5 Teams of 2 in a hat.

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

B A N E

5 Teams of 2 in a hat.

Post#1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:14 pm

During an IM discussion, I thought of a game.

5 Teams of 2 with a twist.

Drop your name into the game, but you don't get to pick your race
nor your partner. We'd need a person not in the game to draw slots.

No alliances outside of the one partner.
No non-aggs as well.

Something like:
Fed/CofM->Liz/Borg->Bird/Rebels->Fascist/Bots->Crystal/EE->Fed/CofM

If we didn't want to worry about balance of the teams,
We could toss races in the hat and you get what ya get with who you get.
This way we could even toss in the privies.

Map idea could be a ring or clusters in a circle.

Might be lots of fun.
Might just be crazy.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#2 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Sounds interesting. I like the idea that you don't get to pick your race or your partner.

FLETCH

Post#3 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:25 am

I made a game suggestion that was vaguely similar to this in a PM to Havok some time ago. I think game balance in the race mixes would be important but the randomness of the rest would be cool. Clusters in a circle might give more options rather then a ring cluster.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

FLETCH

Post#4 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:38 am

Just a quick addition. The person drawing slots picks the races to be paired up as well. You only know your own ally, not who the others are.... Just tossing in a few suggestions. I'd probably be keen in something like this if there is enough interest.
FLETCH

hennef

Post#5 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:55 am

i like that

why not use the new map some of you came up with lately? - this cluster-ring-thing. it looked cool.
have fun!

hennef

Mika

Post#6 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:13 am

we had such a game at battlestar and moved over to this host. Unfortunately the game ended due to a lack of interest... may have to do with some big webs someone laid.

We had 5 planets for scoring (points for each turn a team holds one of them) but all that scoring stuff is not necessary if you ask me.

Just have your teams and fight it out to death or until the players agree that one team can't be stopped anymore.

And I wouldn't recommend a cluster map in these games. A simple map with sphere seems best to me. Just because it is exremely hard to cross the open space between the clusters for all races except one. I would also recommend to leave the privs out. Especially if you get random races in your team. I wouldn't think it's funny to play as Empire/Borg vs Lizard/Priv or something.

At battlestar we had following mode to get the races

The host had a number between 0 and 100 and the 5 teams (the captain of a team) had to guess it. The closest bet may start the race choice. But only one of the two races... So the first one has the first AND the last choice. The second one has the second choice and the 9th one... then 3/8, 4/7 and the team with the worst guess can pick two races at once.

That was pretty nice and I think we ended up with very nice teams. Even though it was a strange thing what other teams wanted... eg the first team picked the Feds and we already laughed because they would end up with Fed/Fascist but someone took the Fascists first and they got the Empire for some unknown reason.

Our teams were
Fed/Empire
Lizard/Colonies
Borg/Robots
Fascists/Rebels
Birds/Crystals

Bird/Crystal was the worst bet so we (yup, played the crystals) could pick those sneaky cloakers AND the annoying web layers :)

Well... that are just my thoughts on that topic. I thought it might help because I just played a game with 5 teams.

And of course I would be interested to do another... was pretty funny. But as said... a cluster map is not really what I think is best for such a game. Especially when you already have one ally you have one front less and that makes defending easier. It just makes strong races (I mean the simple brutal firepower) stronger and those who have to rely on tactical things have an even harder life. In a random map with sphere you have to play much more aggressive and that makes every game more fun than sit around and build up everything you can and finally throw it in and see who survives...

Just my 0.02€

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Rimstalker

Post#7 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:33 am

FLETCH wrote:Just a quick addition. The person drawing slots picks the races to be paired up as well. You only know your own ally, not who the others are.... Just tossing in a few suggestions. I'd probably be keen in something like this if there is enough interest.

You can find out who is allied to whom within a couple of turns at the cost of a few torps.

And I love cluster maps, so I am all in for one.

If the teams were really random, a bit of a economic or ground assault bonus for seemingly weaker combos might be called for. Also a team like fed-fascist would be just so horribly bad, maybe a redraw would be advisable then.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Mika

Post#8 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am

Could someone tell me what map we are talking about?
May be a screenshot or something?

just to have a look.......
Oderint dum metuant.

B A N E

Post#9 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:13 am

Here's a link to 4 or 5 different takes on cluster maps.
http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=720

One is where the clusters form a ring.
I do not think a distinct cluster map would be good.
(where there are 10 or 5 clusters and they have gulfs)

Truly random races really can goof up the balance.
I tossed that out simply as an idea for spice, not balance.

I like the pick sequence as well.
1&10, 2&9, 3&8, 4&7, 5&6

I had no expectation of the teams/players being unknown after the game
started. The only way to keep that secret would be an honor system and
that would shut down the banter...which is part of the game.

I figured the players would drop their names in the hat.
The designated *ref* would then draw out the names and put
them together into teams.

Then either use the random race hat draw or allow the pick sequence
offered above by Mika.

This would allow 10 players to team up and work closely with someone
they perhaps haven't done so before.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

FLETCH

Post#10 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:30 am

I tossed in the unknown allies idea just to keep people guessing for the beginning portion of the game but I agree that it might hinder the banter as B A N E said. If the names were put in a hat and drawn out into random pairs, those people can then chat between themselves and figure out what their preferences are for a pick in the sequence suggested. I also like the map that was tossed up for another up coming game. The one with the clusters spaced around, and connected to, the larger cluster in the middle.
FLETCH

B A N E

Post#11 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:38 am

Lemme fiddle with a map program and see what I can come up
with. While I like the flower map for WC, I derivative for 5x2 would
in my imagination work better.

I'll be back on that.

Completely blind would be rough.
My favorite tourney was Sharenet's blind years back.
Not knowing anything about my opponent was really cool.
But that harder to do with a small group of players.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Mika

Post#12 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:38 am

If I had to choose from one of the maps of the other thread (thanks for the link, bane) I would vote vor Bane's map. The only problem I see in this map is that it has 11 clusters. That would leave one cluster open.

Never had anything to do with such map making tools... is it hard work to reduce it to 10 clusters? Would be a big advantage for the teams that have only one unfriendly neighbour while the other side is just empty...

Or is that no problem?

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.

Cherek

Post#13 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 am

B A N E wrote:The only way to keep that secret would be an honor system and that would shut down the banter...which is part of the game.

Cut down on what banter? Besides, banter between allies does keep everyone in the dark, ask the players in No Frills III. :lol:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Rimstalker

Post#14 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 am

we could also make it a phost game and every player gets to pick his race from the 11 races. Toss that in with random partners and see how many fed-fed teams emerge :).
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Cherek

Post#15 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:25 am

Rimstalker wrote:we could also make it a phost game and every player gets to pick his race from the 11 races. Toss that in with random

Making it a PHost would make it more interesting, wish I could play in it. All the players would have to send their race pick to the host.
Last edited by Cherek on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Game Suggestions”