AQ5 Sacrilege!

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Klauser

Post#16 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Kaiser wrote:I am sorry Klauser.
I did not mean to offend.
Please forgive me.
Regards.
Kaiser.
No offense taken. And apologies back atcha if I came off too harsh.

All is forgiven, but if you feel compelled to offer up some blood-wine ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Shardin5

Post#17 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Klauser wrote:
Please forgive me.
Regards.
Kaiser.

At your age, you mean Prune Juice don't you? :twisted:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

akshamu

Post#18 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Shardin5 wrote:
Klauser wrote:
Please forgive me.
Regards.
Kaiser.

Shardin, he may be to constipated for even that to help :D
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Gilgamesh

Post#19 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Speaking on behalf of the over 50 squad, you young 'uns should respect your elders.... :static:
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Logain

Post#20 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:35 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Speaking on behalf of the over 50 squad, you young 'uns should respect your elders.... :static:
At least you guys qualify for AARP* discounts (or you would if you lived in the US). :lol: I got there by marrying an older woman... Of course, 4 years doesn't seem quite as big a difference now as it did 27 years ago :shock: Somehow, I seem to be aging at about twice the rate she is :?

(I can say that now because I'm in Korea and I know she won't be reading over my shoulder) :chair:

*AARP = American Association of Retired Persons

Klauser

Post#21 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Speaking on behalf of the over 50 squad, you young 'uns should respect your elders.... :static:
Yeah ... what the other Klingon said!!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 am

Logain wrote:
*AARP = American Association of Retired Persons
I like the Canadian version better - CARP......

Only in Canada, you say?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am

Raven2 wrote:I have to agree with Fletch and Logain.
As an additional point, part of the reason for Klauser’s upgrade to AQ2 was to eliminate a “cheating” bug related to the Maquis that really hurt innocent players. I’d hate to see that bug reappear due to hull reassignment.
While we’re on the subject, we need to decide which addons, if any, will be used. The original AQ scenario ran with Starbase+, Giveplan, and Teleport. Klauser’s AQ2 documentation indicates the following:

Addons: None required!!
Optimized for RACEPLUS & LURKERS
Also suggested: GIVEPLAN & TELEPORT

My opinions:

Starbase+ makes starbases much more formidable. This provides some additional defensive capabilities to weaker races against fleets of huge capital ships. Since AQ is VERY rich in minerals, most planets will have starbases by late game. In short, it makes invasions MUCH more difficult.

Giveplan really adds value to alliances, and so it tends to help out the weaker races by giving them a better bargaining position. It’s much easier for the Maquis, for example, to build fighters for an ally if the ally can instantly transfer a starbase to the Maquis, then surrender a ship for fighter building to the starbase. It can also put the Borg on reproductive steroids.

Teleport is very useful to all, but I think it tends to favor those who build large capital ships since it enables them to move minerals and cash where needed.

Raceplus has some good abilities, and some that are just plain useless. I’ve never played an AQ game with Raceplus, so I don’t know how the abilities match up to the new ship hulls. One ability, the Gorbie Gravity Well Generator, doesn’t appear to fit the scenario.

Lurkers has the potential to unbalance the game. In Hostile mode, the Lurkers attack the weakest race, which could very well be the Maquis or Ferrengi. In Ally mode, the Lurkers ally with a random race, which may already be a powerhouse. This is the only addon I’d object to.

I would be agreeable to any combination that does not include Lurkers. I’d also be agreeable to no addons at all.
I don't think we'll see GivePlan used again [-X
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#24 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am

Shardin5 wrote:
Klauser wrote:
Please forgive me.
Regards.
Kaiser.

Maybe some Dr. Pepper if you can't find the prune juice.
Regards,
][avok

Cardno

Borg Assimiilation Rate

Post#25 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:48 am

Hi Klauser

Despite coming into the Alpha Quadrant games as a seasoned player (I played 4 - 5 memorable turns as the Tholian in AQ3 in order to avoid the suspected {and later proven} cheater from picking it up, before dropping it as requested in order for game balance), I am trying to understand what has happened with the assimilation rate for the Borg over the course of the four games and this next game.

