Planetary Riots

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Tei

Planetary Riots

Post#1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm playing in two games NF 47 and SFB3 where my opponents have been setting each planet to max tax a few turns before capture. While I can understand using this as a tactical manuver to stall an enemy, as a long tem strategy is does little but decrease game play value,

Havok, how about using the addon for futur games to reset happiness to 40 (if my memory is correct) after a planet is not occupied? I think Phost has something built in to do this.

I'm getting really sick of playing with players who's only strategy is making planets riot.

Gilgamesh

Post#2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

It may be annoying (it's meant to be) but the scorched earth tactic goes back centuries.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Tei

Post#3 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 pm

More like millenia,

Isn't there some modern charter against this barberic behavior between nations?

Desert-Fox

Post#4 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Tei wrote:More like millenia,

Isn't there some modern charter against this barberic behavior between nations?
My guess is 'The Echo Cluster' never got the memo.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

B A N E

Post#5 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:47 pm

http://www.circus-maximus.com/ryo.htm

Scroll down to Planet Stabiliser:
The host.exe does not update the happiness of planetary population if they are neutral. So, if a planet goes under prolonged high tax, RGA or Pillage and the colonist populations are wiped out because of civil war, any colonists who come to the planet after the extermination of previous owners will suffer from 'ghost' civil wars. This virtually renders the planet inhospitable no matter how many turns have passed.

This add-on attempts to take over the host.exe's function for neutral planets and thus make sure 'ghost' civil wars do not occur after certain time. This is achieved by increasing the happiness gradually during inoccupancy of the planets upto 70 (populations content at 70).

The formulae used have been worked out so that players can not beam the colonists up and benefit from higher happiness recovery rate. This is due to the fact that the formulae will allow revovery of happiness lower than or equal to the normal rate with colonists on the planet at 0% tax when the happiness is > 0. When the happiness < 0, higher recovery rate will kick in. Even at 100% tax rate, the happiness will not go under 0 in one turn. However this will still cause riots and no tax yield, so players can not beam up clans to benefit from tax yield higher than normal. This add-on also works only on neutral planets. Thus the Lizards' Hiss ability will be unaffected.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gavan

Post#6 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:13 pm

So the short answer is the only way to take over a planet that is having a riot is to keep dropping clans until they stop killing them?

If that is the case does the riot end quicker if you drop 100 clans then say 1 clan at a time?
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Tei

Post#7 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 am

The "Planet Stabiliser" addon seems like it does what host should have done. Planets should recover on their own from civil war when not occupied.

Captain Blood

Post#8 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 am

Gavan wrote:So the short answer is the only way to take over a planet that is having a riot is to keep dropping clans until they stop killing them?

If that is the case does the riot end quicker if you drop 100 clans then say 1 clan at a time?
First question, yes

Second question, no. But if you drop enough there will only die a percentage once the minimum number of clan have died, so you might move on. You better check Donovan for the numbers if it is importent.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Return to “Game Suggestions”