Creating Criteria/guideline for voting to end a game.

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#76 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Akalabeth wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
Well clearly you didn't read back in the thread to get your facts straight....

Original vote - 7-3 = 10 players, exactly the number we had in the game.
Seriously did you NOT read anything?

Shardin emailed one of the players.
That player DID NOT VOTE ON THE FORUM.

So unless he voted after the fact, and didn't tell anyone, then someone NOT INVOLVED IN THE GAME VOTED.

Just because we have 10 votes and there are 10 players doesn't mean those 10 votes are by those 10 players.
If you're really really upset about this, ask ][avok to check the forum logs and see who voted. I for one don't think there are that many jerks on CM, but maybe I should rethinnk that...

I'm fed up with accusation without proof. I'm fed up with theory thrown out there as if it was a fact. Here's some theories for you - ][avok may have gotten an email from the person that is not on the forum and entered their vote for them. The person may have asked another person to vote by proxy. If you want to make accusations, show me some proof.

I'm taking a break. This place isn't worth it these days. Carry on without me boys. Go make the vote process wonderful. I have better things to do.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Akalabeth

Post#77 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Scenario 1. A highly unlikely but statistically not totally impossible scenario I suppose. Hardly frequent enough to change the system over Still, going with it for a moment, I credit people on CM with the ability to think for themselves. If they want to vote no and they see 5 voting yes I wouldn't make the assumption that they are so weak minded as to blindly follow the crowd.
It's not about being weak minded, it's about accepting the REALITY that people are influenced by information and the opinions of others.

Hell why do you think the media and political parties focuses so much on opinion polls during elections?

Why do you think people read game reviews before they go out and purchase the latest thing to hit the market?

Player C in my scenario isn't weak minded either. They simply haven't made up their mind at the time of the vote. Maybe in another game they'd know which way they voting.

And split votes statistically unlikely? With my vote for NF65 the end result was 5-4. Ie, a decision where only one vote made the difference. Such close results will happen all the time. There's only 11 players after all.

Akalabeth

Post#78 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Gilgamesh wrote: I'm fed up with accusation without proof. I'm fed up with theory thrown out there as if it was a fact. Here's some theories for you - ][avok may have gotten an email from the person that is not on the forum and entered their vote for them. The person may have asked another person to vote by proxy. If you want to make accusations, show me some proof.
Proof? What about the email from Hoodlum? Is that not proof??????????
You're the one making up completely out of the blue scenarios based on nothing (maybe player X emailed havok and told him to vote for him instead). If you want proof why doesn't someone email Hoodlum a second time and ask him if he ever cast his vote on the forum.

And whether or not in the end the vote was cast by him or not is irrespective of the fact that it CAN happen in the current system.

I'm not even sure why you're involved in this discussion anyway. It's been clear from your first post you're opposed to any change so why are you continuing? What's the point of a discussion if people aren't open to the possibilities that something can be better to the current system, and that the current system has flaws and the POTENTIAL for misuse.

PS - And I'm not "REALLY REALLY upset" about anything. I'm just talking. You and Shardin are the ones getting heated and taking it personal. I don't give a damn about NF65. It's just used as an example. As far as I'm concerned its just one less game to play.

Logain

Post#79 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Gilgamesh wrote: I'm taking a break. This place isn't worth it these days. Carry on without me boys. Go make the vote process wonderful. I have better things to do.
You will be missed. Come back to join us for the next AQ scenario.

Shardin5

Post#80 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Akalabeth wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote: I'm fed up with accusation without proof. I'm fed up with theory thrown out there as if it was a fact. Here's some theories for you - ][avok may have gotten an email from the person that is not on the forum and entered their vote for them. The person may have asked another person to vote by proxy. If you want to make accusations, show me some proof.
Proof? What about the email from Hoodlum? Is that not proof??????????
You're the one making up completely out of the blue scenarios based on nothing (maybe player X emailed havok and told him to vote for him instead). If you want proof why doesn't someone email Hoodlum a second time and ask him if he ever cast his vote on the forum.

And whether or not in the end the vote was cast by him or not is irrespective of the fact that it CAN happen in the current system.

