Dare I say it?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Post#91 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:25 am

Logain wrote:
Be a shame if you didn't get the Klingons on the race lottery... :D
I like this idea of a race lottery - put your name in a hat, and when it gets pulled out, you can then choose your race from what's left available. It might well get some of us to step out of our comfort zones when it comes to race selection. I would suggest running the race lottery for the first 8-9 players, then once the selections have been made, open up the remaining two races to first-in-first-served.

FLETCH

Post#92 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:24 am

I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

I don't think there should be a lottery as such. We have listed our top 5 choices and I think where possible we should ALL get as close to our top pick. Not randomly pick players then they get first choice.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In fact, just to confuse Logain...

I have been thinking, for the sake of streamlining the start of this game, I will put GORN as my first choice. This way, as the preferences stand at the moment, everyone will get their first choices with no clashes.

I know Hawkeye is wanting the config confirmed before he finalises but hopefully this makes things clearer as far as almost all race picks go.

So once again that would make the picks:

Raven2 - Federation
FLETCH - Gorn
Logain - Romulans
Gilgamesh - Klingons
Akshamu - Borg
Gavan - Dominion
Hawkeye - Cardassians (?)

Leaving:
Orions
Tholians
Maquis
Ferengi
Last edited by FLETCH on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

FLETCH

Post#93 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 am

Logain do you recall whether or not I had free fighter building in AQ1? From memory I don't think I did.

I think the Cardassians can function quite well without needing to rely on that ability. This cluster becomes a very rich place before too long, I remember we had no trouble stocking ships to the max.

I WOULD be keen for there to be NO GivePlan in this one. :wink:
FLETCH

Gavan

Post#94 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 am

FLETCH wrote:Logain do you recall whether or not I had free fighter building in AQ1? From memory I don't think I did.

I think the Cardassians can function quite well without needing to rely on that ability. This cluster becomes a very rich place before too long, I remember we had no trouble stocking ships to the max.

Between the 3 fighter's per SB per turn and the no shortage of minerals and money in this game the building fighters in space will not a huge difference. (unless you can sweep mines with them)

As for Giveplan, the reason you dislike it is no longer an issue so I think we should keep the design of the game as the designer wanted it.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

FLETCH

Post#95 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:48 am

The more recent incarnation of AQ doesn't have GivePlan.

Just Teleport and Starbase+

I agree, lets stick to that :D
FLETCH

Logain

Post#96 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 am

FLETCH wrote:Logain do you recall whether or not I had free fighter building in AQ1? From memory I don't think I did.

FLETCH,

You are correct. We depended on Anubis (Maquis) for the free fighter production. It was helpful for instantly stocking new SB along the contested border with max fighters. That tactic cost Raven two NEQ'VARs if he wanted the planet back.

GIVEPLAN was very helpful when it came to working with allies in the first iteration of AQ. I think the consternation was with Raven's creative use of the Romulan SuperSpy mission in AQ3 to take advantage of the scientific advances of refugee races that was the issue. Since the Romulan is the only one with the ability to do that... if Havok says I can't reuse that tactic, it won't be an issue. Don't take GIVEPLAN off the table for that reason.

Logain

Logain

Post#97 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 am

FLETCH wrote:I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

I don't think there should be a lottery as such. We have listed our top 5 choices and I think where possible we should ALL get as close to our top pick. Not randomly pick players then they get first choice.

I agree... If the race isn't contested, no need for a lottery. That idea was based on you and Raven wanting the same top two races...
FLETCH wrote:In fact, just to confuse Logain...
I don't need your help getting confused... I have teenagers :shock:
FLETCH wrote:So once again that would make the picks:

Raven2 - Federation
FLETCH - Gorn
Logain - Romulans
Gilgamesh - Klingons
Akshamu - Borg
Gavan - Dominion

Leaving:
Orions
Tholians
Maquis
Ferengi

Can't believe no one has grabbed the Orion... I'm tempted to myself :twisted: AQ3 was probably one of my favorite games (until the end). :D

FLETCH

Post#98 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:07 am

The issues with the webmine tactic (etc) in our last AQ run are water under the bridge. Klauser made the change and removed GivePlan from the game setup for AQ4 so I think we should go with that. The scenario has been tweaked each time to hopefully make it better, I don't see the point in going backwards. Besides, GivePlan is always risky when the Borg are in play.
FLETCH

Shardin5

Post#99 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm

I will put my hat in for the
1. Tholians,
2. Klingons, (1st pick but only if Gilly Dwarf doesn't Play)

Can we tweak the max minefield setting? 75lyrs is pretty small, but at least this time I see it going in.

Logain,
Do you have a Paypal account? We are having a 25th Anniversary this year for Team Spirit '85 and Bear Hunt '85.
I need some Capt Q, Soju, some OB's and maybe Oscar.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Hawkeye

Post#100 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Shardin5 wrote: Can we tweak the max minefield setting? 75lyrs is pretty small, but at least this time I see it going in.
Seconded.

Logain

Post#101 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Shardin5 wrote: Logain,
Do you have a Paypal account? We are having a 25th Anniversary this year for Team Spirit '85 and Bear Hunt '85.
I need some Capt Q, Soju, some OB's and maybe Oscar.
Shardin,
Send me an e-mail with some details and we'll see what I can do (within reason :shock:). E-mail is on my profile.

Gilgamesh

Post#102 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Shardin5 wrote:only if Gilly Dwarf doesn't Play
"Gilly Dwarf" - hahahahahaha!!!!!!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Raven2

Post#103 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Shardin5 wrote: Can we tweak the max minefield setting? 75lyrs is pretty small, but at least this time I see it going in.
Seconded.
Again, the minefield settings are part of the scenario. Everyone seems to be in favor of playing the scenario as it was designed. The minefield settings are part of the design.
>>> Raven <<<

Raven2

Post#104 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Logain wrote:
FLETCH wrote:I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

I agree... If the race isn't contested, no need for a lottery. That idea was based on you and Raven wanting the same top two races...
FLETCH wrote:In fact, just to confuse Logain...
I don't need your help getting confused... I have teenagers :shock:
FLETCH wrote:So once again that would make the picks:

Raven2 - Federation
FLETCH - Gorn
Logain - Romulans
Gilgamesh - Klingons
Akshamu - Borg
Gavan - Dominion

Leaving:
Orions
Tholians
Maquis
Ferengi

Can't believe no one has grabbed the Orion... I'm tempted to myself :twisted: AQ3 was probably one of my favorite games (until the end). :D
No lottery works for me. Thanks Fletch, and have fun with the Gorn!
>>> Raven <<<

FLETCH

Post#105 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

To be honest I have little experience with the Gorn. Having said that, I had never played the Bots (Cardassians) before AQ1 either... look how much fun that was.

I agree, I think we need to stay as true to the latest settings of this scenario as we can. That is what makes it what it is.
FLETCH

Return to “Game Suggestions”