts, the concept looks great.

Blind players, explore map, no scores etc would be a game scenario i would like to play in sometime.

The renaming of ships would do my head in though.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

planetmaker

blind games

Post#22 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 am

At blutmagie.de we have a very dedicated host team.

Currently I'm playing on that site in an anonymous game. And it is REALLY anonymous as I don't know the names of any of the players nor their e-mails, any in-game communication via race or ship names or messages is switched off, scores are blanked. It's really a great game.

Meanwhile I know of a few people who play there, too. But I still don't know their race in order to keep the anonymity.

These games are anounced by the host as such, anonymous games with certain victory conditions (like 140 planets for 10 turns). And the host team asks players whom they know to be reliable and have at least a bit of experience whether they like to join via private mail. They also have a web form to register for the next such occasion.

IMO it's very hard to keep the "no communication", if you know who plays which race. It's less of a burden, if you don't know who plays which.

But maybe there could be such mailbox with Havok, where interested parties could subscribe to an anonymous game (the usual details like master, pconfig settings and winning conditions) described on the web page).
Maybe it is possible to have the player names not shown for that game once it's started?

At least I enjoy this completely anonymous game very much. Heavy fighting is going on. I've seen battles with at least 20 ships involved in one place. The only knowledge I have other than my RST is every 5th turn a battle mass ranking where I know my score, my place and the total score.

EDIT spelling

B A N E

Post#23 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 am

Planetmaker,
Very tempting.

8)
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Julius Atreides

Post#24 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:39 am

Very true that trying to stop cheating can drive an admin crazy, but if they happen to be crazy already like :cylon: then there is less risk.

He is crazy right? But we all appreciate his craziness as it is what keeps this site going :)

And very true about not being able to stop cheaters if they are determined.

In TBTFT, two of the other players I knew (one dropped due to scheduling) and it was both fun and frustrating not being able to talk about that game with them. Certainly would have been easy to communicate outside the game just as it is easy to do so by email when we know the players.

I guess we just have to have integrity ourselves and have faith that the other players do as well.

As for the Blind Tourney Ship #... meh, don't bug me that much. For those it does bug, I know Carlos got shipsoul working but last I knew he doesnt have internets connection.

Cardno

Post#25 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 pm

I've just signed up for a hide map option on Starbase. I like the concept because it provides more chance of hammering on a good player early on. Really like the idea of extending it to not even knowing who they are. Excellent concept.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#26 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Cardno wrote:I've just signed up for a hide map option on Starbase. I like the concept because it provides more chance of hammering on a good player early on. Really like the idea of extending it to not even knowing who they are. Excellent concept.
I looked at the game. Settings seem odd, but it looks interesting. I almost joined as the Bots.

Let me know how it ends up.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Post#27 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:15 pm

The settings are odd. Very low MC. I hadn't picked up on that when I joined, and I think I would DEFINETLY have gone with the Lizards if i had checked it properly. Or, the pirates. Everyone is going to be vulnerable to the pirates with such slow economies at the start.

You should join as the bots

Return to “Game Suggestions”