New games

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

New games

Post#1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Is there any interest in another Daily Destruction game (other than Wasp).

Also let me know if there's anything else you would like to see in forthcoming games. Thanks.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Re: New games

Post#2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:40 pm

For me, another NF game in September or so please.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 pm

At some point in the future it would be good to see a game that is:

Xenophobia - no allies, naps, truces, pacts, or trading. Everyone is an enemy.
Pit style map
Invitational game
Normal Pit levels of minerals and settings
Add-ons Teleport, Asteroids, Machines of Yore
No quitters - exiting of the game only allowed once reduced to zero starbases, no self-sabotage either
Game finishes after both (a) 125 turns played, and (b) no rank/score cross-overs for the last 25 turns
Improved ship list (ie one that makes certain ships now worth while building)

I like this setup.

Good Luck with no quitters :shock:

wasp

Post#4 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:48 pm

That's a very interesting setup.

What is "no rank/score cross-overs for the last 25 turns" BTW? How do you prevent people from quitting?
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Raven2

Post#5 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Hawkeye wrote:At some point in the future it would be good to see a game that is:

Xenophobia - no allies, naps, truces, pacts, or trading. Everyone is an enemy.
Pit style map
Invitational game
Normal Pit levels of minerals and settings
Add-ons Teleport, Asteroids, Machines of Yore
No quitters - exiting of the game only allowed once reduced to zero starbases, no self-sabotage either
Game finishes after both (a) 125 turns played, and (b) no rank/score cross-overs for the last 25 turns
Improved ship list (ie one that makes certain ships now worth while building)
I''d probably be up for that Hawk, but I'm not sure how you enforce the no quitting rule. Making it invitational only will help.
>>> Raven <<<

wasp

Post#6 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Also, maybe make the map smaller? When yu conquer some race it's hard to move all those light years
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Hawkeye

Post#7 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:56 am

wasp wrote:That's a very interesting setup.

What is "no rank/score cross-overs for the last 25 turns" BTW? How do you prevent people from quitting?
Q1: Basically it's so that the final rankings of the players are well and truly decided by the game end. Imagine playing in a game where it's set to end at turn XXX and if were only to go on for a few turns more you'd secure a higher place, maybe third? The way this works is that once the score graphs on the game page have no lines crossing over for the last 25 turns (ie players rank remains unchanged), then the game is ok to end (minimum 125 turns) - hope this makes sense

Q2: Nobody likes being a chew-toy for another player, but on the other hand, if everyone quit once they were no longer having fun, then this ruins the fun for the players that are enjoying the game. In short its a bit selfish [-X I've had games where players have said "I'm no longer enjoying this game, so lets put out the suggestion to end it" and then setup a voting system in the forums. Basically I want to avoid this sort of thing happening by having a defined criteria for game end. However if a player is down to one planet, no starbases and a couple of ships, then it should be ok to hand over to the computer player (or racekill / other)

Hawk

Hawkeye

Post#8 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:58 am

wasp wrote:Also, maybe make the map smaller? When yu conquer some race it's hard to move all those light years

Good call :thumbup: I'm thinking perhaps a map where the clusters are say 50% closer to the centre cluster

Raven2

Post#9 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
wasp wrote:Also, maybe make the map smaller? When yu conquer some race it's hard to move all those light years

Good call :thumbup: I'm thinking perhaps a map where the clusters are say 50% closer to the centre cluster
That will definitely accelerate combat, and will make it easy for a victor to "mop up" a vanquished victim. On the flip side, it will signficantly impact the "big boys" -- Colonies, Rebels, Borg, Robots -- who need time to get their economies built up to the point where they can support their fleets. In a smaller universe, they'll be found sooner by the torper races, and any competent Federation, Klingon, Romulan or Lizard captain who finds a carrier race early knows to strike now or make an ally. Since there are no allies, that leaves only one option.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing out a consequence of reducing standard map size. If you want to make the game a bit more challenging for the "big boys", that's fine.
>>> Raven <<<

wasp

Post#10 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 pm

A smaller map maybe also balances the game. Any "big boys" that are left, will probably be ready to face a smaller opponent that already has lots of territory and ships.

And maybe accelarate the game in the begining, 4 times a week until turn 25/30 ???

In the end, a movie or something better, like a way to know the actually ships that are moving instead of points in the screen. Anyone works with computer graphics could give a hand??

Return to “Game Suggestions”