Gaming preferences. Swith race?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#16 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:44 pm

B A N E wrote:I'll be downloading the latest host and see if it works with
latest or not.

Seems to work with latest host.

I've got the docs printed up, and am taking them to work today to review them.
Best Regards,

Joe

Shardin5

Post#17 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Wouldn't it just be easier to you PHOST instead? does all that and MORE, plus the mission's don't have problems.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#18 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:50 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to you PHOST instead? does all that and MORE, plus the mission's don't have problems.

Probably so... Some people are reluctant to try PHOST out though... But we're working on that here :)
Best Regards,

Joe

Cherek

Post#19 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:04 pm

As I stated earlier (somewhere), the host can have PHost function just like THost and do the same thing as SRace without the the problems stated earlier and not using an add-on.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#20 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Sysop wrote:Probably so... Some people are reluctant to try PHOST out though... But we're working on that here :)

There are some people who like additional challenges and learn new things and then there are those who like to stay with what they are familiar with. I know that a lot of players are quite comfortable they their race or races capabilities using THost and good for them.

Those of us who likes the additional challenges there is PHost, FHost (which I will be trying in the future) and I believe that there are several other alterative host programs and a bunch of very nice add-ons.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#21 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Sysop wrote:Probably so... Some people are reluctant to try PHOST out though... But we're working on that here :)

There are some people who like additional challenges and learn new things and then there are those who like to stay with what they are familiar with. I know that a lot of players are quite comfortable they their race or races capabilities using THost and good for them.

Those of us who likes the additional challenges there is PHost, FHost (which I will be trying in the future) and I believe that there are several other alterative host programs and a bunch of very nice add-ons.

That's the beauty of VGAP. It's so flexible :)
Best Regards,

Joe

Killer_Tomato

Post#22 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:16 pm

Thank you for your effort, Havoc. Thanks also to Bane.

As I have not seen switch race being used anywhere, I wondered whether it was compatible with the latest THOST. If it is, however, I believe it represents very little trouble for the Host.

Hey, wait a second... Is it my impression or did Shardin and Cherek actually agree on something?? Oh, my, this can't be good...

Sysop wrote:
B A N E wrote:I'll be downloading the latest host and see if it works with
latest or not.

Seems to work with latest host.

I've got the docs printed up, and am taking them to work today to review them.

Shardin5

Post#23 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:29 am

Hey soup,
Cherek and I agree every so often, why don't you join game40, and see how much fun a PHOST game is.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

the.Ant

Post#24 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:44 am

Killer_Tomato wrote:What I like about switch race is the fact that it allows everybody to play with their prefered race. Besides, it stops the usual complain "I lost because my race sucks...". It is even more fun when you start the game without knowledge of other players choice...

Point is though, you can loose, because you are very unlucky with the planets surrounding your starting position, but if you loose because your race sucks, you are just a bad player.

True, if you don't know which races you are facing (and preferably no score as well), it might be quite thrilling, but it might be quite annoying if you have to fight of x privateers...

Probably would try it anyways, but not right now.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#25 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 pm

B A N E wrote:
Sysop wrote:
B A N E wrote:I'm going to DL the files, make a seperate install of everything
and start fiddling. I'll get back to you.

Sounds good. Thanks 8)

Ok, just got some preliminary fiddling done.

Any combination of races is possible.
It's not much work at all for the host.
It's a bit more for the players.
If players use VPA it's easier.

Just follow the documentation and it works.

Sounds pretty interesting. In fact, it might be interesting to have an all Feds (or other torp race) and an all Cylon (or other fighter race) game. That way there could be no complaints like, "Your race is easier to play than mine."

How does VPA make it easier on the player?

B A N E

Post#26 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:40 pm

How does VPA make it easier on the player?

Oh sure, ask me now that I've deleted the temp directory.
:wink:
IIRC, I just tossed a few files into a vpwork directory and played
VPA as whatever race position #1-#B as if normal and VPA picked
up that it was SRace.

Killer_Tomato

Post#27 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:51 pm

Sure, having a bad starting position is another excuse I am used to hear...

In fact, I thnk I am not a good vgap player. Whenever I manage to win it is never because I have played well, but rather because my adversary:
a) had a weak race
b) had a bad starting position
c) had not time to play his turns well
d) has any other excuse he finds appropriate to explain how he lost to such a bad player like me :)

I am used to that.

Talking about stating position, I however agree that if you have a race that needs some time to get developed, has a very bad starting position AND faces war real soon against another race you might be in trouble. But then, that is part of the game, is not it?
Besides, overcoming adversity is very rewarding...
As a roman writer once said (Horace):
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant."

About privs, I think they might be in trouble in a switch race game if most other players have Lokis, Glory devices, web mines ...
In fact, that is why the choice of races is interesting. Figuring out what the final combination of races will be is part of the game...

Hope to see you join a switch race game!

the.Ant wrote:
Killer_Tomato wrote:What I like about switch race is the fact that it allows everybody to play with their prefered race. Besides, it stops the usual complain "I lost because my race sucks...". It is even more fun when you start the game without knowledge of other players choice...

Point is though, you can loose, because you are very unlucky with the planets surrounding your starting position, but if you loose because your race sucks, you are just a bad player.

True, if you don't know which races you are facing (and preferably no score as well), it might be quite thrilling, but it might be quite annoying if you have to fight of x privateers...

Probably would try it anyways, but not right now.

hennef

Post#28 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:37 pm

switch race sounds realy interesting.

but this T-LIST.....why do the feds need a ship with low tech and 10 beams??? WHY??? they got HPs on every ship later on. why 10? why give the colonials a good medium carrier? to make them more like the robots??? why why why?

only real good thing: sdsf and mdsf get more cargo-space and the other freighters get better as well!
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Game Suggestions”