A possibly stupid idea....

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#16 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:13 am

Logain wrote:Wow! Interesting perspective from a Klingon? Tell me it ain't so... :shock:

Seriously, if you've ever seen starving deer because they were allowed to overpopulate, it's not a pretty sight. Thanks to human encroachment on their turf, most of the predators are gone. Unfortunately, the deer didn't get the memo and keep reproducing as fast as they can. The biggest threat to deer around here has four wheels and moves about 70 mph.

Sorry for the rant. :roll:
Yeah I should stay off those kinds of posts. I'm a pretty strong opponent of hunting, but it's just my perspective. Sorry guys. Back to Planets....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#17 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:01 pm

I have an option for this type of game. A time trigger of sorts.
After the 10 turn is in, 12hrs(could be 8hrs) the game runs.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#18 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:I have an option for this type of game. A time trigger of sorts.
After the 10 turn is in, 12hrs(could be 8hrs) the game runs.
I like that better than my first idea....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#19 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Glad you understood what I meant.
After the 10th player turn is recieved, than "X" Hours later the game runs.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#20 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:Glad you understood what I meant.
After the 10th player turn is recieved, than "X" Hours later the game runs.
What if someone else re-submits a turn? Strategy in this situation could alter depending on who looks like they might miss. Potentially someone could get their turn in early then sit back to see if their enemy is getting a turn in, and changing their turn if it looks like the enemy is going to miss. Would the turn clock then re-start at another 12 hours?

I still think it's a good idea, just wondering how it would work....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#21 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:15 pm

The thought was, 11 players in a game, once 10 out of 11 turns are in, countdown clockstarts for the next hosting. It wouldn't restart, as the trigger would be 10 turns in, somebody resending in a turn, wouldn't change it as there would still be 10 turns in.
I have seen count down clocks at other sites, but they just count down from hosting to hosting.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:53 pm

OK - that's good...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Wintermute

Post#23 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 pm

See I like the original idea better. I was thinking there could be some sort of reward based on the time of your trn submission. Say first one in gets 1k of supplies or some other resource based on a friendly code. Now if i just new how to code an addin. the last guy not only misses his trn but doesn't reap the reward of being in quick. This would also reduce the resubmission issue you just brought up.

Though i think we're addressing two difference scenarios. In this case the game is based around not being last and the other you're looking to drop those constantly last trn in guys (myself included).

Gilgamesh

Post#24 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Wintermute wrote: Say first one in gets 1k of supplies or some other resource based on a friendly code.
It's a good idea but too easy to cheat it. Move one ship and send in the turn to get the reward, then finish your turn and send it in again later.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#25 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Wintermute wrote: Say first one in gets 1k of supplies or some other resource based on a friendly code.
It's a good idea but too easy to cheat it. Move one ship and send in the turn to get the reward, then finish your turn and send it in again later.
Think about several other players doing that also, and you do a full turn. It would be quite possible that you are the only one to get a full turn in. :D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#26 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:50 pm

True but I'd also imagine that the one-ship movers would start on their full turns immediately after sending in.

Depending on where you live in the world the hostrun time would be critical. It might almost become a blitz game under it's own momentum.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Wintermute

Post#27 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh yeah, of course it would become a very fast paced game. The thought I had to prevent the resent full trn would just be based on the time stamp of the last trn a player submitted and not necessarily the first one in. Oh well just a thought.

ldam

Re: A possibly stupid idea....

Post#28 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 am

Gilgamesh wrote:We all get frustrated when people leave their turn to the last minute. I know I do....

So - what about a game where the host runs when all turns but one are in? if you're the last - you lose out - and it serves you right for being a lazy bum....

If more than one turn is missing - the host runs at host time.
Sounds good. A nicer variant is host runs no later than e.g. 12h after the secondlast trn is in, which gives a chance to the last player to send his turn.

12 hours is so that the player has a chance to know it (timezones and all). Perhaps send him an email that it's now or never...

kr. ld

Vodenkugels

Post#29 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 pm

-12 hrs after 2nd to last turn is in seems best. All time zones are accommodated- time could be shortened essentially in half -or better.
As a self employed individual i get time just not on a regular basis-however receiving an email that the ticker ha started would be fair warning to Git er done,

Great idea
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Return to “Game Suggestions”