Cardno's Challenge

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Does anyone else want to challenge Cardno to a 1 on 1?

Yes
0
No votes
No
1
100%
No, we want to have another Casebolt vs. everyone game.
0
No votes
Total votes: 1

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Cardno's Challenge

Post#1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 am

Ok, Cardno. I have a free game slot to burn. Since you say this is the only way to prove that you are a MBA wizard, I'll accept the offer of a 1 on 1 game.

Here are my suggestions for the game settings:

1. Shareware only. I am getting tired of being accused of cheating when I use my registered copy. And it is more of a challenge using sw, unless of course, you don't like challenges.

2. Turn rate of one turn per month. That guarantees that neither one of us can complain that we did not have enough time to get our turns ready. And no drop out is possible. And before you whine, yes, we certainly should be able to have the game host earlier if we both get our turns in before a month has passed. AND you can burn me all you want if I take too long preparing my turn. I would not have any right to say anything in those cases where you have been kept waiting for more than three seconds after you handed in your turn.

3. Very long distance between HWs and poor economy. This is more challenging and gives me time to build up a huge fleet, in case I get to play the 'borg.

4. Blind and Bitter End game. This is so that neither of us can guess who is really winning until one of us quits in utter defeat. This will make the outcome absolutely conclusive with no possible whining about how I cheated or you would have won but you did not have time to play your turns or that you were obviously superior and just could not be bothered to prove it.

5. Two races only, no computer races to feed off of. You should come up with a list of all the various pairs that you would agree to play. If I agree to a pair, then you can pick which race you want to play.

Once you agree to those conditions or make a reasonable counter offer, you should set it up with Havok and we can settle this matter to your satisfaction.

User avatar
Six_Of_One
Posts: 1078
Contact:

Post#2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:12 am

Pure Gold 8)
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Re: Cardno's Challenge

Post#3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:13 am

Douglas Jew wrote:Ok, Cardno. I have a free game slot to burn. Since you say this is the only way to prove that you are a MBA wizard, I'll accept the offer of a 1 on 1 game.

Here are my suggestions for the game settings:

1. Shareware only. I am getting tired of being accused of cheating when I use my registered copy. And it is more of a challenge using sw, unless of course, you don't like challenges.

2. Turn rate of one turn per month. That guarantees that neither one of us can complain that we did not have enough time to get our turns ready. And no drop out is possible. And before you whine, yes, we certainly should be able to have the game host earlier if we both get our turns in before a month has passed. AND you can burn me all you want if I take too long preparing my turn. I would not have any right to say anything in those cases where you have been kept waiting for more than three seconds after you handed in your turn.

3. Very long distance between HWs and poor economy. This is more challenging and gives me time to build up a huge fleet, in case I get to play the 'borg.

4. Blind and Bitter End game. This is so that neither of us can guess who is really winning until one of us quits in utter defeat. This will make the outcome absolutely conclusive with no possible whining about how I cheated or you would have won but you did not have time to play your turns or that you were obviously superior and just could not be bothered to prove it.

5. Two races only, no computer races to feed off of. You should come up with a list of all the various pairs that you would agree to play. If I agree to a pair, then you can pick which race you want to play.

Once you agree to those conditions or make a reasonable counter offer, you should set it up with Havok and we can settle this matter to your satisfaction.
You would do well to read the established rules on challenge games here. They have had a lot of good input and it will be far more straight forward to follow those. This includes map options etc.

Having said that, to cut to the chase, what's the problem with your registered version? I won't play shareware. One turn per week, or sooner if both turns in.

My first race coupling is: Robots vs. Colonies

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#4 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 am

Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Six_Of_One
Posts: 1078
Contact:

Post#5 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:43 am

I think there was a large tongue pushing out the side of his cheek :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Re: Cardno's Challenge

Post#6 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 am

Cardno wrote:
Douglas Jew wrote:Ok, Cardno. I have a free game slot to burn. Since you say this is the only way to prove that you are a MBA wizard, I'll accept the offer of a 1 on 1 game.

Here are my suggestions for the game settings:

1. Shareware only. I am getting tired of being accused of cheating when I use my registered copy. And it is more of a challenge using sw, unless of course, you don't like challenges.

2. Turn rate of one turn per month. That guarantees that neither one of us can complain that we did not have enough time to get our turns ready. And no drop out is possible. And before you whine, yes, we certainly should be able to have the game host earlier if we both get our turns in before a month has passed. AND you can burn me all you want if I take too long preparing my turn. I would not have any right to say anything in those cases where you have been kept waiting for more than three seconds after you handed in your turn.

3. Very long distance between HWs and poor economy. This is more challenging and gives me time to build up a huge fleet, in case I get to play the 'borg.

4. Blind and Bitter End game. This is so that neither of us can guess who is really winning until one of us quits in utter defeat. This will make the outcome absolutely conclusive with no possible whining about how I cheated or you would have won but you did not have time to play your turns or that you were obviously superior and just could not be bothered to prove it.

5. Two races only, no computer races to feed off of. You should come up with a list of all the various pairs that you would agree to play. If I agree to a pair, then you can pick which race you want to play.

Once you agree to those conditions or make a reasonable counter offer, you should set it up with Havok and we can settle this matter to your satisfaction.
You would do well to read the established rules on challenge games here. They have had a lot of good input and it will be far more straight forward to follow those. This includes map options etc.