I'm not even sure why you're involved in this discussion anyway. It's been clear from your first post you're opposed to any change so why are you continuing? What's the point of a discussion if people aren't open to the possibilities that something can be better to the current system, and that the current system has flaws and the POTENTIAL for misuse.

PS - And I'm not "REALLY REALLY upset" about anything. I'm just talking. You and Shardin are the ones getting heated and taking it personal. I don't give a damn about NF65. It's just used as an example. As far as I'm concerned its just one less game to play.
Actually I am not that upset, I just want to ensure this doesn't happen again, not just the voting, but the surprise poll as well. I don't know about you, but the Poll caught me by surprise, nobody was talking about, most of the chat was more taunting, about upcoming fighting, the REAL fighting had JUST started, and BAM a poll.
All this could come to an end with a set of Critera, those aren't rules, just critera, so a player can see a poll coming, and keep players from abusing the system.

I have no problem though pointing out to Gil or anybody the real history, no matter how much he wants to ignore it. I love how somepeople ask for proof, you give them proof, and they find a different tangent to go on to avoid it. May have to repost his pwn acknowledgement that the open poll was flawed.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Akalabeth

Post#81 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am

Well hey Christmas Chaos, someone just called a vote and it's turn 52! hahahahaha.

In retrospect the vote wasn't that surprising, since the Privateers had contacted me for a few turns prior to that, presumably with the desire to bring me into the fold. But at that point I had like 2 ships? What am I going to do? Casebolt also tried to bring me to their side via the forums, but yeah, thanks I'm not going to be a support mechanism for anyone else. Haul your own damn clans hahhahaa.

But at the time, I was a little surprised by the vote. I wasn't really involved in the action, Gilgamesh took care of most of my crappy fleet, but I thought for the rest of you it was just heating up.

Personally if I'm invovled in a game, the action for me doesn't start until after the shiplimit. It's then that people can have their fleets built up and get into some really heavy brawling with carrier groups and battleship flotillas. KAPOW!

I don't really get the "I had a fight on the forum, I'm going to quit playing VGAP now" idea though. If you don't like the forum then don't visit the forum or just don't get involved in these discussions. He was the second post in this thread, which is pretty eager for someone who was sick of this discussion in the other thread. But anyway, to each their own.

Shardin5

Post#82 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:56 am

Akalabeth wrote:Well hey Christmas Chaos, someone just called a vote and it's turn 52! hahahahaha.

In retrospect the vote wasn't that surprising, since the Privateers had contacted me for a few turns prior to that, presumably with the desire to bring me into the fold. But at that point I had like 2 ships? What am I going to do? Casebolt also tried to bring me to their side via the forums, but yeah, thanks I'm not going to be a support mechanism for anyone else. Haul your own damn clans hahhahaa.

But at the time, I was a little surprised by the vote. I wasn't really involved in the action, Gilgamesh took care of most of my crappy fleet, but I thought for the rest of you it was just heating up.

Personally if I'm invovled in a game, the action for me doesn't start until after the shiplimit. It's then that people can have their fleets built up and get into some really heavy brawling with carrier groups and battleship flotillas. KAPOW!

I don't really get the "I had a fight on the forum, I'm going to quit playing VGAP now" idea though. If you don't like the forum then don't visit the forum or just don't get involved in these discussions. He was the second post in this thread, which is pretty eager for someone who was sick of this discussion in the other thread. But anyway, to each their own.
Sorry to see Gil go, I was hoping that somebody that has suffered so much grief over this, would want to be 1st inline to want to come up with a resolution that would make it so any player would feel comfortable in bringing up a end the game vote. I guess he was to caught up in 1 detail, he missed the big picture.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

FLETCH

Post#83 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:12 am

As I said before Gil, you will be missed.

Take some time and let the VGAP withdrawals seep back in when you are ready.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

B A N E

Post#84 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Wow...this topic just cannot seem to avoid becoming personal.
:?
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#85 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:07 pm

FLETCH wrote:As I said before Gil, you will be missed.

Take some time and let the VGAP withdrawals seep back in when you are ready.
Sorry - by "this place" I mean the forum, which is getting a bit crazy. I'm actually considering the Klingons in AQ.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Game Suggestions”