Unnatural Selection and a ladder tournament

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#16 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:36 am

B A N E wrote:Work up the victory conditions and the turn limits
so that some of the time constrained players can
consider it.

Personally, I'd like to see ~50 turn duels.
Fast, furious and over before they become time sinks.
I like a 50 turn limit. That should be enough time in the small map to have some good duels.

If we do this as a mini UnNatural Selection type, then Tonnage sunk is a good winning condition.
The other option would be highest ITA score, but that you can get by doing a lot of defenses and economy as well, so tonnage is best in my mind.

The problem is: No matter how you look at it, this is going to take time and you can't make the turns to fast or most players would not be able to keep up (time wise). If we do 5x until turn 15 (3 weeks) and then 3x until turn 50 (11 1/2 weeks) total approx. 3 -4 months per game. If there are 10 players, there will be 5 games each (round robin style) which is 1 1/2 years.

If it's a knockout, then 16 players will take 4 rounds of games which is just over a year. This model allows more players in the tournament for less time (although not everybody will play the same amount of games). What we can do is to have in the first round opponents that are similar in experience and from round 2 the opponents are random.

Cardno

Post#17 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:07 am

Mmmm this is sounding more and more interesting. It might even be worth investing the 900 hours to understand how to build a good race in order to play.. :D

Six_Of_One

Post#18 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:29 am

Cardno wrote:Mmmm this is sounding more and more interesting. It might even be worth investing the 900 hours to understand how to build a good race in order to play.. :D
Dont worry, you dont qualify as your IQ must hit double figures to enter :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cardno

Post#19 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:
Cardno wrote:Mmmm this is sounding more and more interesting. It might even be worth investing the 900 hours to understand how to build a good race in order to play.. :D

Cherek

Post#20 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Cardno wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote:
Hey Cardno, I think you forgot something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cardno

Post#21 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Six writes:

"Dont worry, you dont qualify as your IQ must hit double figures to enter "
(yeah i buggared up the quoting thing AGAIN cherek!)

I've had a lot of trouble thinking things through since the car accident two years ago. The biggest problem I have though is trying to tie my shoe laces.

Hey Six - did I read recently that you had to drop a game due to life pressues etc? Mmmmmm I seem to recall someone with a name similar to yours giving me shit a few months ago for doing the same thing.....

Where did you get your exemption certificate? Did it come with that amazing education and pedigree that you are so proud of? :wink:

anubis

Post#22 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

I like the idea of picking your race and then using that same race through the entire battle.

One concern was about the length of the tournament. What if we started everyone with 4 or 5 planets and 2 or 3 LDSF's with transwarp? Just to give us a little kick at the start?

Cardno

Post#23 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:58 pm

anubis wrote:I like the idea of picking your race and then using that same race through the entire battle.

One concern was about the length of the tournament. What if we started everyone with 4 or 5 planets and 2 or 3 LDSF's with transwarp? Just to give us a little kick at the start?
Terrible Idea. If you want to do that, just give everyone a transwarp merlin to start off with (another terrible idea)

anubis

Post#24 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Cardno wrote:
anubis wrote:I like the idea of picking your race and then using that same race through the entire battle.

Terrible Idea. If you want to do that, just give everyone a transwarp merlin to start off with (another terrible idea)
Why? If we start with a couple of freighters, all that does is help with initial expansion, thus speeding up the starting phase of the game.

I am curious as to why you think it is a terrible idea (and perhaps another idea as to how to speed up the overall tournament).

B A N E

Post#25 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

I wouldn't play with free ship starts like that.

Part of the game is decided by the first choices made.
With free big freighters, certain race configs can go very early
to hunter mode with far less economic risk.

Whereas if a player builds warships early and doesn't have big
free freighters, the economic cost is high.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

anubis

Post#26 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 pm

B A N E wrote:I wouldn't play with free ship starts like that.

Part of the game is decided by the first choices made.
With free big freighters, certain race configs can go very early
to hunter mode with far less economic risk.

Whereas if a player builds warships early and doesn't have big
free freighters, the economic cost is high.
That is true, I am just trying to come up with a way to reduce the "early" game to speed up the overall tournament. Perhaps we are better off just planning on a longer ladder if this happens.

Cardno

Post#27 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

B A N E

Post#28 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Uh oh, they've reloaded the matrix.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

B A N E

Post#29 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Why not set the victory condition to most planets at T50 as opposed
to most tons?

Tons allows a player to get a lead and sit on it.
Planet count doesn't.

Planet count also gives a player a good reason to choose
something like Darksense, SuperSpy, Pillage and RGA.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#30 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:05 pm

B A N E wrote:Uh oh, they've reloaded the matrix.
Yes - my posting has been out of control.

I agreed re the no large ships, but come on, the number of planets as victory condition?? Would you please stop trying to lean the game configs toward your preferred cloaking races? :wink:

Return to “Game Suggestions”