Unnatural Selection and a ladder tournament

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

anubis

Post#61 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:00 pm

Boomer wrote:I like the idea of a tournament, random draw as to who plays who at each juncture, we can set fighter based games as opposed to torp based games and throw the Priv's and Crystals out of the entire tournament. Keep the map small and the resources high. No kill race or Q, if you drop out whoever gets to your territory first gets the goods, spoils of war. I've seen it happen too many times a guy beats up on his opponent just to have the guy quit and loose everything to the computer.
Well, the idea of this tournament was to use the race builder and each game be a small map 1v1, not random race assignments, but the more people in the tournament is always better!

Boomer

Post#62 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Race builder works for me, I was talking Random draw for battle assignments not race race assignments that way Newb's wouldn't be disadvantaged, or we could get all the Newb's to play against each other and the vets against each other until the end that would not put the less experienced players at a disavantage until the very end.

anubis

Post#63 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Boomer wrote:Race builder works for me, I was talking Random draw for battle assignments not race race assignments that way Newb's wouldn't be disadvantaged, or we could get all the Newb's to play against each other and the vets against each other until the end that would not put the less experienced players at a disavantage until the very end.
AHh. I see. Yeah, random assignments of players is a good idea

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#64 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:55 am

My previous suggestion of having the new player and seasonal players grouped for the first round, and there after randon might work then as a mix of what you guys have.

Shardin5

Post#65 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:07 am

I like the idea except for the random race selections.
There are a few Races, CofM, that I am just HORRIBLE at.
They are just NOT my style of play.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Six_Of_One

Post#66 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:51 am

-Race builder makes it interesting as you dont know exactly how your enemy is configured
-random draw for opponents, inexperienced players that join know what they are getting in to......... sink or swim :wink:

-need an "Entries close by date" so you can work out what style of tourney. Ie if a dozen enter then can be 1V1 round robin, but if 30 enter maybe better to have groups of 5 with say 5 rounds. Then top 4-8 could play out a knockout finals.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

hennef

Post#67 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 am

random race selection. i love that. maybe that way i am going to finally play the boring cofm or eventually even the crystals.... instead of being unable to decide about which one of my favourites i am going to take....
have fun!

hennef

Six_Of_One

Post#68 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:15 am

How do you know they are boring if you have never played them, young one :?:

I think there is nothing quite like suddenly appearing at a jumpgate in the middle of Borg space with around 40 fully stocked Virgos, and the killing floor addon :wink:

Try them, you might find you like them. I'm sure Adama can give you some tips 8)

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

hennef

Post#69 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:20 am

i even think the rebels are boring. so give me a reason to believe the cofm would be any more interesting. no falcons, boring mission, infinite fuel, worst carrier in the game, no other ships worth building.

well, as i said, i hope to play them soon, but i doubt i will ever choose them voluntarily :D
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post#70 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 am

I have tried the CofM 3 times now. Just not my cup of tea. I would rather play the Empire over the CofM. I actually enjoy the Empire. I have never played the Rebs. Might give them a try one day.
How about both sides send in 2-3 race choices, and out of that, they get what they get, and Side A, always gets 1st choice in case of a Tie.
President Ronald Reagan

anubis

Post#71 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am

Enemy#1 wrote:I have tried the CofM 3 times now. Just not my cup of tea. I would rather play the Empire over the CofM. I actually enjoy the Empire. I have never played the Rebs. Might give them a try one day.
How about both sides send in 2-3 race choices, and out of that, they get what they get, and Side A, always gets 1st choice in case of a Tie.
Perhaps for a different tournament, the idea of this one was to create your own race using Bitmask's race generator

Shardin5

Post#72 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:28 am

well that works. I just was reading that some were saying random assignment.
President Ronald Reagan

Six_Of_One

Post#73 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Theres the next tourney idea...

11 players and 11 rounds. Each round you have to play a different race until all have been played.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Shardin5

Post#74 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:04 pm

So the Best out of 11 games then?
I think a turney like that would still be running the Next Presidental Election
President Ronald Reagan

Cardno

Post#75 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 pm

BitMask wrote:My previous suggestion of having the new player and seasonal players grouped for the first round, and there after randon might work then as a mix of what you guys have.
I think this is a good idea.

Return to “Game Suggestions”