You asked....

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Zaphod Beeblebrox

You asked....

Post#1 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:24 am

][avok wrote:I am also taking any ideas and suggestions into consideration for new games. If there is a scenario, ship list, host version...etc.. that you're interested in, now is the time to bring it up. Best Regards - Joe
Have I mentioned that I like TList? :shock:

Sysop
Site Admin

Re: You asked....

Post#2 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:26 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
][avok wrote:I am also taking any ideas and suggestions into consideration for new games. If there is a scenario, ship list, host version...etc.. that you're interested in, now is the time to bring it up. Best Regards - Joe
Have I mentioned that I like TList? :shock:
Really? TLIST? I don't think I've heard you say that before. 8)
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#3 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am

Honestly I'm not really crazy about most of the add-ons. I'd like to try TKF and FHOST. I'm not sure a standard ship list (or TLIST) would work out very well with FHOST.

Maybe we should create our own ship lists. One for PHOST, THOST, and FHOST.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#4 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:50 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Honestly I'm not really crazy about most of the add-ons. I'd like to try TKF and FHOST. I'm not sure a standard ship list (or TLIST) would work out very well with FHOST.

We did just that with FHOST years ago. It's called CBLIST. If I remember correctly since I had very little involvement with it, it was basically a list to equalize things. For instance, everyone's large carrier has roughly the same abilities and cargo room. Things like that... That was done to take advantage of what FHOST offers, not to offset the standard game.
Last edited by Sysop on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#5 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:07 pm

Sysop wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Honestly I'm not really crazy about most of the add-ons. I'd like to try TKF and FHOST. I'm not sure a standard ship list (or TLIST) would work out very well with FHOST.

We did just that with FHOST years ago. It's called CBLIST. If I remember correctly since I had very little involvement with it, it was basically a list to equalize things. For instance, everyone's large carrier has roughly the same abilities and cargo room. Things like that... That was done to take advantage of what THOST offers, not to offset the standard game.
I think TLIST is a good place to start for THOST games. I'm sure there are a lot of things in there that people who regularly play certain races don't like though.

I haven't looked at FHOST enough to know what is a good plan for it. What about things like the bird's and cloaking. To stay in character their ships should cloak, yes? That would meant that if their large carrier were just as capable as everyone else's it would have an additional advantage. Unbalancing.

Now that I start thinking about it, what I think is needed is for each race to have a set of point values associated with every component of ship building. Every race could add whatever they want to their ships, but they would cost different amounts of points. For instance: a cloaking device would cost less for the birds than for the feds. But maybe torp tubes would cost less for the feds, or hull mass. What would be REALLY cool, would be to be able to design ships on the fly, as the game progresses.

I guess this is sort of like VGAP-4, from what I've seen of it. (which isn't much.)

Any thoughts?

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#6 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:49 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:

We did just that with FHOST years ago. It's called CBLIST. If I remember correctly since I had very little involvement with it, it was basically a list to equalize things. For instance, everyone's large carrier has roughly the same abilities and cargo room. Things like that... That was done to take advantage of what THOST offers, not to offset the standard game.
I think TLIST is a good place to start for FHOST games. I'm sure there are a lot of things in there that people who regularly play certain races don't like though.

I haven't looked at FHOST enough to know what is a good plan for it. What about things like the bird's and cloaking. To stay in character their ships should cloak, yes? That would meant that if their large carrier were just as capable as everyone else's it would have an additional advantage. Unbalancing.

Now that I start thinking about it, what I think is needed is for each race to have a set of point values associated with every component of ship building. Every race could add whatever they want to their ships, but they would cost different amounts of points. For instance: a cloaking device would cost less for the birds than for the feds. But maybe torp tubes would cost less for the feds, or hull mass. What would be REALLY cool, would be to be able to design ships on the fly, as the game progresses.

I guess this is sort of like VGAP-4, from what I've seen of it. (which isn't much.)

Any thoughts?
One of the reasons it was done for instance is fighter strikes.

The bird and privateers have crap for carriers, and the big thing with FHOST is carrier based combat... So their ships were equalized with the other carrier races in CBList so those races could participate in the same way as the other races.

The idea behind it was the players would play the mod, not the normal game.
Best Regards,

Joe

Flying Scotsman

Post#7 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Honestly I'm not really crazy about most of the add-ons. I'd like to try TKF

TKF!? Really? What a great idea. Let's do that right away and not wait for anything else..... :D
Flying Scotsman
Lower Quintania
"Never give up, Never surrender"
Commander Taggert, Galaxyquest

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#8 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Flying Scotsman wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Honestly I'm not really crazy about most of the add-ons. I'd like to try TKF

TKF!? Really? What a great idea. Let's do that right away and not wait for anything else..... :D
I'd be happy to do it if someone register's it for me :)
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#9 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Sysop wrote:
Flying Scotsman wrote:

I don't think the host has to register it. I'm pretty sure it's the players that have to register the viewer, isn't it?

Sadly, I won't be joining any games for a while. I have to take a break from, well, pretty much all forms of recreation.

I'll be happy to talk trash on the forums though. :twisted:

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#10 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:
Flying Scotsman wrote:
I don't think the host has to register it. I'm pretty sure it's the players that have to register the viewer, isn't it?

Sadly, I won't be joining any games for a while. I have to take a break from, well, pretty much all forms of recreation.

I guess that means no more Trillian to eh :wink:
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#11 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Sysop wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote: Sadly, I won't be joining any games for a while. I have to take a break from, well, pretty much all forms of recreation.

OK, I guess I don't really mean all forms of entertainment.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#12 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote: Sadly, I won't be joining any games for a while. I have to take a break from, well, pretty much all forms of recreation.

And don't forget to have her cook you a good meal. 8)
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#13 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:12 am

Sysop wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:
And don't forget to have her cook you a good meal. 8)
It's probably fortunate she can't reach you physically. She'd hurt her hand.

Return to “Game Suggestions”