Game suggestion

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Rimstalker

Re: Game suggestion

Post#16 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:25 pm

which brings us back to the 'no one wants to play rare universes anymore' thingi
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Gilgamesh

Post#17 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

The idea of assigned races is a bit iffy for me. I'd go in if I could play, oh I don't know, let's say the Klingons :) but if I drew the Empire by lottery, probably not so much fun.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#18 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 pm

If folks don't like low mineral games, then try turning Alchemy OFF including the Cobol ramscoop.
That will definitely have an impact on the economy and ensure that the game will end one way or another.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Wacky

Post#19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

As far as I am considered: Main problem why a game bogs down is because of SIZE.
Controlling 50 planets and 50 ships is doable. When you're talking about 100 planets and 100 ships it becomes a real drag.
Also, with 11 players neighbours are not to far away, but with only 5 left because half is dead, everyone is REALLY far away.

FIX: Smaller universe.
This will either result in players being on each others lip (quicker first contact) or one should play with less players. Since people complain about not having enemies, I suggest just letting players be closer to each other, and make a map with 250 planets, 1400x1400 LY across (wrap-around boundaries, for more neighbours).

Second problem (for some) - ever retreating players and use of starbases as main defense.

FIX: More expensive starbases (at LEAST twice as expensive, but I have nothing against x4).
This will mean resource-wise it will often advisable to use ships in stead of starbases in defense.
As a side effect, it will be harder to crank up your starship production at the beginning of the game, resulting in less ships and a later time at which the shiplimit is reached.

Yes it would seriously affect the way you play the game, but it would mean ships count, and what you do with them counts.
It might result in shifts in the balance of races, but those can always be compensated by tweaking tax/mining/supply production/free fighters.

Cardno

Post#20 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I agree that all the things you mention are factors which can impact a game.

For me, I try to balance maximum ship production before the ship queue, with expansion. Good expansion assists greatly with proximty and therefore, the capability to fight and bring war to your neighbours. From experience, focussing on maximising ship production often = an inabilty (for much of the game) to bring significant war to significant parts of the map. The cause of this often isn't just about what others do but what YOU do. Many players seem to try to avoid conflict until after ship queue is reached just so they can maximise their ship production. I think this is a major problem with the way many play the game and how it impacts the game.

It is possible to counter maxed out starbases. It often means building 'fighter killing ships' which you are prepare to sacrifice if neccessary, then followed by a nice capital ship. Every race has one. If you take down half the fighters in a maxed out starbase using this method, you can kill it quite easily with a half decent capital ship following. I guess a really good player who ends up with 50 or so starbases does present a problem. But I think it can be done.

There are some players here who are better than me who I think do not just 'sit and build their fleets'. Perhaps they have some comments to make as well.

Super Tech

Post#21 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm

I imagine that MBR#1 and SSD#500 would be useful against maxed out star bases.

Rimstalker

Post#22 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Cardno wrote:I agree that all the things you mention are factors which can impact a game.

For me, I try to balance maximum ship production before the ship queue, with expansion. Good expansion assists greatly with proximty and therefore, the capability to fight and bring war to your neighbours. From experience, focussing on maximising ship production often = an inabilty (for much of the game) to bring significant war to significant parts of the map. The cause of this often isn't just about what others do but what YOU do. Many players seem to try to avoid conflict until after ship queue is reached just so they can maximise their ship production. I think this is a major problem with the way many play the game and how it impacts the game.

It is possible to counter maxed out starbases. It often means building 'fighter killing ships' which you are prepare to sacrifice if neccessary, then followed by a nice capital ship. Every race has one. If you take down half the fighters in a maxed out starbase using this method, you can kill it quite easily with a half decent capital ship following. I guess a really good player who ends up with 50 or so starbases does present a problem. But I think it can be done.

There are some players here who are better than me who I think do not just 'sit and build their fleets'. Perhaps they have some comments to make as well.
current settings are way too rich, and the games use Teleport to boot. In the Pit 3, I have spent minerals on 8 or 9 launchers so far (15 000 kts each), have bases on basically all my 70 or so planets and transwarp, HP Rushs in the queue for roughly the next 150 planet IDs.

I can really recommend a SUPER rare universe (300 kts of all minerals combined on planets on average, horrible densities) with the Penger shiplist. Merlins cost the same there, but have 300 cargospace, all ships and high tech ship components are horribly expensive in mcs.

http://www.rcworld.de/downloads/vgapfil ... er312.html
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

wasp

Post#23 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:26 pm

I can't imagine myself in such a SUPER rare unverse game... I find it difficult to build lots of ships with teleport and rich seetings...

Of course it's my fault, I don't play as well as you. You really have to create a vgaplanets academy and teach some of that stuff.... cleary i'm doing something wrong.
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

FLETCH

Post#24 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 am

I have been spruiking the virtues of a smaller set up game with fewer planets, smaller universe and lower turn limit for years now. I don't ever seem to get much support in the forums whenever I suggest it though. This suits those who have a busy life/family that struggles to cope with the 100 ship 100 planet situation. Don't worry though, I won't go into it any further here.

I see the use of Star Bases as a valid strategy. As Cardno said, a good player will build ships suited to their purpose, not just a one muscle ship fits all scenario.

Personally I don't see the attraction of a game where you can't afford to do ANYTHING for turns at a time. I agree some games are over resourced, the AQ series is notorious for it. I myself have had a lot of fun in that one but I don't join them specifically for that aspect, however it lends itself to big battles between fleets of ships adding to the excitement. I guess that is what the game descriptions are for, if you aren't into a certain set up then don't join. I'm sure if there is interest in something different then ][avok or Bitmask will build it.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Post#25 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 am

I was tempted to mention AQ games myself. Talk about SUPER rich....

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#26 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 am

They are built the same riches as normal games, but torp ships use less resources so it seem super rich.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 am

wasp wrote: Of course it's my fault, I don't play as well as you. You really have to create a vgaplanets academy and teach some of that stuff.... cleary i'm doing something wrong.
You might want to read my Klingon guide. There are good pointers in the for you B-)

Cardno

Post#28 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 am

Genesis Device

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#29 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 am

That is not the universe, that is a game feature that change the universe :)

Cardno

Post#30 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

BitMask wrote:That is not the universe, that is a game feature that change the universe :)
Now Mr Bitmask....... The end result is that in AQ games there tends to be a SHITLOAD of minerals (and many more BOVIND Planets....)

Return to “Game Suggestions”