Anyone for new UnNatural Selection Game?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Would you like to play in a new UnNatural Selection game?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 am

Yes
67%
No
No votes
Perhaps
33%
Total votes: 3

Gilgamesh

Post#151 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Well - I was wavering again but with the 4000 clans 4000 mc confirmed on top of the experience thing I will definitely be skipping this one. Hopefully another US will come up sometime in the future with a different setup. Meantime - great job BM and ][avok - Have fun guys!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Hawkeye

Post#152 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:http://www.circus-maximus.com/AutoTroll/game242.htm

4.000 clans and 4,000 credits on HW to start? That will slow things down a tad, won't it? 2-3 LDSFs worth of colonists going off world and your HW is pretty much pooched.

Definitely a big boost to the Borg there....
I'm hearing ya on this one. For me, the thoughts of having a 13 bay gorbie full of free fighters going to 150% damage are tempting, but I can see that taking any race other than the Borg would be economic suicide.

I think the whole concept is fantastic, but I can see that in order to stand a chance, I'd need to be taking a specific combo of options, which then somewhat limits the point of the whole selection-thingy in the first place.

Therefore.... I think the selection criteria needs a little more balancing. While I'd love to have 160% production from mines for example, the fact is that there are better places to spend the credits on. I have my suspicions that there were a number of options/races available in the last game that nobody chose? This would be akin to having certain ships in the normal T-list that nobody builds. So in order to make these less-desirable options more appealing, they could be cheaper perhaps? This would mean that if you really wanted that free fighter building / 3 extra bays / 150% damage / sticky mines / etc, you can have it, but you'll be giving up quite a bit to get it.

Again, love the concept and think it's got huge appeal, just that some tweaking would be good. :)

Hawkeye

PS - Is it any wonder why the winners of the last game had such similar choices for their selections...?

Gilgamesh

Post#153 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah the low population and mc's were the breaker for me because you know I wouldn't want to play the borg but it seems like that's the only intelligent choice in this setup.

Is it too late to discuss that 4,000 thing? That kinda came out of the blue. I might be able to live with the Phost stuff but I'm not sure why we veered off the usual Very high population and mc's.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cardno

Post#154 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Yeah the low population and mc's were the breaker for me because you know I wouldn't want to play the borg but it seems like that's the only intelligent choice in this setup.

Is it too late to discuss that 4,000 thing? That kinda came out of the blue. I might be able to live with the Phost stuff but I'm not sure why we veered off the usual Very high population and mc's.
Because Bane is playing the lizards.... :wink:

Gilgamesh

Post#155 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Bane wanted the experience too, didn't he?

Maybe the game should be renamed "Bane's Selection" :P
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Hawkeye

Post#156 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Bane wanted the experience too, didn't he?

Maybe the game should be renamed "Bane's Selection" :P
Isn't "Bane's Selection" and "Unnatural Selection" the same thing? :P

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#157 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 am

Gilgamesh wrote:...and is there any way to determine the experience level of an enemy ship, or is it just a crapshoot that my level 0 ship is facing the same hull with level 4 experience?
You will not be able to see a ships experience before you engage it.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#158 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 am

Hawkeye wrote:One question :)

Will the poppers with FC = trg activate when an enemy ship with an advanced cloak is present? Or is an advanced cloak enough not to trigger the glory device?
No. Advance cloak it where cloak does not burn fuel. When a ship or race has the AntiCloakImmunity option, then they will be immune to the Glory pop and Loki.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#159 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 am

Gilgamesh wrote:http://www.circus-maximus.com/AutoTroll/game242.htm

4.000 clans and 4,000 credits on HW to start? That will slow things down a tad, won't it? 2-3 LDSFs worth of colonists going off world and your HW is pretty much pooched.

Definitely a big boost to the Borg there....
In the last scenario many of the players topped out on money and clans on their planets by turn 75 or before. This was with starting with 15 000 clans. The starting MC and clans decrease is to try and balance things a bit. Do not underestimate the Economy options that you see. Even the 120% options make a huge difference. Also, each HW has a 2000MC-4000MC native rock within 165Ly of their HW so money should be able to flow very soon.

A problem with the last versions was that players had to much minerals and MC to soon and this had a negative effect on the building of the smaller ships in early game. (Everybody just had many Gorbies and Virgos). You will also notice that I included more small and medium size ships. The idea is that we can see some nice ship combos playing a larger roll.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#160 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 am

Gilgamesh wrote: Is it too late to discuss that 4,000 thing? That kinda came out of the blue. I might be able to live with the Phost stuff but I'm not sure why we veered off the usual Very high population and mc's.
It's a bit late yes. The game is mastered and we already have signups.
I can however offer you some options that will make it easier. Like 120%-160% growth, tax, etc. Or just build smaller ships initially :)

lord vinny

Post#161 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Havok wrote:Everyone,

Once I open the game and you get a race slot (and your files) you will need to go to the following link to make your race selections.

http://vgap.innernet.co.za/customracecreator3.php

Do not do this until you have secured a race slot in the game.
ive been offline most of the week so forgive me if this has been answered already...but when is the selections gonna be ready to save? the page still says submissions not open yet... :(
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Return to “Game Suggestions”