Please don't take this as a 'bitch' or an attempt to get more 'advantage'.

Firstly I sat down with MS Excel and worked out that if I drop 10 clans on a planet, at 5% assimilation rate, I will end up with 20 clans after almost 14 turns. So, in order to assimilate at a rate which gives me just 5 times the number of colonists I dropped, it will take 60 turns. Which kinda makes the racial ability for the borg (at 5%) to be kinda....pointless??

With some help, have assessed that the assimilation rates for previous games was:

AQ1: 5%
AQ2: 35%
AQ3: 65%
AQ4: 5%

I seem to recall that one of the reasons that the assimilation rate has been adjusted was because of the impact of GIVEPLAN. Is that right?

Comments / Thoughts?

Cheers

Logain

Re: Borg Assimiilation Rate

Post#26 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 am

Cardno wrote:Despite coming into the Alpha Quadrant games as a seasoned player (I played 4 - 5 memorable turns as the Tholian in AQ3 in order to avoid the suspected {and later proven} cheater from picking it up, before dropping it as requested in order for game balance), I am trying to understand what has happened with the assimilation rate for the Borg over the course of the four games and this next game. Cheers
I seem to remember a Tholian named Cardno in AQ1 and a Klingon with the same name in AQ2 (until I took over for you due to some family issue on your end). You're well seasoned in the Alpha Quadrant... Just not long lived :D

Raven2

Re: Borg Assimiilation Rate

Post#27 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:46 am

Cardno wrote:Hi Klauser

Despite coming into the Alpha Quadrant games as a seasoned player (I played 4 - 5 memorable turns as the Tholian in AQ3 in order to avoid the suspected {and later proven} cheater from picking it up, before dropping it as requested in order for game balance), I am trying to understand what has happened with the assimilation rate for the Borg over the course of the four games and this next game.

Please don't take this as a 'bitch' or an attempt to get more 'advantage'.

Firstly I sat down with MS Excel and worked out that if I drop 10 clans on a planet, at 5% assimilation rate, I will end up with 20 clans after almost 14 turns. So, in order to assimilate at a rate which gives me just 5 times the number of colonists I dropped, it will take 60 turns. Which kinda makes the racial ability for the borg (at 5%) to be kinda....pointless??

With some help, have assessed that the assimilation rates for previous games was:

AQ1: 5%
AQ2: 35%
AQ3: 65%
AQ4: 5%

I seem to recall that one of the reasons that the assimilation rate has been adjusted was because of the impact of GIVEPLAN. Is that right?

Comments / Thoughts?

Cheers
Klauser's HCONFIG setting for AQ 2.0:

Cyborg assimulation rate 100% ***

*** Indicates change from AQ 1
>>> Raven <<<

FLETCH

Post#28 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Just to clarify...

The config posted by Raven early in the "Dare I Say It?" thread is from AQ 2.0.

See here: viewtopic.php?t=3774&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Not to be confused with what we have been calling AQ2.

The former is the updated version of the scenario written by Klauser.

The latter is the second hosting of the amazing Alpha Quadrant scenario. The one which was scrapped due to unexplainable happenings if I remember correctly.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Gilgamesh

Post#29 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 pm

OK Fletch - you just succeded in confusing the hell out of me. Not that it takes Steven Hawkings to do that, but still.....

Hconfig from AQ 2, not to be confused with AQ 2? Whaaaaaa? :stars:

Explain this to me like I'm a 6 year old, because I often find myself thinking at that level - which one is the one we'll be using for the new (AQ5, I believe?) setup again?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#30 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

AQ2 = 2nd run of AQ here at CM.
AQ2.0 = Revised AQ scenario after previous AQs run here at CM.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Return to “Game Suggestions”