Having said that, to cut to the chase, what's the problem with your registered version? I won't play shareware. One turn per week, or sooner if both turns in.

My first race coupling is: Robots vs. Colonies
Since you don't want to be reasonable... the answer then is 'no'. I would have explained but you obviously are too busy bragging about your victory already.

You had your chance, Cardno. So much for you MBA abilities.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#7 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am

How is Cardno's reply not reasonable? Based on his response, I'm not sure he caught the "tongue & cheek" aspect of your post. However it appears to me that he accepted your writing as a legitimate offer and made a decent counter proposal. So unless you didn't plan to play him 1x1 anyway...
Regards,
][avok

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Post#8 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am

Havok wrote:How is Cardno's reply not reasonable? Based on his response, I'm not sure he caught the "tongue & cheek" aspect of your post. However it appears to me that he accepted your writing as a legitimate offer and made a decent counter proposal. So unless you didn't plan to play him 1x1 anyway...
When someone uses the phrase 'cut to the chase', it usually means 'don't waste your time arguing with me. I am not interested in explanations.'

And my offer was legitimate, but I don't agree with some of the 'standard' settings of the 1 on 1 games. The two biggest problems I have are the 72 hour turnaround instead of 1 month and the refusal to use only shareware. Everything else I probably would have agreed to.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#9 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 am

If you don't mind my asking, why a shareware game? That's actually going to slow it down even more IMOP.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#10 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 am

FYI, the duel framework is/was a suggestion and most of
the parameters are adaptable to player prefs.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
FLETCH
Posts: 1440

Re: Cardno's Challenge

Post#11 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:36 am

Douglas Jew wrote:Ok, Cardno. I have a free game slot to burn. Since you say this is the only way to prove that you are a MBA wizard, I'll accept the offer of a 1 on 1 game.

Here are my suggestions for the game settings:

1. Shareware only. I am getting tired of being accused of cheating when I use my registered copy. And it is more of a challenge using sw, unless of course, you don't like challenges.

2. Turn rate of one turn per month. That guarantees that neither one of us can complain that we did not have enough time to get our turns ready. And no drop out is possible. And before you whine, yes, we certainly should be able to have the game host earlier if we both get our turns in before a month has passed. AND you can burn me all you want if I take too long preparing my turn. I would not have any right to say anything in those cases where you have been kept waiting for more than three seconds after you handed in your turn.

3. Very long distance between HWs and poor economy. This is more challenging and gives me time to build up a huge fleet, in case I get to play the 'borg.

4. Blind and Bitter End game. This is so that neither of us can guess who is really winning until one of us quits in utter defeat. This will make the outcome absolutely conclusive with no possible whining about how I cheated or you would have won but you did not have time to play your turns or that you were obviously superior and just could not be bothered to prove it.

5. Two races only, no computer races to feed off of. You should come up with a list of all the various pairs that you would agree to play. If I agree to a pair, then you can pick which race you want to play.

Once you agree to those conditions or make a reasonable counter offer, you should set it up with Havok and we can settle this matter to your satisfaction.
I don't normally get involved with arguments that I am not a direct part of but I felt I wanted to add comment here.

Douglas Jew your proposal is rediculous. No matter how much of a grudge there is, this is still a game. It is for recreation. How anyone could possibly enjoy the setup you are suggesting is beyond me. I almost thought you were joking as well...... almost.

Several people had input into the basic challenge game template and it is generally agreed that it is suitable for such a match.

The only comments I've seen from you regarding Cardno lately have been snide remarks and insults. He responds to this by saying (in a round about way) to put up or shut up. Your reply was this dribble.

At the risk of backlash from our tireless host, I too think you are a dick.

All this of course is just my opinion and if I have offended any innocent bystanders then I apologise.
FLETCH


667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#12 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Douglas Jew wrote:
Havok wrote:How is Cardno's reply not reasonable? Based on his response, I'm not sure he caught the "tongue & cheek" aspect of your post. However it appears to me that he accepted your writing as a legitimate offer and made a decent counter proposal. So unless you didn't plan to play him 1x1 anyway...
When someone uses the phrase 'cut to the chase', it usually means 'don't waste your time arguing with me. I am not interested in explanations.'

And my offer was legitimate, but I don't agree with some of the 'standard' settings of the 1 on 1 games. The two biggest problems I have are the 72 hour turnaround instead of 1 month and the refusal to use only shareware. Everything else I probably would have agreed to.
You threaten to show all that you lack all credibility JD. Why don't you try to disprove that - here's your chance.

I clearly offered an alternative which I believe is more than reasonable. I'm also open to further dialogue.

You will either prove you really want to challenge me - or you won't.

You can choose now to run away with your tail between your legs, or you can engage in dialogue (this is what adults do Douglas) to establish a reasonable challenge.

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#13 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:17 pm

:coffee:

To be honest, once a week is a fair call...

User avatar
Six_Of_One
Posts: 1078
Contact:

Re: Cardno's Challenge

Post#14 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 am

FLETCH wrote: I don't normally get involved with arguments that I am not a direct part of .
Perhaps you should have stopped there :wink: :P 8)
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#15 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 am

yay! war! 1on1! rant heaven! :woot:


what? :shock:


I normally love reading those challenge chats, but this one is disappointing.

hey Jew, dont make it bad.... :P sry! :DDD
I say you should try again Douglas. ;)
Just start all over and pretend it was still yesterday, YESTERDAAAAAY :D
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron