Buddy program

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
wasp
Posts: 424

Buddy program

Post#1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi all

I would like to sugest something. For those who are allways in the low positions and allways wondering how does the first placers are able to advance so fast, I would like to have a training game.

Several players enter a game, but they have some very senior, and in a high position, to tutor him. It would have access to the game data and give sugestions such as build these, move here with caution because of... I'm not saying giving away tactics, because most of them come from special situations... but giving free and good advice about how to progress in a game.

What do you think?

ricardo carvalho

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:12 pm

It's been suggested a million times and the normal outcome is that several old-timers figure that the newbies should just 'do it tough' like they did and it never goes anywhere.

Personally, I agree with you. It's particularly important if we are serious about keeping the game alive - with dwindling numbers. I'm more than over-committed at the moment, but would take some extra time out of my schedule to give someone a hand.

For instance - I know that Bane has been giving Fletch a hand - hell he needs it.

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:53 pm

The best way to do it would be to have an even number of players... 2, 4, 6, etc... One new, one vet.

Once we come to an agreement, a game can be built.
Regards,
][avok

User avatar
FLETCH
Posts: 1440

Post#4 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:12 pm

:asshole2:

:flip:
FLETCH


667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

User avatar
Captain Blood
Posts: 294

Post#5 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:29 pm

I like the idea of having some of the more experienced players introducing people to the combat/diplomatic part of the game. It could be done like suggested above.

Another possibility than mixing new/experienced players in the same game. Was to run shorter games like 50-60 turns for new players, it might help them get some experience. Perhaps adding a more experienced not participating player to the game to ask questions. Even witout someone to ask newbee games make sence. Since all will be interested in learning and it is more likely all will be allowed to expand.

---------------------------------

It would also be an advantage if the newbees have got a chance to learn to build up there fleet/economy.

Many players can improve in one way or another in the way they build and expand. In general to small and to slow. This part could probaly be teached by having 2 or 3 players with different playing styles play the first 20 turns in the same position.

If it was possiable for the new players to play the turns themself before downloading the exsamples to learn from, much could be teached that way. This will let new players learn the basic by themself.
Regards,

Captain Blood

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#6 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:32 pm

FLETCH wrote::asshole2:

:flip:
I KNEW that would draw the vermin out of the rock it was hiding under.... :wink:

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#7 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Captain Blood wrote:I like the idea of having some of the more experienced players introducing people to the combat/diplomatic part of the game. It could be done like (as) suggested above.

Another possibility than mixing new/experienced players in the same game. Was to run shorter games like 50-60 turns for new players, it might help them get some experience. Perhaps adding a more experienced not participating player to the game to ask questions. Even witout someone to ask newbee games make sence. Since all will be interested in learning and it is more likely all will be allowed to expand.

---------------------------------

It would also be an advantage if the newbees have got a chance to learn to build up there (their) fleet/economy.

Many players can improve in one way or another in the way they build and expand. In general to (too) small and to (too)slow. This part could probaly be teached (taught) by having 2 or 3 players with different playing styles play the first 20 turns in the same position.

If it was possiable for the new players to play the turns themself (themselves) before downloading the exsamples to learn from, much could be teached (taught) that way. This will let new players learn the basic by themself (themselves).
Godaamit! I'm going to contact your primary school teacher and then there will be HELL to pay! :lol:

User avatar
Captain Blood
Posts: 294

Post#8 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Fortunently not my natural language or I might be :oops: .

I will try to remember the mistakes. Thanks!
Regards,

Captain Blood

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#9 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Captain Blood wrote:Fortunently not my natural language or I might be :oops: .

I will try to remember the mistakes. Thanks!
You are doing well dude. It's the only language I speak, so the fact that you are speaking more than one makes you way smarter than me.

Your ideas have merit

User avatar
wasp
Posts: 424

Post#10 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:02 am

I think i would prefer a game where the tutors don't play. Otherwise it could happen they would fight some other tutors, instead of giving advice.

Instead of a training it could also be a normal game. Any player could participate, but for newbye players there would be someone outside the game tutoring them.

It would have access to the game files and would tell them what to do.

For every purpose it would allmost be this experienced players doing the turn and playing themselves, but not so, because they would advice an action and explain that advice.

In the definition of the game there would be a flag near any player with a tutor. But i don't think the name of the tutor should be known, or maybe it should....

ricardo carvalho

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#11 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:03 pm

i like the idea too, but i also try to limit myself strictly in the number of simultaneous games. but anyone who wants some advice just needs to ask.
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#12 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:22 pm

wasp wrote:I think i would prefer a game where the tutors don't play. Otherwise it could happen they would fight some other tutors, instead of giving advice.

Instead of a training it could also be a normal game. Any player could participate, but for newbye players there would be someone outside the game tutoring them.

It would have access to the game files and would tell them what to do.

For every purpose it would allmost be this experienced players doing the turn and playing themselves, but not so, because they would advice an action and explain that advice.

In the definition of the game there would be a flag near any player with a tutor. But i don't think the name of the tutor should be known, or maybe it should....

ricardo carvalho
If, as you say, the tutors don't play - then why have a special game. Seems to me that it would perhaps be easier and more flexible to simply have a list of ppl who are happy to assist with newer players, when and if they need that help.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4941
Contact:

Post#13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:28 pm

Cardno wrote: Seems to me that it would perhaps be easier and more flexible to simply have a list of ppl who are happy to assist with newer players, when and if they need that help.
Not a bad idea at all. As long as it doesn't get too demanding in terms of time commitments, I'd be willing to help out a fledgling Klingon.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
wasp
Posts: 424

Post#14 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

I think there should be some obligation on the part of the tutors. Anyone can hask for help in the forums.

Don't forget that my idea is for the tutor to have access to the game files and participate. Not just enter when someone has doubts.

Otherwise i'm forced to ask every turn, what should i do. My idea is to have someone saying what to do and why.

ricardo carvalho

User avatar
Cardno
Posts: 3706
Contact:

Post#15 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:45 pm

wasp wrote:I think there should be some obligation on the part of the tutors. Anyone can hask for help in the forums.

Don't forget that my idea is for the tutor to have access to the game files and participate. Not just enter when someone has doubts.

Otherwise i'm forced to ask every turn, what should i do. My idea is to have someone saying what to do and why.

ricardo carvalho
Dude - there are already three ppl (I think) who have volunteered to help. If you want to 'formalise' things a little more, perhaps there can be a list of ppl on the site somewhere who are willing to help - and some kind of flag system or something which indicates their avaliability.

All you need to do to get help is to set it up for your rst to be sent to the dude giving you a hand. If you are currently in a game and want some help - then just yell out.

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron