A possibly stupid idea....

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

A possibly stupid idea....

Post#1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:45 pm

We all get frustrated when people leave their turn to the last minute. I know I do....

So - what about a game where the host runs when all turns but one are in? if you're the last - you lose out - and it serves you right for being a lazy bum....

If more than one turn is missing - the host runs at host time.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1029

Post#2 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:25 am

Hey Gil, your idea certainly has merit, and I'd be keen for a game if I wasnt involved in three already. I had the same idea a while back, kind of like playing a musical chairs style of game. :)

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Re: A possibly stupid idea....

Post#3 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:We all get frustrated when people leave their turn to the last minute. I know I do....

So - what about a game where the host runs when all turns but one are in? if you're the last - you lose out - and it serves you right for being a lazy bum....

If more than one turn is missing - the host runs at host time.
If you are saying when there are 2-3 days left before host run, and 10 out of 11 are in, Yes. But there are lots of times where, the game is moving along and somebody stuck at work, and the rst came in the same day, or its a weekend and not everybody has time to do turns during, the very busy, family weekend time, that game would punish somebody for no reason. Inf is a good example of how a player could get punished for no reason as well. When I was driving the Gorn out of the game, he would make one, and miss another. As a Tholian and as a Pirate there are lots of times you wait for your victem to send in his turn or wait and see if he is going to miss it. I do one thinking he is going to make it, and start another one with him missing or the CPU player.

What I would like to see is another daily M-F game, or a game that STAYS at 3 times a week. None of this slowing down to 2 turns a week crap. Most games come to a crawl when, it changes from 3 aweek to 2 a week.
Last edited by Shardin5 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Re: A possibly stupid idea....

Post#4 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Enemy#1 wrote: Most games come to a crawl when, it changes from 3 aweek to 2 a week.
What is with that anyway? Unnatural was pounding along great for a while - we had a couple of days with two runs. Then someone had some trouble getting turns in and we had a little wobble, but when it slowed to 2X it really crashed.

If I was playing 3X I could only handle one game at a time, but it might be worth it.

1X really sucks....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Re: A possibly stupid idea....

Post#5 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote: Most games come to a crawl when, it changes from 3 aweek to 2 a week.
What is with that anyway? Unnatural was pounding along great for a while - we had a couple of days with two runs. Then someone had some trouble getting turns in and we had a little wobble, but when it slowed to 2X it really crashed.

If I was playing 3X I could only handle one game at a time, but it might be worth it.

1X really sucks....
I wont play in a 1x week game. Tried it once, refuse to do it again. There is another website that slows down all games to once a week after turn 60. I wont play there.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#6 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:11 pm

Me either.

As it is I'm going to forget what I'm doing in Unnatural and Destitute by the time they start up again.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#7 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Me either.

As it is I'm going to forget what I'm doing in Unnatural and Destitute by the time they start up again.
maybe we really should increase turn rate in unnatural to 3x again... I am beginning to like that idea somehow. Maybe it is the increased relaxation dropping in right now :D
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#8 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:58 pm

hennef wrote:
maybe we really should increase turn rate in unnatural to 3x again... I am beginning to like that idea somehow. Maybe it is the increased relaxation dropping in right now :D
Image :fighting18: Are you kidding me? You are usually the last one with your turn on 2X per week.... :evil:

You're so relaxed you're practically comatose.... :P
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Wintermute
Posts: 149
Contact:

Post#9 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:27 pm

See what you seem to forget is it is deer season here in the great cold state of Virginia. Gotta balance the chance to eat some poor defenseless animal against getting my turns in early. Though i am a little tempted to join a game with the terms listed. I would offer that within 5 hours of the second to last turn, then the host runs or some time limit. I mean it would suck to get near simultaneous turns in and yours gets bumped.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#10 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:45 am

nm
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Wintermute
Posts: 149
Contact:

Post#11 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:13 pm

So the more I sat in the woods, freezing my tail off, I started to really like the idea. It would be kind of exciting to have to race to get your trn in. Would definitely speed up the game. Eitherway, if there is an open game, there will be players who sign up for it. BTW, bambi has yet to show himself this year.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#12 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

Please don't kill anything. You don't need to do it.....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Logain
Posts: 720

Post#13 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:26 am

Wow! Interesting perspective from a Klingon? Tell me it ain't so... :shock:

Seriously, if you've ever seen starving deer because they were allowed to overpopulate, it's not a pretty sight. Thanks to human encroachment on their turf, most of the predators are gone. Unfortunately, the deer didn't get the memo and keep reproducing as fast as they can. The biggest threat to deer around here has four wheels and moves about 70 mph.

Sorry for the rant. :roll:

User avatar
Logain
Posts: 720

Post#14 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:28 am

Now back to the topic at hand... Sounds like a great way to make a blitz game keep moving :D

User avatar
Havok
Site Admin
Posts: 7557
Contact:

Post#15 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:33 am

Hmmmmmmm
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Game Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron