Who Wants A Daily Game?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Who Wants A Daily Game?

Yes Milord ][avok! I want to play in a daily game!
64%
Nay Milord. That's to much for me. I'm an old lady and can't handle the stress. I over analyse my turns and it takes me hours just to move a few ships.
27%
What's VGA Planets?
9%
Total votes: 11

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#16 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:33 pm

hennef wrote: wrong you are: the best universal ship for the robot is the automa. golems are way more expensive and the automa kills everything execpt the real mighty carriers (those where you only win by fighting from the left side). AUTOMA ROCKS!!!

but right you are: cybernaut (and pawn) is utterly useless. but with those stats it gets intersting. and they gave some sense to the scorpius as well. good.
Hmmm... The Automa costs 2500MCr. the Golem 3400MCr. For a 35% increase in cost you get a 50% increase in beams and cargo, and a 25% increase in fighter bays, and a 50% increase in mass. (...and probably a 100% increase in inflicted terror, heh, heh...)

I haven't done any simulations but I'll bet that increase would result in a 50% increase in heavy torp ships destroyed, as well. Pre-ship limit, the Golem is, I'd say, worth the money, if you've got a good amount of money, at least. The drawback, of course, is a reduction in mobility. You build fewer Golems than Automas, so your forces are more concentrated and less flexible.

Cherek

Post#17 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Well, after watching an Automa take out 4 loaded T-Rexs and is currently being repaired, I'm readjusting my thinking about Automas. Bigger doesn't always mean it's the right choice.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Killer_Tomato

Post#18 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Sorry, Zaphod, but I think you are missing a very important point about the bots: they lack duranium. Automa costs almost half a Golem in terms of dur, and fight almost as well. That is why bots need several Automas to complement their nice Golems.

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
hennef wrote: wrong you are: the best universal ship for the robot is the automa. golems are way more expensive and the automa kills everything execpt the real mighty carriers (those where you only win by fighting from the left side). AUTOMA ROCKS!!!

but right you are: cybernaut (and pawn) is utterly useless. but with those stats it gets intersting. and they gave some sense to the scorpius as well. good.
Hmmm... The Automa costs 2500MCr. the Golem 3400MCr. For a 35% increase in cost you get a 50% increase in beams and cargo, and a 25% increase in fighter bays, and a 50% increase in mass. (...and probably a 100% increase in inflicted terror, heh, heh...)

I haven't done any simulations but I'll bet that increase would result in a 50% increase in heavy torp ships destroyed, as well. Pre-ship limit, the Golem is, I'd say, worth the money, if you've got a good amount of money, at least. The drawback, of course, is a reduction in mobility. You build fewer Golems than Automas, so your forces are more concentrated and less flexible.

B A N E

Post#19 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Automa vs Golem (Twarp/Disruptors)
2500 vs 3400 $
800 vs 1160 minerals
560 vs 850 mass
200 vs 300 cargo

It's a 3/2 ratio.
The Automa is the choice to make prior to the ship limit.
The Golem is the choice after the limit.
There's no loss by going with the Automa early and much to gain.

If a Bot can build 30 Automas as opposed to 20 Golems prior
to the limit, then that is 10 less ships that his enemies will have.

This of course would be adjusted based upon proximity to the ship limit.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#20 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Well, after watching an Automa take out 4 loaded T-Rexs and is currently being repaired, I'm readjusting my thinking about Automas. Bigger doesn't always mean it's the right choice.
Automa's can be monsters. And pair of them with the right support ships are damn near impossible to stop in the short term.
Best Regards,

Joe

hennef

Post#21 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm

That is exactly what i was thinking 8)
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Game Suggestions”