Creating Criteria/guideline for voting to end a game.

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#16 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Interesting to re-read that thread. Thanks Bane.

Seems like little has changed.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

akshamu

Post#17 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
casebolt wrote:We dont need more laws, we need less laws .

Do away with the Vote all together so Gil cant ruin anymore games.
I haven't ruined anything. I've either called for a vote or voted in one, all according to the rules of the game. If the rules change as a result of this discussion, fine. But we talked a lot the last time this all came up and nothing changed.
Gil, If I were you I would begin to wonder if there isn't a little bit of descrimination against Canadians????? :lol: just kidding
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Gilgamesh

Post#18 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm

akshamu wrote: Gil, If I were you I would begin to wonder if there isn't a little bit of descrimination against Canadians????? :lol: just kidding
Everyone hates me because of all the glitches in the Olympics!!!!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

casebolt

Post#19 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Canada will be absorbed into the American Empire soon enough.

akshamu

Post#20 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm

casebolt wrote:Canada will be absorbed into the American Empire soon enough.

There goes the American Empire then...... everyone knows that all Canadians are good for is drinking beer
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Gilgamesh

Post#21 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

akshamu wrote:
casebolt wrote:Canada will be absorbed into the American Empire soon enough.
There goes the American Empire then...... everyone knows that all Canadians are good for is drinking beer
Said "absorbtion" was attempted in 1812. Didn't go that well for you guys.... :P
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Well - as discussions go this one seems to be fizzling...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Akalabeth

Post#23 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 am

Personally I would just put a turn limit on when votes can happen.
120 turn game. Maybe turn 90 is the minimum amount of time required for voting to take place.

I mean yeah you can have like 4-5 conditions but who'll enforce all of them? Are you going to have players periodically checking the boards to see if condition A,B,C,D or E is satisfied and a vote is possible???? Vote to ends should be a product of the game not a product of player motivation in my opinion. Even in someone isn't enjoying the game, keep in mind that the other 10 players have been playing this game for months already so let them play it. So rather than having a player who isn't enjoying the game check for the conditions to call a vote every turn, why not just have the vote be automatic.

Another problem with the current voting process, and for this I'll use NF65 as an example. The vote is not blind. People's choice of vote may be affected more by how other people are voting rather than their actual perspective on the game. People are influenced by other people's opinions, that's a fact of life, and it's equally a fact in any sort of thread-based vote.

The easiest way to vote is to simply have an in-game vote in my opinion. Though it requires that everyone both read and play that specific turn.

Maybe even have something like Master of Orion. Where a vote takes place on a regular period. Just like in how in MOO you'd have some periodic emperor vote.

So turn 90 say is Vote#1.
Then every what . . . 15-20 turns after that? It should be enough time that the face of the game has potentially changed.

Votes could be called by either a conscientious player or by some sort of simple add-on utility that sends out a message at the appropriate time (ie turn 89). Though, I wouldn't know how to write such a beast myself.

Anyway there's my 2 cents.

Shardin5

Post#24 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 pm

I agree, that there should be a MINIMUM amount of turns in a game prior to a vote.
I think alot of the hard feelings oneway or another, is making sure somebody just doesn't get surprised. I don't think any game needs to reach 4-5 triggers, it could just reach one, and that could cause vote.

In a 125 turn game turn 90 is a good minimum. If a game is set to 75, most players will jump on the quick start races, as its harder for the slower developing races to Win in 75 turns, 125 turns gives the slower developing races a far chance, and turn90 a runaway game by the top 3 would make a lot on sense, its really hard to change things in 25-30 turns in a runaway.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Captain Blood

Post#25 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 am

A game should end when the winner and position 2 and 3 is setled.

No need to play for 75, 90 or 125 turns if game is decided at turn 50.

The lead need to be so large that it is obvius no one have a chance to get ahead of that player.

Looking at the score tabel give a good indication on how the game is developing. So it is not so hard to figure when a game should end.

It is no reason to end that players who got beaten want it to end, if others are still fighting to win the game. Assuming those fighting can actually change the top 3. Just being thick headed don´t give the right to waste other players time.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Gilgamesh

Post#26 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm with the Captain....

I would live with a minimum turns before a vote if I had to, but really if it's a wrap by turn 50, why play out another 40 turns just to hit some arbitrary requirement. People will drop the game.

I don't see any way to change this that won't result in more headaches for ][avok. Right now he is having to monitor an email based re-vote on a vote that was already taken. I think we ask enough of ][avok as it is, we don't have any reason or right to expect more from the guy.

Leave it as is.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

casebolt

Post#27 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I agree with him to, looks like place 2nd and 3rd was not settled in this game. So why did you and you friend bring up the Vote?

What game do you want to play now?

Gilgamesh

Post#28 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I didn't post the vote - Paladin did. Ask him....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

casebolt

Post#29 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm

He was part of your team, his first post references you being part of that message when he said someone allready did not like their race( thread about you not likeing your race to go along with that). You quickly responded and said End It!

I responded LOL,,,

This is not about one person( Pirate) decideing to bring up the vote, this was a instant team vote that you are part of so stop tring to act as if it was news to you.

Truth be known you had to talk him into posting the vote because you had allready trashed 2 games with the Vote.

Talk about wasteing time, Havok has to take time to role extra games to fill the void of free players, look at votes, and all the players time vested in games you support in ending. People if allowed could PLAY it out if they were left alone and if you want to drop , then just drop.

So LOL,,,what game do you want to play now.

Gilgamesh

Post#30 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Can we get a "block" feature on this forum? I can only take so much drivel in one day...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Game Suggestions”