Klingon Civil War in the fall?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Klauser

Post#91 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:35 am

Yeah - that was a dam shame. That one had alot of potential.

A real pleasure working on that with you as well - dunno anyone else that knows the game side of VGAP as well as you do.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Captain Blood

Post#92 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 am

Yes, the ideas behind arena was really good. Having a tournament scenario like arena would be great!

Figuring out the lenght of the scenarios/cluster size/victory condition etc. would as I see it be first part of it. Once the scenario setup had proved itself it can be used with alternative shiplists as I see it.

The idea of bringing the old fleet forward in arena to use against a new opponent was good teoretically, but it did kill the game. You would need to let the winners start again from basic in a new cluster once they advance.

Perhaps you could use the arena set up to play a all facist tournament, that would solve all balance problems related to race and shiplist.

Facist would be an interesting race to use in such a set up, as they are hard to master and against another facist they would be forced to guess a lot.

With all races equal, number of planets after 50/60/60 turns would be a good winning condition for the different stages. Cluster size could be 75/85/85. (Number of turns played should depend on race).

Regarding the number of ships and bases, I think the best way to solve that is to make the scenarios relative short and with limited minerals. No merlins or meteors. That should keep the amount of bases and ships down. Forcing the players to considder speed/numbers against quality.

I can understand if you considder arena dead and buried, but if not the above could be a slightly less ambitious version.
Regards,

Captain Blood

B A N E

Post#93 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:24 pm

The biggest issue with Arena was the host side management of it.
It required extensive host side intervention.
We were in discussion with Anubis about building a program to
manage everything that happened in game host side.

It was to be able to determine winner based upon conditions and
would adapt from phase to phase. It was going to be able to modify
the data files for ships / weapons etc. (phases, conflicts, evolution)
It was going to do it all without host intervention after turn 1.

Very cool conceptually, but real life (for all three of us) killed it. :(
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#94 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Klauser wrote:Yeah - that was a dam shame. That one had alot of potential.

A real pleasure working on that with you as well - dunno anyone else that knows the game side of VGAP as well as you do.
Get a room!

Akalabeth

Post#95 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm

My two daily destruction games both finished today (one here, the other at RCWorld).

Let's get this party started!

Return to “Game Suggestions”