Buddy program

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Post#46 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Well I have to admit, we have some beautiful rocks. Some people see the potential with a little hard work, others just see the hard work. Looks like the Dutch missed out here. :wink:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

B A N E

Re: Buddy program

Post#47 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:50 pm

wasp wrote:Hi all

I would like to sugest something. For those who are allways in the low positions and allways wondering how does the first placers are able to advance so fast, I would like to have a training game.

Several players enter a game, but they have some very senior, and in a high position, to tutor him. It would have access to the game data and give sugestions such as build these, move here with caution because of... I'm not saying giving away tactics, because most of them come from special situations... but giving free and good advice about how to progress in a game.

What do you think?

ricardo carvalho
Here's my 2c.
The last time I tried a mentor game was at www.thestarbase.net.
For me, it was monumentally frustrating.
I should have taken Fletch up on his suggestion of him being my trainee.
It would have made for a much better experience for all involved.
I declined because I thought it would be unfair to the other teams.

Instead, I was paired with a new player that just didn't seem to get
VGAP. So, unless the mentor has some knowledge of the trainee, it
is a recipe for disaster.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

FLETCH

Post#48 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Well BANE I'm glad you finally saw the light.
I told you your game would improve if you just spent a little time listening to what I have to offer, but I guess you just weren't ready at that time. I was even considerate of your feelings and willing to let you call me the trainee. Well unfortunately my game card is now full.
Come and see me in a couple of months when Inf2 is finished and I'll see if I have the time to help you out. :wink:

:lmao:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Tei

Post#49 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:02 pm

I've had a position sent to me for critique once from a game I wasn't in. This seems easier since it is a one time commitment.

I am also willing to help a new player in a game that I'm in if they ask for advice. I may even suspend an attack if asked nicely. :twisted:

wasp

Post#50 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 am

My idea of a buddy program was because i don't know how to start as well as the others. And i'm not sure what to do in the begining. In the mid game when i allready have ships and planets and the shiplimit has reached, i can decide which tactic is best and where to move my ships.

But the begining was allways hard for me. Maybe i'm a slow learner or can't give the game the time it deserves (RL allways has the last say).

I thought others had the same feelings. And that was one of the reasons i decided to ask for it.
The other reason was that i gave some teaching recently to people who knew little about a small program. And i felt that the teaching i was giving them was useful and that they learned. If they hadn't learned it this way, they would learn but in a much harder way.

I wonder how many people that responded here are new/novice players, and how many are veterans.
And when i need help i don't know who can i ask for help...

thank you

ricardo carvalho

B A N E

Post#51 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:17 am

Wasp,

All the players that responded in this thread are vets with different
lengths of time and numbers of games played.

As for how to choose your early moves? That is a difficult question
and the answers vary with race and initial starting conditions.

As for asking for help, many will answer either here in forum or via
PM or email.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

planetmaker

Post#52 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi,
wasp wrote:My idea of a buddy program was because i don't know how to start as well as the others. And i'm not sure what to do in the begining.
the first turns till the ship limit are indeed the hardes - and given my playing style also the most time consuming: I want to get going as fast as possible, grabbing as many ressources as possible and builing as good and big a fleet as possible. Keeping neighours in check till your fleet is evolved is something else which needs to be taken care of at the same time. As ressources are scarce initially, I usually go great length to calculate which ressources are available at which time in order to build the best ships. At the same time: get your colonists away from the homeworld, start with big freighters and give some planets (ressource and/or native rich) a kick-start. Don't wait to ship those colonists till you found the idea planet - colonists are needed everywhere :) - and you might have shiped them then already half way.

Maybe it's an idea to publish the rsts or vpa database(s) of past games?

wasp

Post#53 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 am

I don't think anyone wants go give secrets away. Few people write about the game in the end. and when they do they don't explain the tactics... so that others can't copy them

ricardo carvalho

B A N E

Post#54 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:59 am

wasp wrote:I don't think anyone wants go give secrets away. Few people write about the game in the end. and when they do they don't explain the tactics... so that others can't copy them

ricardo carvalho
That is an incorrect assumption.
Some players guard their tactics very closely.
Some players believe it gives them an edge and they want to keep it.
It's a valid POV.

Others, like me, will share the tactics/tricks they know.
I have pretty much seen it all and from my POV, in sharing,
I hope to elevate the general player skill level.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#55 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am

B A N E wrote:Others, like me, will share the tactics/tricks they know.
I have pretty much seen it all and from my POV, in sharing,
I hope to elevate the general player skill level.
Which we appreciate, btw.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#56 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 am

Sharing tactis sometimes, helps improve a tactic altogether.
Most tactis have been hashed out, written about, time and time again. Sometimes forgotten and rediscovered.
Stratigies is a different, but even those its just tweaking to taste, things that have been done for yrs.
I have been part of these types of games before, both as the padawan and the Master. Biggest problem is when you have a padawan that thinks he has read and KNOWS what he is doing already or a Master that has been doing it his way for YRS and doesn't want to change. All it takes is for one team out of 5 to really miss things up, for the entire game.

I have a tactic that I only share with a small group, only works with the right 2 races, its not knew, it has been imporved on, and the person who taught the trick to me, had no idea it could be improved on. He set up his own test game to prove it, as he had been doing it "x" way for yrs, and just knew my way wouldn't work, its hard to teach a old goat new tricks. and no it all newbies, are even a BIGGER pain.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

wasp

Post#57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 pm

So, from what i gather here the best way is to ask.... but to whom? i don't feel like confortable to ask someone which is not on the game or that i don't know if he has time for me.

ricardo

Cherek

Post#58 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Why do you have to ask someone in the game? In all the years that VGAP has been around, more than one person has had same experience or something very close to it. You are only hurting yourself by not asking the question.

CM has three good places in the forum to post your questions, the first one is "Intel", the another is "Ask Cherek" and then you could also post in the game forum. I can almost guarantee that if you post a question in any of those forums, someone will give you an answer. You might even start a good debate on which way to do something is better.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#59 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Things to consider:

Current active game:
If the event is about to happen, it is probably best to ask via PM
or email a specific question.

If the event is already past, then I see no reason to not post the
question in an open forum.

Old Game:
Post all the details and open it all up for discussion.
Post how it started, how it was addressed, what resulted.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#60 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:05 pm

wasp wrote:I don't think anyone wants go give secrets away. Few people write about the game in the end. and when they do they don't explain the tactics... so that others can't copy them

ricardo carvalho
I've said I would help you - my email is brentcardno@gmail.com

If you want help, send me some more details there, or the rst from your game.

Return to “Game Suggestions”