VGAP circa 1100 AD and beyond

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

VGAP circa 1100 AD and beyond

Post#1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever created a game, using the VGAP engine, set in medieval times?

This would of course change the races to historical Nations (as in Age of Empires) or even fictitious ones made famous in popular novels.

The ships could be replaced with various types of armed troops or units, supply caravans or even siege engines. Perhaps Carriers could become Cavalry units and Torpers become Archer units...?

The maps could be altered to be continents or countries with holdings, villages, towns and cities marked instead of planets.

There are more ideas that could be added to make the switch which would put a new spin on, and could breath new life (for some of us anyway) into, what is our favourite old sci-fi game.

Addons like Machines of Yore could be converted to something like Lost Artefacts that are magic items or weapons touched by the gods or dark forces to allow special abilities.

The mind could run riot with ideas :D

Anyway, any thoughts? Has this been tried before? Would there be any interest in something like this?
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Gilgamesh

Post#2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Sounds vaguely like Evony.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Klauser

Post#3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm having a difficult time imagining how you would translate ships, torps, fighters, etc to a medieval theme. And how would you interpret VGAP race abilities for major powers during that era?

Having said that, if anyone is thinking of taking a serious stab at this idea, I'd strongly suggest you check out Grant Woodring's "Europe" map in the downloads area.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

FLETCH

Post#4 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:27 pm

I am not tech savvy in the slightest so I wouldn't know how to go about making something like this into a scenario or modified game.

I AM full of ideas though. If anyone is interested I would be happy to work with someone who does know the mechanics of things to put something together.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Hawkeye

Post#5 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 am

A while back when I was working in the I.T. field, I worked out that slacking around was more interesting than actually doing any real work, and started to design a planetary version of VGAP. It's something I'd like to get back into in the future when I have the time spare to devote to it (the game design, not the slacking).

The project itself would have been moderate in size - nothing fancy for battle animations, graphics ripped off the interweb, turn-based, website access for turns, and most importantly it would have games that finish.

The last one is the most important, as I've found out first hand that games that keep on going and going and going and going and going and, well you get the idea, they become pointless. Case in point: a while back I was playing one of these online multiplayer hack-n-slash games and would spend quite a bit of time getting to the next level, so that I could get the new armour and weapons, so I could kill tougher monsters so I could get the xp points to get to the next level to.... After I got to level 18 I dropped the game completely, because the whole experience was meaningless, and I just ended up feeling hollow about the whole thing.

That's why VGAP is so appealing - sure some games do drag out a while, but they all end up finishing eventually :wink:

Return to “Game Suggestions”