Alpha Quadrant 2.0 Released!

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#31 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Shardin5 wrote:Havok's in?!?!?!?!!?! I get the Tholians, and place me as his Neighbor.
Ugh that was a horrible game. :)
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#32 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Logain wrote:Sounds like a game the great ][avok should join...
Probably not. I'm in NF68 right now.
Regards,
][avok

FLETCH

Post#33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 am

Might I also suggest that this game run Teleport but NOT Starbase+. SB+ Is what allowed the unsavoury events to happen in the last AQ I played...

Also Giveplan can be a dangerous proposition in Borg hands.

Just throwing a few observations around :wink:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#34 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:00 am

GivePlan won't be in the next game.
Regards,
][avok

Gavan

Post#35 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Havok,

Have you given any thoughts to the game config? (loki decloaks birdmen as an example)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#36 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 am

Gavan wrote:Havok,

Have you given any thoughts to the game config? (loki decloaks birdmen as an example)
No I haven't. Been real busy on this side. Had some car problems, etc.

To be honest, I don't think the Loki de-cloaks birdmen would fly at all. That really hurts the birdmen and would probably cause that player slot to remain vacant.
Regards,
][avok

Gavan

Post#37 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:33 am

Yes that loki setting made a large difference in the last AQ game I played (and it was set so that loki's could decloak birdmen)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Logain

Post#38 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 am

Gavan wrote:Yes that loki setting made a large difference in the last AQ game I played (and it was set so that loki's could decloak birdmen)
And that setting wasn't appreciated one bit either... :D

Havok
Site Admin

Post#39 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 am

Logain wrote:
Gavan wrote:Yes that loki setting made a large difference in the last AQ game I played (and it was set so that loki's could decloak birdmen)
And that setting wasn't appreciated one bit either... :D
99.9% of the time I don't use that setting. It's been a while since I setup my last AQ game and I don't recall if that's part of the scenario or not.

If it was my judgment call though, and only saying if, I would leave that feature disabled. It hurts the Birdmen to much IMOP. They pretty much have nothing without stealth.
Regards,
][avok

FLETCH

Post#40 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am

The Birds are somewhat stronger in this scenario.

With the multiple race abilities that were being used in AQ3 the Loki decloaking Birds was one of the few things that made them have to think a little harder about tactics.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#41 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 am

I'm sure Matt will catch this tread and respond later.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that the loki option was turned on by him when he designed it.
Regards,
][avok

Raven2

Post#42 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 am

While we're talking about HConfig settings, Klingon and Ferrengi should be immune to NUK/ATT. Setting it otherwise almost completely negates their racial abilities.
Agree with some method of limiting allies. (Wish that had been the case in AQ1!) 8)
Also agree with no Giveplan. That will eliminate many of the points of contention in previous AQ games, and will also limit the power of alliances, forcing players to rely more on their own skills than on the power of their allies.
>>> Raven <<<

Raven2

Post#43 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 am

Logain wrote:
Raven2 wrote: I smell a rematch in the making....
Yeah... But are you with me or against me :?: Should be interesting either way.

I agree with the proposal for a one-ally game. These games can rapidly devolve into an us vs them scenario out of pure desperation. Makes it a little more important on who you choose for your ally because that's who you'll live... or die with! Big decision in this scenario.
I'll refrain from the "with or against" issue until we see the tactical situation. Yeah, it will definitely be interesting. Kinda looking forward to pitting my skills against one of the best VGAP strategic planners I've ever encountered! If we end up as adversaries, I'll have to go WAY outside my tactical box. But, we'll see how it shakes out.
>>> Raven <<<

Klauser

Post#44 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 pm

FLETCH wrote:The Birds are somewhat stronger in this scenario.

With the multiple race abilities that were being used in AQ3 the Loki decloaking Birds was one of the few things that made them have to think a little harder about tactics.
FLETCH is absolutely right. The Romulans are much tougher in the AQ shiplist than your standard Tim shiplist, so the LOKI delcoaking them is a necessary balance.

Based on some VGAP history lessons BANE passed on to me, the Birdmen were heavily nerfed from earlier versions. For whatever reason, Tim Wisseman chose to add the HCONFIG setting to make them immune to the LOKI as a balance rather than beefing the Birds back up. I chose the opposite approach with AQ ( and SFB for that matter).
Raven2 wrote:While we're talking about HConfig settings, Klingon and Ferrengi should be immune to NUK/ATT. Setting it otherwise almost completely negates their racial abilities..
Hmmm ... I may have to relook at that. I thought I had the Klingons and Ferengi set to "Immune to NUK/ATT. "
Havok wrote: GivePlan won't be in the next game.
I'm a real fan of GIVEPLAN, but truth be told I was not following some of the abusive strategies that developed using GIVEPLAN.

And since the AQ shiplist is not dependent on any add-on - killing GIVEPLAN works for me.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Raven2

Post#45 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:44 am

Klauser wrote: I'm a real fan of GIVEPLAN, but truth be told I was not following some of the abusive strategies that developed using GIVEPLAN.
Klauser, if you didn't follow the strategy, then how can you call it abusive?
>>> Raven <<<

Return to “Game Suggestions”